Chi/Ki - questions

achilles95

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been told that Ki, or Chi, is an energy conjured from deep within oneself that can give extra power to blows.

Is this the definition?

Does it really exist?

If so, how can it be used?

Thanks

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been told that Ki, or Chi, is an energy conjured from deep within oneself that can give extra power to blows.

Is this the definition?

Does it really exist?

If so, how can it be used?

Thanks

The term Qi (chi) literally means "breath". It is an energy considered to circulate throughout the body. It can be cultivated through meditation and qigong (lit "breath exercise") and the practice of internal martial arts which are all about Qi.

Does it really exist? I happen to think so but not in the somewhat supernatural manner it is so often presented in. Rather Qi flows from having certain things in harmony - Yi (the reasoning mind) and Shen (the spirit). when these are properly harmonised then Qi flows properly and you will find movements, especially in martial arts, easier. Qi doesn't really let you do anything superhuman.

Can it be used to give blows more power? I suppose so. When motion is easier and balanced technique is improved. Then there is fajin which is a way of utilising the harmony of Yi, Shen, and Qi to produce Jin ("energy"). In arts like XingYi, Taiji, and Bagua Jin and Fa jin are important aspects that are goals for parts of the training process.

It would be nice to walk on water, leap over trees, and punch holes in walls though.

OP
achilles95

achilles95

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The term Qi (chi) literally means "breath". It is an energy considered to circulate throughout the body. It can be cultivated through meditation and qigong (lit "breath exercise") and the practice of internal martial arts which are all about Qi.

Does it really exist? I happen to think so but not in the somewhat supernatural manner it is so often presented in. Rather Qi flows from having certain things in harmony - Yi (the reasoning mind) and Shen (the spirit). when these are properly harmonised then Qi flows properly and you will find movements, especially in martial arts, easier. Qi doesn't really let you do anything superhuman.

Can it be used to give blows more power? I suppose so. When motion is easier and balanced technique is improved. Then there is fajin which is a way of utilising the harmony of Yi, Shen, and Qi to produce Jin ("energy"). In arts like XingYi, Taiji, and Bagua Jin and Fa jin are important aspects that are goals for parts of the training process.

It would be nice to walk on water, leap over trees, and punch holes in walls though.

Interesting, thanks for that. I once watched a demonstration in which a man shoved his adversary without using Qi, and then shoved while supposedly using Qi to accompany the shove. His adversary appeared to fall much further away, but I wasn't sure if it was a sham or not.

Do you know what kind of meditation/breathing exercises are used to form Qi?

Nobody

Green Belt
Reaction score
achilles95 said:
Do you know what kind of meditation/breathing exercises are used to form Qi?

The very first thing is to consciously breath correctly. The second thing is that you should be able to feel the magnetic effect after getting this feeling you can than move on to what is being able to move the Qi around your body. So names of system that help with Qi development are Qigong's like Eighteen Buddha Hand Qigong, Wudang Qigong, Ba Duan Jin(Eight Pieces of Brocade), Yi Jin Jing(Sinew Transforming Exercise). These are all based on how one breathes correctly the less contact with which your breath has on first entrance into the mouth or the nose has an effect on how the development of this energy is in that there is less force required so more positive effect is developed by requiring less power or concentration you can develop more of the concentration to were it is needed.

The magnet effect in are bone supposedly are made of type of minerals an become in essence a crystalline structure of which magnet can have a negative effect on or a positive effect. To much power from a magnetic field around you can cause bone cancer. Not to say you can cause your own bone cancer by doing this but for basic info. The created effect is from the breath it cause the blood to circulate faster an as this happens you become more aware of the feeling of the magnet you can produce. This helps cause the blood effect is to increase circulation an this cause the electrical response supposed to help create the magnetic feel to your feet an hands often.

How one practice the Qigong based exercises will directly lead to how sensitive he is physically so that is the base of how one does develop Qi. The thing is you actually get your Qi from the kidneys at first in life. Than you get it from the food, also you get it from the air as well to support basic organ function. Last from the environment you choose to live in meaning your emotions or you view of life positive or negative. This is not to say that negative creates any less Qi it just is negative Qi, just as positive emotion builds positive Qi. There is only these gentle feeling or sensed thing that will leed on to know or how or what Qi is, in the end like emotion can not be measured yet. Again this just touches on the first things you will learn about how to develop Qi. After that i would say it is very hard to advance past certain points without someone there to assist you. There are certain point need to advance in your Qi training at that level.

Steel Tiger said:

At this point is when one starts realizing that there is a difference between the soul, spirit an mind. It requires the spirit an the mind to lead. I agree with what Steel Tiger is saying here.

Latest Discussions