CHI ? Have a look at This Clip Sifu Mooney moves subjects without touching them.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by white dragon

However, if you can convince someone that you've hit them when you haven't come close, isn't that a good art?

To answer that short : nope....... the wrong word here is convince. There would be no-convince if it was correct.

:asian:

/Yari

OP
W

white dragon

ok I see your point there. But still, despite it being no more than a magic trick I'd like to learn it... just because it looks good, not for a martial arts purpose.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Magic is really fun, but nothing else. It's fun to watch a good magician. It's also fun to do some small tricks for family and friends. But make it into something it ain't!

Enjoy!

/Yari

OP
G

GouRonin

I always think of that magician martial arts guy who created a system using slight of hand in applying it. Of course when he revealed that he hid things in his bum I sorta lost interest.
:eek:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin
Of course when he revealed that he hid things in his bum I sorta lost interest.
:eek:

I hope it wasn't a katana.... :rofl:

/yari

OP
V

vincefuess

He counts on the mutual respect martial artists share. What if (just a what if) someone he was performing his no-touch chi upon were to haul off and bitchslap him in the middle of the demo?

Not that this is a suggestion, nor anything I would want to see done- but many martial magicians get by on the kindness of others. Nobody wants to point out a charlatan in the middle of their demo on the school mat, especially if he is a nice guy.

You would instantly be the bad guy. BUT... what would happen? Would your slap be magically diverted?

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
He uses it to make people drop knives held to his throat or to make a charging attacker fall to the ground and drop his knife.

I can do that... usally saturday morning, or sunday, and I use my ki(through my mouth....) Take your pick...

:rofl:

I'm a little bit old when it comes to things like that: I've gotta try it before believing in it.

OP
V

vincefuess

My views on this topic usually begin with the initials B.S. I have seen the Mooney clips (in fact I saved them to disk for reference) and find them unimpressive. I have seen these tricks done SO many times. The demonstrator always uses a "patsy" to demonstrate- never a seasoned martial artist who will no doubt make them look bad.

Don't get me wrong- there are a great many things a dedicated martial artist CAN do that seems superhuman to the non-practitioner- but this stuff is, well... what I said before.

I had a guy get all chapped with me one time because he said his master could levitate. I suggested he do it on firm ground of MY choice- not a prepped stage. Such demos were beneath them I was told. I told them fraud is a punishable crime.

There is enough to master in REAL martial arts- don't waste time chasing magic.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I mentioned this before, but Mooney has been given the opportunity to prove his claims under controlled conditions several times. Each time, he agrees to do it until the actual day nears, at which point he gives some lame excuse to back out.

It's all smoke and mirrors, people.

Cthulhu

Good lord, that's a lotta smilies

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by paulk
Has any body heard of Sifu Rick Mooney?

Have a look at the link below, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select the Rick Mooney Clip titled: -

Sifu Mooney moves subjects without touching them.

Have a look at this

What do you think?

Is this clip still there, i couldn't find it. I don't believe in this sort of thing but i would be interested in seeing the video.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is an article on Mr. Mooney in the Feb. 2002 issue of Martial Arts Illustrated, a British martial arts magazine that is on the satnds now. He discusses his use of Lin Kong Jing tostop opponents without touching them.

In the Apr. 2002 issue of Martial Arts (Combat Sports), also on the stands now, Mr. Dillman discusses his use of the no-touch knockout.

OP
B

brianbarton

Does anyone know where I can view this clip as the link in the forum doesn't appear to deliver it.

OP
S

spartacus

Ive seen him in action and it is pure psychological. He shouted at a young kid who came running at him with a knife - as he did he also waved his hand. Of course the little fella jumped. "there, you see", said RM "empty force"

OP
D

Drunken Master

Well, It doesn't really sound worth bothering about does it!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The current issue of KUNG FU QIGONG MAGAZINE
has an article that is a followup of sorts to the one on Mr. Mooney, according to an editor's note in the letters section. It features Leon Jay of SCJJ doing no-touch knockouts he learned from George Dillman. The technique failed on the reporter but he reports other successes.

OP
T

tonbo

Oh, boy......:rolleyes:

Yeah, same thing with guys like Uri Geller and a whole host of other "psychics".

I don't have concrete proof that anyone is a fraud, mind you, but there is this guy out there named James Randi. He is a magician as well as a debunker, and he has had a longstanding challenge: he will pay $10,000 to anyone who can perform a feat of psychic ability in controlled circumstances that he can't duplicate by trickery.

Far as I know, he still hasn't had to pay up.

Most of this stuff relies on one simple element: the belief (gullibility) of the viewer.

I have seen some *amazing* magic, even some from as little as two feet away. The guys are good at slight of hand and misdirection. Funny thing is, you don't even realize you've been misdirected most of the time.....you are too busy trying to catch them in their act.

Anyway, I think that a lot of this is pure crap. I'm sure there are some instances out there where chi is used to do amazing feats (the old "woman lifts car off of child" story), but I don't think that anyone with chi powers like these guys are claiming are going to be doing two shows a night in Vegas, if ya get my drift......

:rolleyes:

Peace--

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the old woman lifting the car off the child isn't chi. its adrenaline. when your body pumps itself full of adrenaline, its a powerful stimulant which lets us do things that we wouldn't ordinarily do. Think of a sparring match... do you really feel it when you get hit? nope. its because you have so much adrenaline that your body lets you do things (like take hits that would ordinarily hurt like hell) that normally would have you rolling on the ground. Then, when you go to take a shower and notice the large purple bruise on your kidney, you just shake your head and say "how'd the heck did I do that?"

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I personally don't care if the guy is a fake or not. I have no desire to move someone from 6 feet away. If I'm worked up enough to move someone, I'm definately worked up enough to lay ahold of them with my hands and move em where I want them. I don't need some invisible farce.. I mean force... to do my fightin' for me. Yeesh, some people wanna take all the fun out of the Martial Arts.

Latest Discussions