Cheney's Attire at Auschwitz

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
*warning - minor thread gank*

OK. I am curious.

When I go to a big important event - a wedding, a funeral, a bat mitzvah, a baptism, a graduation, etc etc (and to church on Sunday), I try to dress for the event. I don't have a fur coat or diamonds, but I put on nice-looking clothes, try to make myself look a bit nicer for the occasion.

Does that mean that if I can't dress up, I'm a *bad person*? I don't think so.

But since when was dressing appropriately and showing respect a silly thing? Are we all going the way of sweatpants to weddings now?
Feisty, I am afraid that unfortunately that is the way things are headed.

When I first read HHJH's intro to this thread, my reaction was, as I more or less stated, "Who cares what he was wearing as long as he was present?" I just don't know if it would make a particle of difference to *the Euros* (as someone referred to them) what Cheney was wearing so much as whether he was there as Bush's representative. I think Bush's absence just might be what would provoke any reaction. Just a thought ... KT

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say it was disrespectful if there was "intent". If people believe the VP had some sort of intent in his action I could see being irate...equating it to some sort of "spitting" on the event is silly though. If it was some sort or bad decision with no intent, the polite thing to do is make mention of it and hope the person dosent do it again.

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
Selling weapons to terrorists? You mean like the the mujahedeen in Afghanistan?

Oh, wait, that was the US.
I was hoping someone would catch that... I admit nobody is perfect, especialy me. However, I still believe that selling weapons to the Afgans to beat back the Russians was the moral thing to do. Pulling out early and abandoning them to the Russians was WRONG.

To stay on topic and play a little devils advocate, where did the tradition of dressing up come from? Are we to perpetutate class conflict by trying to out glam each other at the events only the aristocracy can afford to put on?

I wonder?:shrug:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gray Phoenix said:
<snip>
Are we to perpetutate class conflict by trying to out glam each other at the events only the aristocracy can afford to put on?

I wonder?:shrug:
Firstly, if it is an event *only the aristocracy can afford to put on*, most of us probably wouldn't be there.

Secondly, only the 'new money' are vulgar enough to parade their wealth. Old money look like they went into the rubbish heap to find something to wear because they don't care -- they have absolutely nothing to prove to anyone.

However, appropriate dress is expected on certain occasions because that's what the societal norm is, was, or has become. Most of you men hate getting dressed up (I think it's the tie thing that irks most of you) because: 1) you may have to be *dressed* to go to work every day
2) your job may not require you to be *dressed*, so putting on a suit and tie is an alien concept
3) you're uncomfortable in [possibly] a jacket and pants which are tailored to look like Omar's work :shrug: - or are too small because you haven't had to wear the suit in ages:miffer:

Most women don't mind getting *dressed* from time to time if they wear casual clothing every day. I am expected to come to work dressed appropriately, which means dressier because I deal with corporate and business people and that's how they dress.

Guess the short answer is: whatever the situation calls for.:idunno:

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Rich ... here is a logical question for you.

You are travelling to an official memorial honoring 1.6 million casualties of war. What do you think would be appropriate attire?
Don't we teach our children not to judge a book by its cover?

This smacks of the same type of journalism that use to surround a certain former VP that was seen as a 'lame duck' by the name of Quayle. Come on, once the press pidgeon holes you nothing you do will change that.

If we are going to go into the 'looks' and appropriate discussion we can look a little closer and lower to our own bellys as martial artists. I have seen many an MA argue that looking/being 'fit' as a role model has nothing to do with whether you're a good MArtist...why would a parka and hat be any different?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Don't we teach our children not to judge a book by its cover?

This smacks of the same type of journalism that use to surround a certain former VP that was seen as a 'lame duck' by the name of Quayle. Come on, once the press pidgeon holes you nothing you do will change that.

If we are going to go into the 'looks' and appropriate discussion we can look a little closer and lower to our own bellys as martial artists. I have seen many an MA argue that looking/being 'fit' as a role model has nothing to do with whether you're a good MArtist...why would a parka and hat be any different?
Cheney's dress did not indicate he is, yes or no, an unfit or incapable leader...it demonstrates a lack of care for his attire at a very somber and international memorial service.

As some have said, they think it's trivial to worry about this.

I tend to disagree. Is it the *most important thing in the world*? No, but it's ridiculous that, as someone mentioned above, Cheney's handlers couldn't get him into a fur-lined whatever Thinsulate something that looked a little more somber.

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
Cheney's dress did not indicate he is, yes or no, an unfit or incapable leader...it demonstrates a lack of care for his attire at a very somber and international memorial service.

As some have said, they think it's trivial to worry about this.

I tend to disagree. Is it the *most important thing in the world*? No, but it's ridiculous that, as someone mentioned above, Cheney's handlers couldn't get him into a fur-lined whatever Thinsulate something that looked a little more somber.
Hi All,

Most of the post's are forgetting...He was the most important person at this memorial from a USA standpoint...

Secret Service is the culpret. They wanted him to stand out, so they could protect him...:rolleyes:

CIA gave them some bad information and they responded.

Intellegence is the reason for this goof up:rolleyes: FBI could not be involved because the event was out of the country.

He was diverting attention from the election that was not going to go off well and needed more critisim to keep him in the eye of the public.:whip:

Feisty and Hardhead are working very hard to keep us informed...

Regards, Gary

R

rmcrobertson

So--vote now.

Is Dick Cheney, our VEEP,: a) an ignorant dumbass, or b) a beautiful example of recent American arrogance and belligerence abroad?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
So--vote now.

Is Dick Cheney, our VEEP,: a) an ignorant dumbass, or b) a beautiful example of recent American arrogance and belligerence abroad?
Is there an 'All of the Above' box?

Yeah, it's easy ... but, accurate ;)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
Cheney's dress did not indicate he is, yes or no, an unfit or incapable leader...it demonstrates a lack of care for his attire at a very somber and international memorial service. .
Yeah, I look at it like this:

I wear ripped jeans and a t shirt on a daily basis. A leather jacket covered with skulls, shave my hair into a mohawk and dye it red/blue/blonde whatever...

And I can still dress in nice clothing and a Tie for somthing as simple as my friends wedding.

If *I* can be bothered to dress appropriatly, HE should be able to.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can just hear Lynn Cheney that morning as they were getting ready to leave the hotel:

"You're wearing that?"

What woman can't relate?

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
I vote for self-absorbed rich ******* who is both ignorant and uncaring on how the world sees him, or us, knowing full well that he has the might of our military and economy to punish those who will not worship him.

Can I get the bonus point for also calling him arrogant and a poor ambasador for America?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im just kinda aggravated that on the day of remembering one of the most horrific periods of modern history, the VP's attire is one of the biggest stories of the day....should have been a sidebar "and what was up with Cheneys' coat?" issue. Instead of an administration hate fest....the uproar detracted from the event more than the coat itself.

What did the Arab leaders wear BTW?

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Im just kinda aggravated that on the day of remembering one of the most horrific periods of modern history, the VP's attire is one of the biggest stories of the day....should have been a sidebar "and what was up with Cheneys' coat?" issue. Instead of an administration hate fest....the uproar detracted from the event more than the coat itself.

What did the Arab leaders wear BTW?
It is ironic that a day that is meant as a memorial to focus on the damage of hate people are letting a coat and hat distract them from the significance, gravity and cause of the occasion.

I like the comments like "It isn't the biggest thing, but it was a bad call/in poor taste" at least there is some perspective there.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
I like the comments like "It isn't the biggest thing, but it was a bad call/in poor taste" at least there is some perspective there.

Ummm... a question:

who exactly on here has been saying otherwise???

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"The VP was a disgrace to our country."

Theres one....

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
"The VP was a disgrace to our country."

Theres one....
Maybe a different way of saying it...

I was embarrassed for him, and, by extension, how the USA was represented at the event.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some people in other discussions are implying that the VP intentionally dressed that way to "thumb his nose" at old europe...and it was some way of drawing attention to the US to detract from the event....

Latest Discussions