Cheney's Attire at Auschwitz

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was going to reply earlier today but ran out of time as I had training to do.
I haven't read all the posts on this subject but either way, gonna throw in my two bits and leave it at that.

Diplomacy and statemanship takes priority over personal comfort. Cheney is representing the United States, the ones who liberated the camps and cared for the prisoners. It was a horrifying day to the U.S. soldiers to walk into the camp and see their fellow human beings as living skeletons and the conditions they had to endure under lock and guard and waiting for thier turn for the ovens. All of this enacted by (again) their fellow human beings.
I am disappointed at Cheney's choice of attire for this solem occasion. It speaks loudly that he was indeed thinking of himself and his comfort than the reason that they were there. The europeans that were there obviously had their own ideas about the parka and it certianly put us in a bad light. Respect is a big part of diplomacy, showing it and enduring a (relatively) brief time of discomfort shows that our minds are elsewhere than upon ourselves.
It's a small wonder, when our diplomats act this way that the rest of the world is losing respect for us as a nation, in small ways.
Here is one example while it's not stated that it has anything to do with Cheney's attire it does show what some of the euros think about us.

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Its a silly bone to pick IMO.....

I'd have to disagree.

We have an important international event, a major state function. Dignitaries from all over Europe, if not the world, are in attendance. The ceremony is one the United States has honored for decades. This was the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

The Vice President of the most powerful nation on the planet is there to represent 275 million people.

He dresses like he's going to a Nebraska Huskers' game.

Now, Feisty will tell you, I am a vulgar man. I hate dressing up. If I get into a suit, someone is getting married or buried. My default setting is a sweatshirt and jeans. Denim is my second skin. But even a classless dolt such as myself can recognize that our leaders have to present a better image than that to the world community.

Cheney can afford to buy the warmest overcoat with the nicest lining available, the best gloves, a stylish fur hat and ermine earmuffs. He's able to purchase electrically heated socks if he'd wanted them.

The other dignitaries were dressed well...and they sucked it up for the occasion...and we're left wondering what Cheney's Chief of Staff was doing while this was going on. How does one let one's boss show up to such an event dressed thus?

Consider this: No member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff would have shown up to such a ceremony dressed as Cheney was, even if they had attended in civilian clothes. People holding such station are held to a higher standard, or are supposed to be.

Regards,

Steve

G

ghostdog2

I certainly hope VP Cheney knows that he let down the French and Russian diplomats and disappointed the Washington Post. God knows, substance means nothing and clothes make the man on these important fashion occasions.
Maybe we can get a male model to take Kate Moss to the next big event. Ralph Lauren, our new Secretary of State (Fashion) can select the outfits.
Oh, and I sure hope the "euros", as someone quaintly called them, spend half as much time worrying about what we think of them as some people here spend worrying about what they think of us. Frankly, I don't give a damn what they think of Cheney's wardrobe. I suspect about half of them wished they'd been smart enuf to wear something warm. The fact they could have those thoughts in a language other than German was one more reason to be glad he was there.
Face it, he's not a style guy, but he's a good one to have your back.

K

Kempogeek

Just a thought. What would Cheney wear to a ceremony for the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor or the D-Day invasion? After seeing the picture, I have to wonder. Best regards, Steve

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kempogeek said:
Just a thought. What would Cheney wear to a ceremony for the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor or the D-Day invasion? After seeing the picture, I have to wonder. Best regards, Steve
This ???

Attachments

• $Picture1.jpg
    $Picture1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 133
R

rmcrobertson

The nicest thing to say is that this is dumbass bad manners. The least nice thing to say is that it is beautifully reflective of American arrogance.

Sheesh, it's like he never had to dress nice for Thanksgiving at his Gramdma's house when he was a kid. Or maybe he never heard of really good thermal underwear, electric socks, a good pair of IsoToners and one of them big Russian fur hats?

Oh well. At least he ain't at Bitburg, speechifying about the poor victimized SS and lying about how he helped liberate a death-camp personally...it's more than Ronald Reagan could have said.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have become so relaxed in the United States that we easily wave off the importance of good manners. This man has people to think for him, dress him. I seriously have a hard time believe that there is not access to very, very warm dress clothing for our administration.

Perhaps we're not too concerned with manners such as what a person wears, but other countries are, and this, baby, is part of what the job is all about - international relations.

Even from a self-defense standpoint, surely some could recognize that good and proper manners just might save one's life?

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
:soapbox:
I don’t give a rip what anybody wears to whatever event. Manners? Manners means following through with what you believe to be the right thing to do. I'm sure the Nazi pukes that killed all those people were dressed in their finest Class A military uniforms and I'm sure Hitler was wearing a nice suit when he gave the order. The American grunt who first found the camps and opened the gates had been trudging through mud and snow for months. I'd bet he didn’t look his best either, but the people in camps were just glad to see an American there.

Remember the other representatives there were representing people America either protected or saved, then turned around and became our biggest critics while selling weapons to terrorists.
icon8.gif

K

Kempogeek

2 big thumbs up for the Cheney image Michaeledward. You hit the nail on the head. As for me, if I was to attend a ceremony for Pearl Habor, D-Day or any other services honoring the veterans, I would be in my Sunday best from top to bottom. It would be the least I could do to show respect and thanks for the people who answered the call and came back. And especially the ones who made the ultimate sacrafice. I salute and bow to you all. Best regards, Steve

M

Melissa426

hardheadjarhead said:
Our leaders have to present a better image than that to the world community.

People holding such station are held to a higher standard, or are supposed to be.
I guess I just don't care about the opinions of people who judge us by what clothes we wear to a memorial service.

Am I ashamed, as a US citizen, that the VP showed up at this ceremoney in a parka? Not in the least. If you are, I suggest there are about a zillion more important things you ought to be worrying about.

If the leader of Russia or France came to the US in mid-January for a wreath laying ceremoney at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and he was wearing a "snow-blowing" parka, would I be offended? Not at all.

Peace,
Melissa

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Melissa, I am positive that HHJH began this thread as a discussion, nothing more. He's probably one of the last people who'd be concerned with superficialities like that. KT

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
I'd have to disagree.

We have an important international event, a major state function. Dignitaries from all over Europe, if not the world, are in attendance. The ceremony is one the United States has honored for decades. This was the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

The Vice President of the most powerful nation on the planet is there to represent 275 million people.

Now, Feisty will tell you, I am a vulgar man. I hate dressing up. If I get into a suit, someone is getting married or buried. My default setting is a sweatshirt and jeans. Denim is my second skin. But even a classless dolt such as myself can recognize that our leaders have to present a better image than that to the world community.

Cheney can afford to buy the warmest overcoat with the nicest lining available, the best gloves, a stylish fur hat and ermine earmuffs. He's able to purchase electrically heated socks if he'd wanted them.

The other dignitaries were dressed well...and they sucked it up for the occasion...and we're left wondering what Cheney's Chief of Staff was doing while this was going on. How does one let one's boss show up to such an event dressed thus?

Consider this: No member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff would have shown up to such a ceremony dressed as Cheney was, even if they had attended in civilian clothes. People holding such station are held to a higher standard, or are supposed to be.

Regards,

Steve
Vulgar? Hardly.

Comfortable? I hope so!

:)

M

Melissa426

kenpo tiger said:
Melissa, I am positive that HHJH began this thread as a discussion, nothing more. He's probably one of the last people who'd be concerned with superficialities like that. KT
I know. :asian:

I have nothing but respect for him, and just about everyone else on this forum. It's a good thing to have differences of opinions. Challenges us all to grow a little more.

Peace,
Melissa

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*warning - minor thread gank*

OK. I am curious.

When I go to a big important event - a wedding, a funeral, a bat mitzvah, a baptism, a graduation, etc etc (and to church on Sunday), I try to dress for the event. I don't have a fur coat or diamonds, but I put on nice-looking clothes, try to make myself look a bit nicer for the occasion.

Does that mean that if I can't dress up, I'm a *bad person*? I don't think so.

But since when was dressing appropriately and showing respect a silly thing? Are we all going the way of sweatpants to weddings now?

T

The Prof

MACaver said:
I was going to reply earlier today but ran out of time as I had training to do.
I haven't read all the posts on this subject but either way, gonna throw in my two bits and leave it at that.

Diplomacy and statemanship takes priority over personal comfort. Cheney is representing the United States, the ones who liberated the camps and cared for the prisoners. It was a horrifying day to the U.S. soldiers to walk into the camp and see their fellow human beings as living skeletons and the conditions they had to endure under lock and guard and waiting for thier turn for the ovens. All of this enacted by (again) their fellow human beings.
I am disappointed at Cheney's choice of attire for this solem occasion. It speaks loudly that he was indeed thinking of himself and his comfort than the reason that they were there. The europeans that were there obviously had their own ideas about the parka and it certianly put us in a bad light. Respect is a big part of diplomacy, showing it and enduring a (relatively) brief time of discomfort shows that our minds are elsewhere than upon ourselves.
It's a small wonder, when our diplomats act this way that the rest of the world is losing respect for us as a nation, in small ways.
Here is one example while it's not stated that it has anything to do with Cheney's attire it does show what some of the euros think about us.
Eloquently spoken, I agree!

Prof

T

The Prof

hardheadjarhead said:
I'd have to disagree.

Regards,

Steve
Great response. I too hate dressing up, I like raggedy jeans with rips and holes, I cut all my Tee shirts. It's so bad it aggrevates my wife. She says a 65 year old man should know better. Well I do know better. Funerals, weddings, dinners etc., I actually wear appropriate attire and I look good. (at least I think I do)

The VP was a disgrace to our country.

Prof

P

PeachMonkey

Gray Phoenix said:
Remember the other representatives there were representing people [/color]America either protected or saved, then turned around and became our biggest critics while selling weapons to terrorists.

Selling weapons to terrorists? You mean like the the mujahedeen in Afghanistan?

Oh, wait, that was the US.

Sorry for the thread gank.

Latest Discussions