Cheltenham martial arts centre for a novice?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to join a martial arts club as a total beginner. I am 42. I have been thinking of www.combineddefensivearts.com or www.martialartscheltenham.co.uk

I am not sure which style I would like to learn.

Has anyone any experience please and thoughts of either/both club?

Thanks
go and try them, its really the only way, the first looks a bit more " modern, the second a bit more traditional.

you can tell nothing from a web site, apart from how good the,web site developer was,
pick one and go and see what you think

OP
G

greatwhite

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Jobo. I have actually paid for 3 sessions trying Krav Maga instead. I liked the look of the style and what they offer. The only disadvantage is it is in a hall at certain times of the week and not at a centre which is open all day long to use.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Jobo. I have actually paid for 3 sessions trying Krav Maga instead. I liked the look of the style and what they offer. The only disadvantage is it is in a hall at certain times of the week and not at a centre which is open all day long to use.
It's very rare to find a martial art gym that's open all day. Most places are exactly that classes at certain times of the day. Maybe a few professional boxing and Mma gyms would do this but most won't at all.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The mma street defence looks rubbish.

Yep fat guy on a diet rubbish.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Going to throw an idea out there because I have been playing around with it with some new guys who have joined out BJJ class.

A good martial art should be a bit awful and you should be terrible.

So one of these guys after his first roll got submitted twenty times by everyone. Wore knees elbows and forearms and was exhausted.

And he was like "mate this isn't for me"

And I had to explain to him that. That is what being new at martial arts is. It is a bunch of suck until such time as it doesn't suck. Because that is how you progress at something that is hard.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first school seems to teach a home-brewed eclectic system inspired by JKD. It’s not clear what the instructor’s qualifications are. (Champion in “semi-contact kickboxing”? That seems a bit of an oxymoron.) The videos don’t look great, but it might be worth checking out if there’s nothing better around.

The website for the second school tells exactly nothing. It doesn’t even say what martial art they teach! It refers to “martial arts” as if it was one thing. That would be a huge red flag for me, but I suppose you could call them up and try to get more info.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Both seem very commercial and the video of the one school had a lot of questionable techniques.

Are there any other options near you?