Cheerleading case stirs up dispute

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
i read a comment from someone and I thought it was good. He/she said: "When I played Football, we had a kid try out who had downs sydrome. Due to possible injury concerns, he didn't get to play. But he was named Team Maanager and given a jersey. He traveled with the team and kept our spirirts up. He had lots of jobs, retrieving the tee after kick off, keeping football ready, helping at practice and he was probally the most important person on our team. There are ways to always include all kids."

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i read a comment from someone and I thought it was good. He/she said: "When I played Football, we had a kid try out who had downs sydrome. Due to possible injury concerns, he didn't get to play. But he was named Team Maanager and given a jersey. He traveled with the team and kept our spirirts up. He had lots of jobs, retrieving the tee after kick off, keeping football ready, helping at practice and he was probally the most important person on our team. There are ways to always include all kids."

I like that a lot. :asian:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if it was mentioned in the article or not, and I haven't seen it mentioned. But, how many girls total tried out for the team and how many besides this girl didn't make it? I would argue that it would be unfair to all the other kids that tried out and didn't make it because they weren't athletic enough to let someone on the squad that couldn't perform the required tasks either.

Why is it that somehow we have to think that fair means equal? She was judged by the same criteria as everyone else that tried out. When I entered into law enforcement, you had to have an eye test. If you were color deficient, you were excluded, if you didn't have vision or hearing that could be corrected to a certain level, guess what? You were excluded. It didn't mean you weren't a good person, or a smart person or a very talented person, it just meant you didn't meet the requirements set out for the job.

That being said, as a parent, I can understand wanting my child to be able to experience things that they truly want to do. Did they try talking with the school/coaches and see if she could be a mascot for the team or some other position to be able to participate?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Sounds like the school team my brother-in-law was on. We got a signed football from their championship season, even the team manager signed, a kid that wasn't able to play ball, but made the team anyhow.

Latest Discussions