Characteristics of Tracy's Kenpo

oldnovice

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As someone who isn't very knowledgable about Tracy's Kenpo, EPAK, or other variations, I'd appreciate any feedback regarding how Tracy's Kenpo could be described, in terms of the general characteristics of the art.

The forms for Tracy's Kenpo I've seen on Youtube, seem to have more of a kung fu flavor, than clips of other kenpo systems I've seen. Tracy's seems to be a curriculum-rich style, and I'm starting training under Mr. Scott Pedersen, in Arvada, CO. I had an introductory lesson last week, that covered some basic blocking, and the Knee of Vengeance.

Thanks in advance, for your thoughts on this.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As someone who isn't very knowledgable about Tracy's Kenpo, EPAK, or other variations, I'd appreciate any feedback regarding how Tracy's Kenpo could be described, in terms of the general characteristics of the art.

The forms for Tracy's Kenpo I've seen on Youtube, seem to have more of a kung fu flavor, than clips of other kenpo systems I've seen. Tracy's seems to be a curriculum-rich style, and I'm starting training under Mr. Scott Pedersen, in Arvada, CO. I had an introductory lesson last week, that covered some basic blocking, and the Knee of Vengeance.

Thanks in advance, for your thoughts on this.

Tracy's is a curriculum rich style. The style is built on a curriculum that uses repetition of techniques that allow a practitioner to work with the principles of kenpo from a variety of attacks. There are about 600 techniques in the curriculum if you count them out, but alot of them are very similar, and alot of them are building blocks to later techniques.

The theory is that by exposing a student to similar defensive solutions to different attacks, then the student will begin to grasp the principles behind the techniques. The bonus is that even if the student never gets it, he will still have good self defense techniques.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tracy's is a curriculum rich style. The style is built on a curriculum that uses repetition of techniques that allow a practitioner to work with the principles of kenpo from a variety of attacks. There are about 600 techniques in the curriculum if you count them out, but alot of them are very similar, and alot of them are building blocks to later techniques.

The theory is that by exposing a student to similar defensive solutions to different attacks, then the student will begin to grasp the principles behind the techniques. The bonus is that even if the student never gets it, he will still have good self defense techniques.

Well put.

OP
oldnovice

oldnovice

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Thanks very much, KenpoDave. That gives me a pretty good picture of the Tracy's methodology.

You have a great website, BTW. I'll be using it as a reference source quite a bit.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I think you'll do well to stay with Mr. Pedersen (is Mr. Mow still there?).

Tracy's & EPAK have a shared history. I believe with consistent practice and persistence either can produce a good martial artist.

Tell Mr. Pedersen & Mr. Mow that Ray Albrechtsen says "Hi"

OP
oldnovice

oldnovice

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think you'll do well to stay with Mr. Pedersen (is Mr. Mow still there?).

Tracy's & EPAK have a shared history. I believe with consistent practice and persistence either can produce a good martial artist.

Tell Mr. Pedersen & Mr. Mow that Ray Albrechtsen says "Hi"

Ray,

Due to an unusual work schedule, I haven't attended any group classes yet, but I will be shortly, and will tell Mr. Pedersen and Mr. Mow, (if he is still there) that you said Hi.

Thanks for your feedback, also. Tracy's looks like a fine system to me, and I'm looking forward to digging into it.

OP
oldnovice

oldnovice

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ray, Mr. Mow is still teaching at Mr. Pedersen's school. Mr. Mow taught the Kenpo class I attended this morning. He's an excellent teacher, and obviously very proficient in Kenpo.

Mr. Pedersen and Mr. Mow both say Hi!

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tracy's Kenpo is the main one I've had, I cant speak for American Kenpo. But one charteristic is that the bow stance is everywhere in this style. Maybe thats true of all Kenpo/Kempo but I dont know.

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score

Hiya KenpoDave,

Just curious - what's the technique list from white to orange in your school? Do the beginning techniques focus on more linear and straight movements such as those found in traditional karate like shotokan or are they more kung-fu oriented?

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya KenpoDave,

Just curious - what's the technique list from white to orange in your school? Do the beginning techniques focus on more linear and straight movements such as those found in traditional karate like shotokan or are they more kung-fu oriented?

You are exposed to both methodologies right off the bat. The 1st technique in the system, Japanese Sword, teaches a primarily linear solution to a right or a left punch. Technique #2, Chinese Sword, teaches a more circular approach to a right or left punch.

Kenpo is both, and I would say that it is difficult to consider the beginning techniques as one or the other, since they are kenpo. And, with some slight modification, they can be switched around. And, keep in mind that the beginning techniques are the beginning techniques because that is where they are taught. We had a black belt class tonight where we worked stick and knife drills off of Chinese and Japanese Sword. They didn't look much like beginner techniques, but the principles and concepts stayed pretty much the same.

Latest Discussions