Changing school structure

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Joined
Apr 9, 2004
Messages
41,259
Reaction score
338
Location
Grand Prairie Texas
I'm thinking about adding a Arobic or kickboxing class in the AM for one of my instructors to make some money. I myself only teach Traditional and Olympic TKD so it will not effect, but teh other persons believe it will help the school and bring them in some extra cash. What do you folks think about this subject?
Terry
 

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
1,325
Reaction score
14
Location
Arizona
I think it is a great idea. There are many people who may end up taking the class. They may want the work out and hate the idea of going to a "gym" and it not being serious enough. At your dojo they would feel secure in knowing that the aerobic work out would be great and the kickboxing class would be from actual practitioners. The more you can offer the more marketable you make your school. Having a seperate instructor teach it also gives it some legitimacy in some people's eyes instead of one person doing it all.
 

mantis

Master Black Belt
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
1,488
Reaction score
5
Location
SoCal
terryl965 said:
I'm thinking about adding a Arobic or kickboxing class in the AM for one of my instructors to make some money. I myself only teach Traditional and Olympic TKD so it will not effect, but teh other persons believe it will help the school and bring them in some extra cash. What do you folks think about this subject?
Terry
is your motivation the legacy in your art, or is it cash, or is it just to teach TKD, or is it to help people exercise?
you opened the school and you know why it was opened in the first place, right?
I do not see anything wrong with teaching kickboxing or aerobics, but I do not agree with prioritizing cash flow highly in martial arts. that's just my opinion. I know of people who give private lessons too for extra cash. Just an additional thought.
 
OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Joined
Apr 9, 2004
Messages
41,259
Reaction score
338
Location
Grand Prairie Texas
mantis said:
is your motivation the legacy in your art, or is it cash, or is it just to teach TKD, or is it to help people exercise?
you opened the school and you know why it was opened in the first place, right?
I do not see anything wrong with teaching kickboxing or aerobics, but I do not agree with prioritizing cash flow highly in martial arts. that's just my opinion. I know of people who give private lessons too for extra cash. Just an additional thought.

Mantis my school is differently not about cash. I put out about 3000.00 a month to keep it the way I want it. My other instructor is a college kid that would love to spend more time here then at a real job for now and the money would help him and not me.

I must say most people know about me and my school and why it was built in the first place. I'm shocked that you where not aware!
At any rate I would love to hear from folks thta have this in place.
Terry
 

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
618
Reaction score
14
Location
Sweet Home, Chicago
terryl965 said:
I'm thinking about adding a Arobic or kickboxing class in the AM for one of my instructors to make some money. I myself only teach Traditional and Olympic TKD so it will not effect, but teh other persons believe it will help the school and bring them in some extra cash. What do you folks think about this subject?
Terry


Terry,

I'm sure a lot depends on the demographics of your area, but our school has had better luck augmenting the regular curriculum with Tai Chi and Yoga than
with kickboxing or anything like that.
 

mrhnau

Senior Master
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
2,269
Reaction score
34
Location
NC
Martial Tucker said:
Terry,

I'm sure a lot depends on the demographics of your area, but our school has had better luck augmenting the regular curriculum with Tai Chi and Yoga than
with kickboxing or anything like that.

Would it be more difficult to find a decent Tai Chi or Yoga teacher though? Conceivably that might be an issue...
 

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Joined
Aug 1, 2004
Messages
8,627
Reaction score
450
Location
Winnipeg MB
mantis said:
but I do not agree with prioritizing cash flow highly in martial arts. that's just my opinion.

And it's not one that would keep the doors open. Martial arts schools ARE businesses, they need to pay rent, utilities, pay for supplies, pay the instructor.

And like any other small business, need to do whatever they can to keep their doors open, otherwise there is no martial arts...
 

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
618
Reaction score
14
Location
Sweet Home, Chicago
mrhnau said:
Would it be more difficult to find a decent Tai Chi or Yoga teacher though? Conceivably that might be an issue...


Again, I think it depends on the area. I'm in Chicago, so it's not hard.
Tai Chi and/or Yoga just seems to appeal to a broader audience that may
not want a more "martial-like" experience like kickboxing, or whatever.
 

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
1,325
Reaction score
14
Location
Arizona
Hey soem people may only be interested in those 2 things and not TKD itself. What is wrong with having that option available? Never know, they might tell a friend who may also join for that reason and low and behold they have a kid who wants to learn TKD.
Not bad.
 

matt.m

Senior Master
Joined
May 16, 2006
Messages
2,521
Reaction score
121
Location
St. Louis
The school I train at holds classes tkd mon-thurs 7-830, and hapkido thurs 830-930. I was talking with the grandmaster, the building rent alone is 500.00. I know the utilities cost at least 150 a month if not more.

It has been widely taught, believed, and practiced that the instructors don't make a cent of instruction. That is why we are able to stay more like a club. When it is lean it is tough. All the teachers have outside jobs.

Too boost membership at my dads school in southern missouri they began offering a pre hapkido class 2x a week, also they have a class for people with disabilities. the pre hapkido class is for little kids. Like a jr. dragon kind of thing.
 

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2003
Messages
30,187
Reaction score
429
Location
Cromwell,CT
terryl965 said:
I'm thinking about adding a Arobic or kickboxing class in the AM for one of my instructors to make some money. I myself only teach Traditional and Olympic TKD so it will not effect, but teh other persons believe it will help the school and bring them in some extra cash. What do you folks think about this subject?
Terry

I think it would be a good idea Terry. One suggestion that I would make, would be to make sure that the peson teaching, give the class proper instruction on how to properly and safely execute the punches, kicks, etc. on the bags. I've seen a few of these classes, and the students are just wacking away at the bags with no form. That IMHO, is an accident waiting to happen.

Mike
 

mantis

Master Black Belt
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
1,488
Reaction score
5
Location
SoCal
terryl965 said:
Mantis my school is differently not about cash. I put out about 3000.00 a month to keep it the way I want it. My other instructor is a college kid that would love to spend more time here then at a real job for now and the money would help him and not me.

I must say most people know about me and my school and why it was built in the first place. I'm shocked that you where not aware!
At any rate I would love to hear from folks thta have this in place.
Terry
oh nono. im aware of that. I apologize if I sounded like i was suggesting otherwise.
I am not saying your school is all about cash. and i am not saying martial arts school should not make profits either.
You have asked a question whether you should open classes teaching other than what you teach. I say if it feels good and serves your initial goal then go for it.
You may have great intension, but with wong marketing you might ruin the reputation that you already have. Just be careful is all I am saying.

Again I am not bashing your school, but suggesting an opinion that you may or may not have considered.
 

beau_safken

Black Belt
Joined
Jan 19, 2006
Messages
572
Reaction score
10
Location
San Francisco, CA
Do it. It will not only bring in new students but also if you have the chance to hold your classes before, the cardio kickboxing students might join. It would be a great way to cross market your school and help to broaden your student base. If the instructors are helping with the costs of the space and you make a little slice of the profits...why not? I'm assuming the last line based off my previous experience, no idea if that is how it would work for you.

Anything to get more students in the door and help reduce that 3000 a month outflow sounds like a great idea to me.
 

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
498
Reaction score
7
Location
Canada
My BJJ club also offers cardio kickboxing classes...works out great for everyone. Instructor makes some extra cash (it is during hours where the regular MA classes aren't offered)and the students are getting healthy and fit so I can't see where there is a bad angle to this. Win/win if you ask me.
 
Top