Chain Punch

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Push/pull force. Interesting, I would have leaned towards a lot more push. So the two start to work in tandem?
I've found it in my experience to be a way to further enhance your impact potential. As mentioned before, I learned it as a training tool so once you understand it, you may find ways to express it in other techs. It's present in all the hand forms, more present in Chum Kiu and crucial to a good Biu Jee and BJD in how I was taught.
But don't take my word for it, give it a go yourself. As long as you're receptive to it, I'm sure you'll stumble upon the general mechanics if it's not already present in what you do.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Push/pull force. Interesting, I would have leaned towards a lot more push. So the two start to work in tandem?

Transk53 - a thorough study of yin yang principles and philosophy, as they relate to wing chun, would be worthy of your time. It certainly helped my understanding of the art. Anyway, wanted to leave you with this little gem I read once:

"All hand techniques are based only on the well-established principles of "opposite power" and short bridge or long bridge power. ~SiFu Duncan Leung, private disciple of Yip Man.

thx

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transk53 - a thorough study of yin yang principles and philosophy, as they relate to wing chun, would be worthy of your time. It certainly helped my understanding of the art. Anyway, wanted to leave you with this little gem I read once:

"All hand techniques are based only on the well-established principles of "opposite power" and short bridge or long bridge power. ~SiFu Duncan Leung, private disciple of Yip Man.

thx

Not sure that I fully comprend, but food for thought on the latter. Thanks, I do like history so would be no different in that sense.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not sure that I fully comprend, but food for thought on the latter. Thanks, I do like history so would be no different in that sense.

Nothing to do with history...everything to do with having an understanding of opposite power, which is seeded in SLT form, and expressed in things like "chain punching/striking" etc...also found in SLT.
Yin and Yang, push and pull, in and out, up and down, light and dark, male and female, receive and issue, etc.

No worries. If you don't comprehend now, perhaps you will in the future. Good luck in your training!

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with history...everything to do with having an understanding of opposite power, which is seeded in SLT form, and expressed in things like "chain punching/striking" etc...also found in SLT.
Yin and Yang, push and pull, in and out, up and down, light and dark, male and female, receive and issue, etc.

No worries. If you don't comprehend now, perhaps you will in the future. Good luck in your training!

As you expanded on it, yes I get that. Of course though, at this point I am not meant to. I don't tend to lean towards a chain punch, so the journey is going to be fun :)

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Think of it not as chain punch, but as chain principle. "Chain" being the word noting that the two arms/fists are linked. Pulling one side back simultaneously pushes the opposite side forward automatically. So rather than simply punching with the intended side for example, simultaneously pull the opposite side back as you push your punch forward. Syncing these together is one example of push/pull force (an expression of Yin/Yang as Kwan Sau mentioned) which in turn begins moving you toward putting your whole body into your techs. Best of luck Transk.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think of it not as chain punch, but as chain principle. "Chain" being the word noting that the two arms/fists are linked. Pulling one side back simultaneously pushes the opposite side forward automatically. So rather than simply punching with the intended side for example, simultaneously pull the opposite side back as you push your punch forward. Syncing these together is one example of push/pull force (an expression of Yin/Yang as Kwan Sau mentioned) which in turn begins moving you toward putting your whole body into your techs. Best of luck Transk.

Thanks. One week to go :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Something like this:

wc_1.jpg

wc_2.jpg

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Isn't chain punching/striking just a misconception -- by which, I mean, making a "technique" out of something that isn't a technique to begin with?

For as long as the centerline is open, we strike. This is the principle of lat sao jik chung. If, after striking the first time, the center remains open, you should continue striking. That's not a technique. That's just common sense. But to see someone launching a continuous barrage of strikes into an opponent that remains open, and then abstract that as some kind of "chain ___" technique is to miss the point in the first place. You can't suppose that you can chain any number of techniques; all you can do is attack and follow the flow while utilizing the core principles of the system; which is to control the centerline, and attack instinctively when it is open. If that happens to be a chain of punches or strikes, then "chain punching" was the result, but not the source.

Well put. Our sifu emphasizes fan sau- always following up one attack with another. Or maybe better put as creating the opening for a follow up, like setting yourself up for the next shot on the pool table. The second punch (and third, etc) in the chain would then just be the fan sau to the first punch. The line has to be open in order to throw that follow up punch, though; otherwise, you'll have to do something else. But if the line is wide open, why wouldn't you follow up your first punch with another... and another, and another?

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When you pull your punch back, should you try to grab something back with your hand at the same time?
It is a possible option that is usually dictated by the situation. Grabbing, cutting, jamming, and pressing are just a few of the many ways you can coordinate the opposite side in tandem with the striking hand. There are numerous places to find the push/pull force in our system. :)

ALEX WHITE

White Belt
Reaction score
Simply put, where did the chain punch come from. Always seemed to be a add on. To me, it just didn't fit philosophy wise. Curious as what form or technique it derives from?

It fit's in and make sense due to that women in the 1700's weren't that large or powerful, they were 5'2 where men were 5'4, so not one punch was going to take down opponents, hence the wild chain punching that we do.

Latest Discussions