Cell Phone Rant

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to reluctantly admit that I agree with Andy's point above i.e. that a mobile phone is a useful emergency tool. I carry one as my missus feels better knowing that if I break my leg, or whatever, whilst out walking I can get help.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, thanks everybody.I thought I was alone.I posted this rant on Facebook and one of my old cop buddies told me to "Check e-Bay under Stone Age"..Others tell me to embrace this new technology, NFW...I want to make calls and want to recieve calls.THAT'S IT..Now I do download ringtones from PhoneZoo because they are FREE and the free ones provided by the carrier are strange..

Last edited:

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blackberry actually makes a special model for the FBI and other feds who can't carry picture phones into their workspaces.

It only costs 'em something like 1/3 over the basic cost...

So it costs extra to get one with less features? That`s so wrong.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So it costs extra to get one with less features? That`s so wrong.
Sadly, it makes sense. To make 'em with less on it, they have to change a manufacturing line. Since "most" people want cameras, that's how the lines are set up. Eliminate the camera, and they have to change several manufacturing lines (the ones for the guts of the phone, for the back of the phone, and the overall assembly at a bare minimum)... which costs money. Same thing happens with car lines, and lots of other stuff.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I have a Verizon V-Cast, and have had it for several years now. I use it to talk, text, and occasionally take a video of the dachsund/chihuahua my girlfriend has when she is zooming around the living room. The dog, not my girlfriend. Thats it, that is all I use my phone for. Internet? I have a computer at home, I can wait til I get home, I don't need to know that very instant something pops into my head! Applications? Bells and whistles I don't need! I also found, when I moved out of my parent's house, that it was cheaper and more convenient to have a cell than a landline in an apartment. I also moved from NY to CO, so again, convenient. Kept the same number. Plus its good to have a work in case the work cell phone screws up, as I occasionally get calls for alarms.

-Necessary evil for me. My phone isn't anything fancy by todays' standards. And thats just fine with me. People can always reach me. I don't always have to answer;-)

Andrew

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The AT& T Wireless site is pretty good and offers more than their own outlet stores have..

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
While I'm not a fan of kids texting each other constantly, texting as a means of communicating is extremely convenient. I routinely text my wife and kids to send short messages or ask questions. It's also very handy if I need a shopping list. If I'm on my way home, I will often have my daughter text me a grocery list. Texting is also great for reminders. If there's something I want to remember, I'll text myself (or have someone else text me) a short note.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score