Kids and Cell Phones

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, my son is 11 years old and I just got him one for Christmas.

Why? Because we don't have land line phones anymore, my wife and I have cell phones as home phones and since he always wanted a phone in his bedroom, I decided to get him this one. It is on my account and shares my minutes. It was cheap (free) and doesn't cost me much more a month. This way he can call his cousins, friends, and us if he is off with friends. We have SprintPCS and most everyone he would ever call is also and this means he has unlimited calling anytime of day.

I don't see a problem with it. People thought the same thing about pagers when I was a late teen. We live in a relatively hi-technology world today and there will be a point in time that wired telephones will be gone and most things will be wireless. There is no real reason that children that are at a responsible age cannot or should not have one, other than financial reason and so forth.

It really isn't a big deal.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
As for an 11 year old, they get taken away at school for playing games or music, or text messages.
That would be grounds for losing the phone.

Rich Parsons said:
Or even stolen to pay for some other kids addiction to technology.
That is why they have equipment protection plans... Report it stolen and get another phone. The old phone is flagged in the system as stolen and can never be used again without some serious hacking.

Easy enough to deal with.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see BigShadow's point, if they only use cell phones and don't have a land line it makes sense. So does giving your child a phone when they become active in sports, etc. and practice times could change and busy schedules.

My 11-year-old just isn't that busy yet. My 15-year-old is and it sounds like she will be getting busier in the near future.

It definitely is a status symbol with the kids and personally I think that is silly. However, thinking back to my childhood days we had status symbols too, they just weren't communication devices with monthly fees and enormous air times costs attached to them.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We feel better having the landline for 911. I know the cell phones are supposed to be locateable, but I just feel better than a landline iwll be traced if someone calls 911 and gets cut off too soon.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
We feel better having the landline for 911. I know the cell phones are supposed to be locateable, but I just feel better than a landline iwll be traced if someone calls 911 and gets cut off too soon.

We keep the landline for that reason as well. I think dual coverage is a good thing.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahh....a subject so close to my heart. I have been in wireless sales for the U.S.'s largest cell phone provider for a little over 10 yrs now (no, this is not a plug for my employer). Children and Cell Phones.....I can't stand it. The youngest child I personally have sold a phone for was 5 yrs old! FIVE! I desperately tried to talk the parent out of it, but it was futile.

For the better part of my experience in the wireless industry, the general age of acquisition was usually around 16 to coincide with obtaining a driver's license. Now it seems to be between 10-12. People can blame it on whatever they wish: single parenthood, two income families needing communication, ease of contact, security, peace of mind, etc. I think it's just due to the simple fact that children are spoiled now. Nobody wants to be the "bad guy" in their childs' eyes.

Personally, I have two 8 yr old daughters. Of course, they badger Daddy for cell phones of their own since I work there. The answer is always NO, and will be until they buy their own.

Respects,

Frank

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you have to judge the issue just like anything else: is the child responsible enough for this? If you have a daughter that you know will be sitting in her room chatting with her friends on the cell and burning up minutes, then no. But, they are a great tool for active kids as well. No need to worry about your child not having change to call for a ride home from soccer practice, for example.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
I think it's just due to the simple fact that children are spoiled now. Nobody wants to be the "bad guy" in their childs' eyes.
Is it truely being spoiled? I don't think so.

Just because kids have more and different things now than we did as children does not make them spoiled. It is all relative. I would have been considered spoiled compared to pre-historic children or even children of the 40s and 50s. I think If parents have the means to do things for their children, then it is certainly OK to do so. Call it spoiled if you like. It is funny how those who do these things for their children seem to be obligated to explain why and those that don't are somehow in a position of superiority, but I would respectfully ask all of you who say "NO" to give good reasons not to do so. Just because I didn't have it when I was a kid doesn't mean that my child shouldn't have it (with regards to things that are safe and legal). It should be quite the opposite. I always want my child to have better than what I had as a child. I think that those who wouldn't want better for their children than what they had as children are self-centered and may have a bit of masochistic tendencies ;).

I think outside of financial reasons, most will be hard pressed to come up with any significant reason(s) as to why not, that could not also be applied to TV, Email, Computer games, Playstations, Game cubes, X-boxes, bicycles, skate boards, etc. I don't think the cell phones are going to corrupt their mind and cause them harm.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Call it spoiled if you like. It is funny how those who do these things for their children seem to be obligated to explain why and those that don't are somehow in a position of superiority...
I never implied any superiority, and frankly, resent the suggestion.

Bigshadow said:
...but I would respectfully ask all of you who say "NO" to give good reasons not to do so.
It's been my experience that most of these "extras" are just given to the child, not earned, and the child never learns any responsibility or the value of what they've been given.

Bigshadow said:
Just because I didn't have it when I was a kid doesn't mean that my child shouldn't have it (with regards to things that are safe and legal). It should be quite the opposite. I always want my child to have better than what I had as a child. I think that those who wouldn't want better for their children than what they had as children are self-centered and may have a bit of masochistic tendencies ;).
I couldn't agree more that children should have it better than their parents. This does not necessarily mean have more stuff than their parents. I do not mean to imply that Bigshadow equates "things" with better quality of life. I do not know him and would not make such an assumption. However, it is not an uncommon occurrence. Too many parents want to be their childs' friend instead of their mother/father, and thus lavish things on them.

Oh yeah, regarding the "masochistic tendencies" remark....completely unnecessary, even with the winking icon.

With the utmost respect as always,

Frank

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it is a simple thing. When they can pay for it themselves and have a job to do that, they can get themselves a cell phone, until then, they can use mine when they need it. We don't seem to have a problem with pick up times, etc. Usually we are able to preplan pick up times, etc.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is an extremely important value in teaching a child the difference between entitlement and the work ethic. Waiting for what a person wants creates a benchmark for values and self-realization.

The safety factor was the major reason for my getting my kids cel phones and they know when the phones are abused in any way they are revoked.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
The safety factor was the major reason for my getting my kids cel phones and they know when the phones are abused in any way they are revoked.

Safety is a main concern if ours too, especially with our daughter because she is travelling to games etc. If we can't attend her game, she calls home from the bus and lets us know when to pick her up. One time they didn't get back til midnight. If she didn't have a phone to touch base and let us know what was going on I would have been calling the police to find out what happened to them. It's just a good thing to have if it's not abused, and if you can afford the minutes for kids to chat with their friends, I suppose that's fine too. Land line or cell phone, whichever you want to pay for.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
.... I would respectfully ask all of you who say "NO" to give good reasons...

I believe it is an observation by Steven "The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People" Covey, that I draw upon. He breaks down activities in life as: Important - Not Important - Urgent - Not Urgent. Here are some examples.
  • Important : Completing the Quarterly Activity Report in a timely manner for your boss.
  • Urgent : The building being on fire. It would be Urgent to get out of the building Right Now!
  • Not Important : Grooming your Dog.
  • Not Urgent : Checking your email and surfing Martial talk.
Activities and events can often exist in two of these four statuses at once. Something can be Important and Not Urgent at the same time.

A telephone is almost always Urgent, but it is most often Not Important.

How many times have you walked into a place of business, desiring to perform an act of commerce, to have a ringing telephone interrupt you activities, the service representive will ask you to "hold on" and then go answer the phone?

At times like that, I think of the adage, a 'Bird in Hand is worth Two in the Bush'. I am a paying customer, standing in front of them, waiting to give them money, and they ask me to hold on to answer a phone call that may or may result in the possibility of commerce; hell it may be someone asking for directions.

Of course, there are some phone calls that are important, but are they Urgent, as well? (If it was Publishers Clearing House, they will call back, honest :) ).

So, one reason I won't let my rather mature 15 year old have a cell phone is to 'help' her learn to prioritize things, not just the telephone, but all the stuff that interrupts us on a daily basis.

A ringing telephone is always Urgent, until you begin to hear it as something that is specifically not urgent.

OK ... hope that makes sense.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK ... so, I am about to switch my cell carrier. My current phone (Sprint PCS) will not work on the new carrier's network. So, I have to find a new phone. ....

I see this on the Verizon site.

Migo from Verizon Wireless is a kid-friendly wireless phone that lets parents and kids stay in touch. It's fun for them, and added peace of mind for you. The Migo phone has a simplified keypad that allows you to program in 4 numbers, an incredible speakerphone and a dedicated emergency key. This is the perfect phone to keep kids and parents connected.

This is a neat idea. A kid cell phone that can only (apparently) dial one of four pre-programmed numbers. There is no keypad, disallowing kids to dial numbers on their own.

Attachments

• $lg_vx1000.jpg
    $lg_vx1000.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 88

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Henderson said:
I never implied any superiority, and frankly, resent the suggestion.
I should have prefaced my response that it wasn't necessarily directed at you and was really a very general response, based on my perception of what seems the currently accepted stance on the subject.

Henderson said:
It's been my experience that most of these "extras" are just given to the child, not earned, and the child never learns any responsibility or the value of what they've been given.
Not in my house. There is responsibility associated with these items. These things have value and IF the child is not responsible with them, then the items are removed.

Henderson said:
Too many parents want to be their childs' friend instead of their mother/father, and thus lavish things on them.

I certainly agree with that.

Henderson said:
Oh yeah, regarding the "masochistic tendencies" remark....completely unnecessary, even with the winking icon.
That statement was really tongue in cheek and not directed at anyone specifically. It may have been unncessary.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
There is an extremely important value in teaching a child the difference between entitlement and the work ethic. Waiting for what a person wants creates a benchmark for values and self-realization.
Yes very true! It is very important to not condition the children to instant gratification. That can be a big problem. They do have to realize value of working for something and the deep personal gratification when they achieve it.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I believe it is an observation by Steven "The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People" Covey, that I draw upon. He breaks down activities in life as: Important - Not Important - Urgent - Not Urgent. Here are some examples.
  • Important : Completing the Quarterly Activity Report in a timely manner for your boss.
  • Urgent : The building being on fire. It would be Urgent to get out of the building Right Now!
  • Not Important : Grooming your Dog.
  • Not Urgent : Checking your email and surfing Martial talk.
OK ... hope that makes sense.
Oh that certainly makes sense. However, often I have seen things such as this and often many of them are driven by 1 thing "MONEY". I would like to see where Steven puts the value of family in the Seven Habits of Highly successful people. I know some very successful people and I have worked along side very successful people both as partners and as an employee. I can say based on my experience that these people place family at a much lower level of importance than their paycheck. I was like that at one time working countless hours for various business ventures and chasing that rabbit. I came to the realization that the time I lost with my family was NOT worth the money I made. Money can be had anytime, time can only be had ONCE! That is how I place the level of Importance!

I hope that makes sense.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
This is a neat idea. A kid cell phone that can only (apparently) dial one of four pre-programmed numbers. There is no keypad, disallowing kids to dial numbers on their own.

I read about this in the paper...it seems like a good idea for those concerned about safety. If memory serves, they said a downside was that the 911 button was too easy to (accidentally) activate.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I read about this in the paper...it seems like a good idea for those concerned about safety. If memory serves, they said a downside was that the 911 button was too easy to (accidentally) activate.

That was the problem I had with it. I almost bought these for my kids because I like the idea also, but I could just see my youngest and his little hip-hop pals in the corner of the schoolyard calling 911 for help as a prank.

Latest Discussions