Careers in Martial Arts

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a musician who explores various career options open to those with musical talent and/or interest.

In a similar vein, I'm curious about careers based on martial arts (either as a martial artist or in which martial arts skills play a big part or provide a benefit)

Here are some of my ideas.

School Teacher (Martial Arts school... not Elementary School :)
Private (martial arts) Instructor
LEO
Bodyguard
Private Security
Stunt Person (movies)
Mercenary

any others?

Note: I'm not considering these careers for myself, I just thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Defensive Tactics Instructor.........

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Prizefighter

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Computer Games!

You have to wear a funny suit so the computer can record your moves.

Movies!

Instead of wirefu you also wear a funny suit to make the CGs look more real.

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
Being a martial artist alone is not enuff to qualify for those "glamor jobs".
Having military experience helps or even college. I worked as undercover operative for several large security companies around the nation, I can speak a certain language and look like I dont know squat. Being able to act is very important in a job like that. I also used a little climbing experience I had learned , I had to climb up a 2 story building. Of course you must know the law to be able to do the job as well, I was not an leo.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, Freep, you said MA school not elementary school... have you been in some of the elementary schools lately? I'm thinking having a martial arts background could come in real handy there. "I said it's NAP TIME! Kiai!"

Instructing security personell on non-lethal detention techniques would be an idea. Teaching a semester long self defense course at local colleges could be another idea.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:snipe:

Assassin -- work is outsourced for plausible deniability. "We don't know who this guy is." No muss, no fuss. "That will be $1000.00."

"Thank ----- you."

Hahahaha
Only a thousand? Budget assassination, what a concept.:boing2:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a martial artist alone is not enuff to qualify for those "glamor jobs".
Having military experience helps or even college. I worked as undercover operative for several large security companies around the nation, I can speak a certain language and look like I dont know squat. Being able to act is very important in a job like that. I also used a little climbing experience I had learned , I had to climb up a 2 story building. Of course you must know the law to be able to do the job as well, I was not an leo.
Actually, martial arts skills are only a very small part of being a LEO. Unlike Walker, we usually try to outgun the folks we deal with, to avoid fights. And when we fight, we try to have enough of us to overwhelm any resistance...

As for a DT instructor... That's one of my personal annoyances. I don't care how many black belts you have -- there's only so far they'll carry you when you're talking to guys who have to use it for real. There aren't that many folks who haven't worked as a cop or bouncer who have any credibility talking about DT. There are way too many who have this black belt and that black sash, and a smattering of other certificates that try to pass off some dumb ideas for DT or self defense.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well what about Babysitter since alot of school are now Mc Dojo's. Good money great hours and tons of money.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's probably a whole lot more to being a "pro" bodyguard" than just the martial arts, too. Like, evasive driving skills.

"Okay, as per the contract, we get a bonus for 'getting the client off the X' without their getting killed."

"That will be $10,000."

"Thank -- you, and come again."

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, martial arts skills are only a very small part of being a LEO. Unlike Walker, we usually try to outgun the folks we deal with, to avoid fights. And when we fight, we try to have enough of us to overwhelm any resistance...

As for a DT instructor... That's one of my personal annoyances. I don't care how many black belts you have -- there's only so far they'll carry you when you're talking to guys who have to use it for real. There aren't that many folks who haven't worked as a cop or bouncer who have any credibility talking about DT. There are way too many who have this black belt and that black sash, and a smattering of other certificates that try to pass off some dumb ideas for DT or self defense.
What training, specifically, do you suggest that an instructor have before attempting to teach DT to others. Many arts don't deal with detention at all, rather blast your opponent into unconsciousness and move on. Others teach a multitude of ways to detain and restrain as a normal part of the curricullum. This isn't a confrontational post, it's genuine curiosity.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What training, specifically, do you suggest that an instructor have before attempting to teach DT to others. Many arts don't deal with detention at all, rather blast your opponent into unconsciousness and move on. Others teach a multitude of ways to detain and restrain as a normal part of the curricullum. This isn't a confrontational post, it's genuine curiosity.

Ya gotta understand the whole Use Of Force continum, and it varies from dept to dept...Before I was alowed to teach at a State authorized academy I had to take 2 seperate classes..One on how to teach adults and one at the training HQ to insure I understood how the STATE wants us to teach..

jks9199 said:
As for a DT instructor... That's one of my personal annoyances. I don't care how many black belts you have -- there's only so far they'll carry you when you're talking to guys who have to use it for real. There aren't that many folks who haven't worked as a cop or bouncer who have any credibility talking about DT. There are way too many who have this black belt and that black sash, and a smattering of other certificates that try to pass off some dumb ideas for DT or self defense

Well said...I had already been a cop for about 15 years before I started teaching, I knew what works and what will not..All the "Wax On and Wax Off" will not..

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya gotta understand the whole Use Of Force continum, and it varies from dept to dept...Before I was alowed to teach at a State authorized academy I had to take 2 seperate classes..One on how to teach adults and one at the training HQ to insure I understood how the STATE wants us to teach..
The officer that instructs at the police academy for this area is an acquaintance of mine. I'll have to ask him what the local deal is. I was talking about non-gov't employed security earlier. We have hospital security in the area that cover both ends of the spectrum. One group has a police force that are authorized to carry sidearms and perform any duties on the hospital grounds that a local dept can do in town and the other end has NO authority to do anything more than observe and call the police. The guys that don't have any training have approached me about some basic aikido locks and such for defense. They have a new head of security who may be amenable. I don't know. Seems like there'd be a lot of liability on my part if I agreed to help them out.

Latest Discussions