Anybody ever heard of this

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any resemblance that this marketing/motivational scheme may have to transmitting worthwhile MA skills to your students would appear to be purely coincidental. This guy seems to be guaranteeing you wild success even if you don't deserve it.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any resemblance that this marketing/motivational scheme may have to transmitting worthwhile MA skills to your students would appear to be purely coincidental. This guy seems to be guaranteeing you wild success even if you don't deserve it.

I agre and would never use anything like this, I just thought it was funny somebody sent it to me.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Marketing does work! I worked at a BIG toy store one time. It was a very silly job, but I was down and out and needed the money. The stuck me in the section of the store selling little girls' toys! The other employees would get on the walkie talkies and say, "It looks a little PINK over there, doesn't it Robert, hahaha!" But I needed the money, so I did it.

Christmas time came, and the toy buying started. We had one product that was some kind of "Bratz car". It was simply a toy car. We had many OTHER kinds of toy cars that were perfectly good, if not better in some regards, but no, the parents insisted on buying THAT particular car! We sold them as fast as we could, parents would tell me, "Here, you call me on the phone if you get one of those particular cars, okay? And give me the phone number."

It was crazy, because it was NOTHING MORE THAN MARKETING. Period.

Now, if you are selling toys (or cars, or anything else), then I believe these principles of marketing are operative.

But, it is so different with the Martial Arts Teacher. Why? Because there is so much pride that is built in. They will not simply rip off the students, because the relationship can go years, decades.

One time -- this one teacher told another teacher -- "Your black belt students are worthless." The first teacher then "gave it back", he kicked him in the head with the crescent kick.

No car salesman has this kind of pride. That is why it is different.

Also, -- this thing looks like that lieutenant-X thing that we spoke of some months ago. I wish that Martial Arts Teachers made more money, but I do not think that there is a way, without compromising the integrity (I will not mention names -- you know, the McDojos).

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My take on it is that this is just to generate revenue, only. If that is the case, then if the Teacher is good, marketing can help, A LOT!

But who is to say that this man is selling truely effective techniques? He offers NO examples, none. Just like that Lieutanant X guy. If that fighting system is so good, then demonstrate it, but he would not.

Talk, talk, talk. This guy here may know nothing of marketing KMA, though he talks as he does.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I know marketing "works"..... but you know something else? People of integrity like you and terry will always, in an absolute sense, be richer than these shadow merchants.When its all said and done, you can look yourselves in the mirror.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, I know marketing "works"..... but you know something else? People of integrity like you and terry will always, in an absolute sense, be richer than these shadow merchants.When its all said and done, you can look yourselves in the mirror.

YES! That's right! INTEGRITY is so important! You cannot be untrue to yourself!

But, we also know that there is a way to present some school to people, that will pique their interest, and draw them in. There surely is no shame in this.

But, I have no reason to believe that this man here knows how to do this, and I *ALSO* know that there is no such thing as a lie to a marketing person!

I saw a study once, and the types of majors in colleges and universitys that had the HIGHEST occurrence of academic dishonesty was the marketing majors. Nothing matters to them but the result -- to generate the highest revenue. So, even the best ones of the bunch may say, "Okay, you must decide -- do you wish to have the best revenue, or do you wish to accurately pass on this Way, you choose?"

If this man has GOOD techniques, then it would be okay to use them, because the Teacher either HAS integrity or does not. But, from reading this, yes, we see that there is something fishy here -- maybe he says, "You train many black belts, then you send them around the city, they pay you money, a cut of the money, and you keep expanding this way, you take the city over".

This is not something that a Teacher with Integrity would do anyway, so it would be worthless to have the book, but I do not know if this is the case, and, again, this man offers NO examples, none. He wishes to sell this product "sight unseen".
That is crazy, I think.

Scarey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I went into reading this site with an open mind, and then I read the first piont in the sales pitch: "Cost-effective ways to "position" yourself as "THE EXPERT" in your town, city, or area (and it doesn't matter what "belt" you are)". What a load.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bah! That guy is a pretender. Just send me $200 and I'll make you the man.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

:rofl: That is the best way I've ever heard that put! Very nice!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tiger Shulmann says this guy is a "friggin genius". What more do you need?
icon12.gif

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have been looking on google tonight trying to find some marketing tricks for free -- The school I go to needs more students, and who knows, maybe I can find something that is useful.

Here are some:

Many different ways to increase "visibility":
http://www.businessbrainwaves.com/archive_section/29.10.2004.htm

Students themselves get "business cards":
This strategy might sound a little too new age but here is my reasoning behind it. I found that children are excited that they have their very own business card. In fact, I discovered that they go out of their way to pass them out to their friends.
http://www.championsway.com/consult...k-to-School-Marketing--Strategies-Part-V.html

I might tell my Master Instructor about these. He may find them useful. I go to a commercial school -- we must pay rent on the Dojang. There must be students coming to the school, or the school will not survive. This is capitalism. You have to play this game, there is no escape, if you wish to have a commercial school.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
From New York

Hey I'm from NY pay me $500 and I will likely give you just as much of a chance to make 100k as he is. :D

Just one example of my TRULY earth shattering idea.

A great way to make 100k a year is to make a website and tell people you can get them make over 100k a year for only $600. Get 167 people to send you a check and BINGO you made over 100k :D

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey I'm from NY pay me $500 and I will likely give you just as much of a chance to make 100k as he is. :D

Just one example of my TRULY earth shattering idea.

A great way to make 100k a year is to make a website and tell people you can get them make over 100k a year for only $600. Get 167 people to send you a check and BINGO you made over 100k :D

Smart marketing

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What about promotion, BigDon, can you also offer that, if needed?

:lol:
Abso-friggin-lutely! $100 for the first rank, $200 each additional
Money orders/cashier's checks, cash happily accepted at any of my one location