Best Steven Seagal martial arts movie?

B

baronv

Which of Seagal's movies do you think had the best use of his aikido/martial arts training?

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Seagal is one of my favorit actors I personally like either "Marked for death" or "Under seige 1" the one with Tommy Lee Jones

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Steven Segal can act??? he's a decent MA'ist, but an actor he is not. Marked For Death was probably his best movie, but I do like The Glimmer Man and Exit Wounds. I think I'll take Chuck Norris any day or even Dolph Lundgren. hell, I think Jeff Speakman is a better actor.

OP
R

Rob Wilson

The first Under Siege was pretty good- excluding the clunky knife fight at the end. That movie, on a side note, really signalled the end of Colm Meaney's acting career, when he got blown away by Miss July. :rolleyes:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss
Steven Segal can act??? he's a decent MA'ist, but an actor he is not. Marked For Death was probably his best movie, but I do like The Glimmer Man and Exit Wounds. I think I'll take Chuck Norris any day or even Dolph Lundgren. hell, I think Jeff Speakman is a better actor.

Yeah, I think the consensus would be that Seagal is a sucky actor, but, I think baronv just wanted opinions on which of Seagal's movies have the best martial arts action. His earlier flicks had some good action.

streetwise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In his first (I think?) movie. during the opening credits, he is doing what looks like a demo for some older masters. He hits guys with some killer irimi nage's. It is the old aiki bit where they throw whatever they want and you hit them with the same move. No audio, but the BEST moves I have ever seen from Seagal.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
That one was "Above the Law."

It was my favorite of his movies, but that isn't saying much since I don't rate Segal very high.

Lamont

OP
D

Disco

The next movie he makes. Hopefully it will be better than the other's. I will say one good thing for his movies. The martial arts action scenes for my money are the most realistic. I read somewhere that he has a new crew of stunt people for each movie. Reason being, guys do get hurt during the shooting.

OP
B

baronv

Yes, thanks for the input. I agree that Seagal isn't the best actor out there, come on he came in at the same time as Jean Claude Van Damme and I doubt they'll be getting an Oscar next week. But I do like some of his techniques he's used in his early movies before he bloated up.

Between Above the Law & Marked for Death, which film had him kicking butt more and throwing down some aikido/karate action?

OP
D

Disco

ABOVE THE LAW, was that the movie where he was a cop in Brooklyn N.Y. and he went after the cop killer? He did some good stuff in that one. The movie where he was against the Jamacian Posse was not to bad either>

OP
M

Master of Blades

I dont rate Steven Seagal.......at all :shrug:

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by Disco
ABOVE THE LAW, was that the movie where he was a cop in Brooklyn N.Y. and he went after the cop killer? He did some good stuff in that one. The movie where he was against the Jamacian Posse was not to bad either>

The first movie was Out For Justice and the second one was Marked For Death

OP
M

MartialArtist

I honestly don't think people like Seagal, Norris, Bruce Lee, or Van Damm (if you can even call him a MAist) can act.

Jet Li's acting skills aren't really portrayed in his new computer FX movies, but his old hong kong ones seemed pretty decent.

Jackie Chan, now that man can make almost anyone laugh.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by DAC..florida
Seagal is one of my favorit actors I personally like either "Marked for death" or "Under seige 1" the one with Tommy Lee Jones

Really? From what I've heard and read so far you may rank as one of his best fans, well at least in this forum. ;)

You're in good company, I read that M.O.B. kid also thinks highly of Seagal too... :rofl:

OP
K

Kroy

I think Segals very first movie was his best, it introduced alot of people to Aikido. Someone should teach him to run better, whats with the arms?

Latest Discussions