Cardio Kickboxing Workouts as a Way to Stay in Shape and Practice?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cardio Kickboxing Workouts as a Way to Stay in Shape and Practice? Thoughts? Understand that I am speaking SPECIFICALLY of those such as Kathy Smith's "Kickboxing Cardio Workout" that use authentic techniques and are taught/led by an authentic martial artist (Keith Cook in Smith's case) and bad habits are not taught or reinforced. Also, I am assuming that the student utilizing such workouts has at least six months to a year of formal training in the recent past and that the student KNOWS the difference between sport and Self-Defence.

Personally, I found that my stamina, balance, control and reflexes improved by doing such workouts (one taught in person by a former kickboxer and the other the Smith tape).

What do you folks think? Remember, I'm NOT talking about Tae Bo or its children.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Cardio Kickboxing Workouts as a Way to Stay in Shape and Practice? Thoughts? Understand that I am speaking SPECIFICALLY of those such as Kathy Smith's "Kickboxing Cardio Workout" that use authentic techniques and are taught/led by an authentic martial artist (Keith Cook in Smith's case) and bad habits are not taught or reinforced. Also, I am assuming that the student utilizing such workouts has at least six months to a year of formal training in the recent past and that the student KNOWS the difference between sport and Self-Defence.

Personally, I found that my stamina, balance, control and reflexes improved by doing such workouts (one taught in person by a former kickboxer and the other the Smith tape).

What do you folks think? Remember, I'm NOT talking about Tae Bo or its children.

Yes, these workouts provide a great workout!! I see nothing wrong with them as long as the moves that are being taught are done correctly. Nothing worse than throwing a move, either in the air or on a bag and risking injuring yourself.

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Johnathon for a pure cardio workout YES, but the majority of people teaching it does not know proper kick techniques and could hurt your training for those kicks. Just my opinion, but if you actually get someone that can do it right great workout.
Terry

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
My 6th Dan Hapkido instrucor (ie...he knows his MA technique). Also teaches a Cardio Kickboxing class at his school, which I attend. Especially for his students who are also Hapkido students, he emphasizes proper technique in punching and kicking. When we kick and punch, we don't do it in the air. It's either solo on the WaveMaster or with a parter against Muy Thai pads on the arms. So that class is not just a fitness/strength class but it also gives me a lot of chance to work n making sure my technique is proper, *especially* when fatigued. It's a heck of a workout, much harder than what I've run into in normal MA classes and I think it's made a big difference in my stamina and strength when I *do* get into the Hapkido class.

Probably any good conditioning class is going to be good for you. If it's taught by a good MA instructor who knows his stuff, it can be a valuable time to get repetitions in on some techniques.

As long as someone doesn't go to a class that teaches bad punching and kicking and think that it is teaching them self-defense

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have to echo the sentiment that it is great as long as you have a good, qualified teacher. I attend, and teach periodically, cardio kickbox classes and make sure that they reinforce good technique as well as giving the students the cardio workout that they are looking for.

Good technique and good cardio workout are not mutually exclusive, you just have to find someone who knows both. Unfortunately, a lot of cardio kickbox classes out there are "add-ons" in MA schools and the person teaching them has no actual kickboxing training.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Cardio Kickboxing videos compliment martial arts very well.Especially the striking arts.I too use the Kathy Smith video (along with a few others,if you get the chance check out "Elite Forces" its quite a workout) I found that it helps with stamnia and endurance of course but it also greatly helps with agility;and thats important for any fighter!

One good method to do is to do Kathy Smith's advance Kickboxing section with weights on,when they throw combinations try to double them up.For example if they to a jab /cross combo ,try to do a jab/cross/jab/ cross combination.This is greatly increase your stamnia.Also another good practice is to do an intense heavy bagwork session right after the kickboxing video.When I use to do is 4 x 30 repeated Thai round kicks on each leg,then after that combonations.After a few weeks a training like that you will be surprized of how much your stamnia and agility will increase!So YES!! Kickboxing videos are with out a doubt an good way to stay in shape and improve your fighting game.

-Good training!

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Johnathon for a pure cardio workout YES, but the majority of people teaching it does not know proper kick techniques and could hurt your training for those kicks. Just my opinion, but if you actually get someone that can do it right great workout.
Terry

Good points and I agree. However; I did mean specifically only those that were taught and demonstrated by professional martial artists and utilized authentic and good techniques.