Car Shopping....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess come next week, I'll be starting to go car shopping.

my dear van, a 1988 Chevy Sport model sprung a leek and died on me this afternoon.
RIP, The Beast, AK The Party Wagon. You shall be missed!

Once we talk to the bank, I suppose I will look more closely at the Ford Transit connect minivan/caravan I talked earlier this year about, but hey, at this point, I would take a Kia Cinco....or Rio....

I asked the tow truck guy if it was the shortest haul, since it wasn't but a few yards to the house....I did not make that record, but probably got points for breaking down on the steepest possible road.....it took longer to secure the van than to truck it to the house!
:lol:

Oh well, Merry Christmas to me I guess.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awww...sorry to hear you lost your friend. I'm really curious to see if you like the Transit Connect if you decide to go that way. :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Usually at this point I would post an image or two of an Aston Martin, TVR, Lotus or Jaguar ... but I shall behave and be practical this time.

How about one of these? http://motoring.friday-ad.co.uk/war...le/jaguar-x-type/jaguar-x-type-2-0d-SN6642951

Or one of these http://www.westovergroup.co.uk/jaguar/used-cars/4532/jaguar-xk ... ooops was supposed to be being sensible :angel:

Perhaps one of these: http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/mmc/carrange/44/44morgan.html

Darn it! What is happening?!

... every time I try to post up a van I get one of these 'silly' sports cars instead ... :lol:

Ah here we go ... this one is practical ... it handles off-road and rough terrain: http://www.lotuscars.com/gb/racing/exige-r-gt

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with Suk...

Here's one that can seat 6 and deal with the occassional dirt road while carrying all your neighbors too.
View attachment $IM001015.jpg

A little smaller, fits into parking lots easier, and will also handle the occassional dirt road.
View attachment $P8060060.jpg

Conmpact, fits anywhere, fun to drive, and 26MPG average. And there's more room in the back than you might expect. I can fit Sue, me, and our luggage/gear for a dive trip in there.
View attachment $Vette 011.jpg

It even has a back seat!
View attachment $P5270010.jpg

All practical cars, to my way of thinking...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Late model Fords, within the last few years, are solid cars. My wife drove a Fusion as a company car for 3 years and it was very, very nice. I also picked up a Ford Fiesta as a second car for road trips when I can't take the electric car, and love it. Fun to drive, five speed manual and it even has crank up windows (which, for whatever reason, I love a car without all the bells and whistles).

If their vans are anything like the cars I've seen, you won't go wrong with Ford. I think the C-Max is also getting good reviews, and it gets close to 50mpg for a minivan/crossover. Not shabby.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
small update

The Beast might yet rise again.
Seems like a frost plug blew out, causing it to lose all the coolant. If driving it overheated didn't kill the engine (it still cranked, but probably needs an oil change now) the Beast will carry me along a little longer until I get to test drive all those practical solutions you guys offered up for help. :)

I would not mind having just a Fiesta...but both my guys are big, and I don't think they fit in there were comfortably....
Plus I need some room to transport stuff when the truck is not at my disposal - or when it rains....

GrandmasterP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Chevy every time.
Since they bought out Daewoo the Matiz has gone from strength to strength.
1,000 cc of pure unadulterated lack of power but super reliable and I can park it anywhere.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Drove a focus and a fusion last year visiting the wife's folks, I would seriously look at Ford if I was buying a car. However, mine is on a list of most indestructable cars, so hopefully I'm safe for a long while.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
small update

Seems like a frost plug blew out, causing it to lose all the coolant. If driving it overheated didn't kill the engine (it still cranked, but probably needs an oil change now) the Beast will carry me along a little longer until I get to test drive all those practical solutions you guys offered up for help. :)

I would not mind having just a Fiesta...but both my guys are big, and I don't think they fit in there were comfortably....
Plus I need some room to transport stuff when the truck is not at my disposal - or when it rains....
The fiesta has plenty of room in the front seat, but my poor son (6'1"/220lbs) is like a sardine in the back seat, particularly when he's back there with his two sisters! :D

We ended up with the Fiesta because it was cheap (under $14k for the hatchback), fuel efficient, pretty safe, well rated and we're probably going to give it to my daughter when she graduates from college. The Focus is larger and also very fun to drive. Of course, it's also a little more expensive.

Ultimately, my wife has had a Chevy Equinox, which wasn't great. She also had a Ford Fusion, which she loved, and now drives a Chrysler 200. The Chrysler SEEMS nice. It drives okay, has decent power and is fairly well appointed. But the seats are very uncomfortable and overall, she doesn't like it nearly as well as she did her Ford. She just found out that her next car will be a Dodge Dart. I'll let you know what she thinks when she gets it. :)

Hey, also check out the Kia. The new Kias are solid, well built cars.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
small update

If you blew a freeze plug, there's good chance you seized up the engine. If you shut it down before that happened, there's till the likelihood that they're going to charge you a good sum to replace it since (depending on which one) they may have to pull the engine just to get at it. If you have to go with something new, go with the fiesta. Ford makes a good car. If you have too much money, I believe someone (suk) mentioned Aston Martin. hehehe. I wish!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I drove a Mercury Gran Marquis for a few years, aside from people instinctively slowing down in front of me, that was a great car. Extremely comfortable. Mucho Power and roomy too.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I drove a Mercury Gran Marquis for a few years, aside from people instinctively slowing down in front of me, that was a great car. Extremely comfortable. Mucho Power and roomy too.

I use to drive one of these awhile back

2011-08-04_15-17-03_753.23181556_std.jpg

And except for blowing the occasional Yugo off the road when I passed it and not being able to pass a gas station... it was a great vehicle

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you blew a freeze plug, there's good chance you seized up the engine. If you shut it down before that happened, there's till the likelihood that they're going to charge you a good sum to replace it since (depending on which one) they may have to pull the engine just to get at it.

He said it still cranked but, it could still have some decent internal damage. You are correct about the motor having to come out if it is a van. The question would be which is cheaper the engine repairs or a new vehicle?

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score

And except for blowing the occasional Yugo off the road when I passed it and not being able to pass a gas station... it was a great vehicle

305?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

This is what I used as a donor vehicle when I built that Wrangler up above.

The engine got rebuilt as a 383 stroker, the TH350 got beefed up a bit, the axles had their gears changed to 5.13:1 with Detroit lockers, but the entire driveline sits under the Wrangler now.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is what I used as a donor vehicle when I built that Wrangler up above.

The engine got rebuilt as a 383 stroker, the TH350 got beefed up a bit, the axles had their gears changed to 5.13:1 with Detroit lockers, but the entire driveline sits under the Wrangler now.

I had one of these right before that

cj5-jeeps-for-sale--47872708183537010.jpg

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
K2500 4x4, with a 350, 4bbl, 4 bolt main.

I totally misread the original comments. My tired brain combined the Yugo with being passed and the 305 was the only solution my brain could come up with. :caffeine:

Latest Discussions