Canadian Bus Attack!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tragic story. This is perfect example of why you never let your guard down when using public transportation.
Yes true but try riding cross country on a bus for a couple of days... staying awake, staying alert while trying to stay awake. Not that easy. Even from L.A. to Chicago is a three day trip.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This reinforces how important martial arts is. You never know what can happen. that's why you train to be ready for worst of situations. It won't guarantee survival but it sure will up your chances.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This reinforces how important martial arts is. You never know what can happen. that's why you train to be ready for worst of situations. It won't guarantee survival but it sure will up your chances.

No, it doesn't.

If you are asleep and someone sticks a knife into you with no warning martial arts don't mean a thing.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tragic story. This is perfect example of why you never let your guard down when using public transportation.

I have to disagree.

Freaky stuff happens. Public transportation is perfectly safe.

Anywhere you can possibly be there is a chance someone will break in and kill you, but its a very small chance most of the time.

The result of this instance was bad enough, if it gets people to be paranoid about the people around them and to stop trusting strangers then it will have been far worse.

Most people are good people, there is the odd one that is not. People like the attacker here are extremely rare. Random attacks without provocation are also very rare.

Make people think they have to constantly be on guard in case someone tries something like this to them and you are more likely to end up with more of these sorts of instances IMO.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, it doesn't.

If you are asleep and someone sticks a knife into you with no warning martial arts don't mean a thing.

My understanding of martial arts would include not falling asleep on the bus. I grew up on public transportation and have no reason to believe it's perfectly safe. I have more than a few experiences that tell me the exact opposite.

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My understanding of martial arts would include not falling asleep on the bus. I grew up on public transportation and have no reason to believe it's perfectly safe. I have more than a few experiences that tell me the exact opposite.
But when you are travelling cross country on a bus - it will take several days. Sleeping almost certainly will happen - and if you take enough chemicals to fight off sleep for 3 or 4 days of monotony...

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to disagree.

Freaky stuff happens. Public transportation is perfectly safe.

Anywhere you can possibly be there is a chance someone will break in and kill you, but its a very small chance most of the time.

The result of this instance was bad enough, if it gets people to be paranoid about the people around them and to stop trusting strangers then it will have been far worse.

Most people are good people, there is the odd one that is not. People like the attacker here are extremely rare. Random attacks without provocation are also very rare.

Make people think they have to constantly be on guard in case someone tries something like this to them and you are more likely to end up with more of these sorts of instances IMO.

None of these statements helped that dead person. Odd ones are extremely rare yes but all it takes is one. Let's not forget that.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
None of these statements helped that dead person. Odd ones are extremely rare yes but all it takes is one. Let's not forget that.

Nope, doesn't help him.

But if it had been someone killed by lightning, probably a more frequent occurrence then getting stabbed by a stranger in your sleep, would we be discussing ways to "stay alert and not trust the outdoors?"

No, of course not, because it would have been a completely unpreventable occurrence that sometimes just happens.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can't be on combat alert 24/7/365...or if you are, we're well aware of the effects of doing so as we see in soldiers. It's just not realistic.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
For those who would say he deserves the death penalty, he's obviously not in his right mind. On the stand he only said "kill me". I agree with a voluntary death penalty. None of you were inside the man's head and none of you know what went on. He could have heard voices, halucinated, obviously he had incredibly serious problems. Something like this may be predictable 50% of the time, everyone the police intervieved said he was a calm, nice guy, not particularly talkative. Those who snap, those who are sane and something just misfires in their head. Epileptic seizures can be brought on by a combination of external stimuli, out of the blue, by someone in their 40's who's never had one before. Who here claims to understand insanity? Deserves to die. I dissagree. Unfortunate. Then he gets medicated, realizes what he's done and lives with it for the rest of his life. He want's to die, perhaps it would be the right thing to do but keep in mind executing someone after the fact for safety (since he's nuts it wouldn't exactly be justice) doesn't prevent what that person's already done. If he wasn't crazy and knew what he was doing, wouldn't he still have to be crazy? What if it was just stress induced rage brought on by frustration. Taking such actions again, makes me question his sanity. If a person's not in their right mind, they aren't actually at fault. If someone like this should be arbitrarily executed be honest about the reasons. Society deemed him too dangerous to be left alive.

Latest Discussions