Canada makes good swords

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe because you are yet to validate your own background. Don't know Chris or his background, and yeah his posts can be bit hard to read for someone like me, but still, I do believe he asks valid questions. He appears to know his stuff, do you?

In context, I'd say it was a fair question. But also one that could be answered by reviewing the board. Chris has addressed elements of his training numerous times. You've pretty much complained about your training... and Chris answered the first time you asked. You... Yeah, not so prompt or directly answered.

So... credibility win on swords? Chris, hands down, I'd say.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry for offtopic but one question could dao training be considered similar to sword training (yes I know dao translates to big knife not sword) but technically it's as long as a lot of swords... Or does it just go as knife training plain simple

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry for offtopic but one question could dao training be considered similar to sword training (yes I know dao translates to big knife not sword) but technically it's as long as a lot of swords... Or does it just go as knife training plain simple

Whole lotta things wrong with your question there Donald. Dao actually refers to a Chinese saber, as opposed to a jian (straight sword). There are a number of different kinds of dao, and it depends upon the tradition that you're learning as to what the training consists of. Since I'm a great lover of analogies, here's one that seems appropriate to me ... it's like asking about "band practice" without specifying what sort of instrument in what type of band. Lead guitar in a garage band would be much different from tuba in a marching band. :)

So, "dao training" is about as generic a term as "sword training", and pretty much as useless for conversational interaction. :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whole lotta things wrong with your question there Donald. Dao actually refers to a Chinese saber, as opposed to a jian (straight sword). There are a number of different kinds of dao, and it depends upon the tradition that you're learning as to what the training consists of. Since I'm a great lover of analogies, here's one that seems appropriate to me ... it's like asking about "band practice" without specifying what sort of instrument in what type of band. Lead guitar in a garage band would be much different from tuba in a marching band. :)

So, "dao training" is about as generic a term as "sword training", and pretty much as useless for conversational interaction. :)

I practice with liuyedao i atleast think this is a liuyedao

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I practice with liuyedao i atleast think this is a liuyedao

Close, but no. This is a Liuyedao

liuyedao.jpg

What you linked was a Niuweidao

Oxtail_Saber_Niu_Wei_Dao_Dynasty_Forge_DF025.jpg

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe because you are yet to validate your own background. Don't know Chris or his background, and yeah his posts can be bit hard to read for someone like me, but still, I do believe he asks valid questions. He appears to know his stuff, do you?

As I said before, my preferences in swords are my preferences and everybody else doesn't have the same preferences I do. I like the swords I've got but that doesn't mean other people have to like them too. So there is no point in people knowing my background on swords, Im not trying to push my preferences on them.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
No reason at all. However, if you'll notice, Chris answered your question directly and succinctly. This is opposed to your answer to the same question, which was vague and unhelpful. You seem to work very hard to make yourself seem knowledgeable, but it always tends to show just how much you don't know about whatever subject you brought up. Asking questions is not a bad thing. Pretending to be something you're not is.

I don't claim to be knowledgeable on swords, Im just happy with the swords I've got. That doesn't mean other people have to think they're good swords.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
In context, I'd say it was a fair question. But also one that could be answered by reviewing the board. Chris has addressed elements of his training numerous times. You've pretty much complained about your training... and Chris answered the first time you asked. You... Yeah, not so prompt or directly answered.

So... credibility win on swords? Chris, hands down, I'd say.

My complaints aren't so much with my training or my dojo but rather with some of the attitudes and stereotypes that are prevalent in the martial arts community itself but that is another topic. As for being credible on swords, I was not out to win in the first place. Nobody has to agree with me on what would make a good sword.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You ask what my background is, why shouldn't I ask about yours?

Honestly, there's no reason you shouldn't ask. By all means, I welcome the question… however, the simple fact here is that my bona fides in this regard are fairly well established (look through the threads in this section for my posts, for example), whereas your posts show rather the opposite. So, by all means, ask whatever you want in regards to my knowledge and understanding… but at least have the common courtesy to answer the questions posed to yourself as well. There have been a number I've asked that you have simply ignored… ones that could have cleared up your level of understanding quite quickly.

Now, with that said…

As I said before, my preferences in swords are my preferences and everybody else doesn't have the same preferences I do. I like the swords I've got but that doesn't mean other people have to like them too. So there is no point in people knowing my background on swords, Im not trying to push my preferences on them.

This isn't what you said in the thread title, the opening post, your second post, and so on.

I don't claim to be knowledgeable on swords, Im just happy with the swords I've got. That doesn't mean other people have to think they're good swords.

Actually, you did claim to be knowledgable about swords. That's the premise of the thread… and most of your posts in it.

My complaints aren't so much with my training or my dojo but rather with some of the attitudes and stereotypes that are prevalent in the martial arts community itself but that is another topic.

"Attitudes and stereotypes"?!? Dude, I have no idea what you're going on about…

As for being credible on swords, I was not out to win in the first place. Nobody has to agree with me on what would make a good sword.

Let's look at your first two posts, then…

The OP:

I just got a sword from a Canadian company. I must say, Canada makes good swords, or at least the company I got the sword from does.

You state pretty simply that "Canada makes good swords"… which is a qualitative comment. It is a comment stating that the sword you purchased is good (quality)… not "Hey, I got this sword, and I really like it"… no, your comment was "these are good swords". Here's the thing… you liking something is not equal to it being good. I really like terrible, lousy, groan-inducing jokes… that doesn't make them "good" jokes… I really like trashy popcorn films… are they "good"? Nope!

Then, when asked what qualified you to make the observation that the swords were "good" (note: not that you liked them, that they were "good"), the response was:

First of all, the material its made out of. Some people who don't know much about swords erroneously believe that stainless steel is a good material when in fact its very poor. Stainless steel is way to brittle to make good swords and a sword made of it doesn't serve much purpose other than being a wall decoration. Carbon steel such as AISI 10XX or AISI 5160 are good materials. Also, its much better to have a hand forged sword than a sword that's entirely factory produced. A good sword will be sharp and will cut well and have good hardness but will also be flexible and will have a blade that can easily bend. I would also want a sword that looks nice although for me that is a secondary concern. There are tests to determine if a sword is good, one of which is to try the sword on rolled up tatami mats.

Which is a list of aspects of the crafting of the weapon that you think are important (missing the point and actual question you were asked)… with such comments as talking about what "people who don't know much about swords erroneously believe"… but you weren't looking to be seen as knowledgable?

Do you want to try again?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ha, sorry about that… if there's ever any question you have, or want any clarification of anything I've said, just ask… more than happy to clarify anything you need.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was not asking about preferences.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like swords, in fact I like most edged weapons, my knowledge of them however is confined to what I read. I know how to use a knife pretty well as taught by RM's and I know if a blade I use in that circumstance will do what I wan, I know a bit about kukris having spent a lot of time on shift with a Gurkha shift partner but that's it. I love the pictures of the Chinese weapons, they look lovely but that's it as far as I know so reading what the knowledgeable people write is great, making the mistake of thinking I know about things because I've bought a pretty sword or have read up a bit is touching on the arrogant I think but maybe that's just me.

Knowing what you don't know is probably a wise saying to bear in mind. :supcool:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I like the sword carried by Clive Owen in King Arthur. The Roman Gladius. Have not seen a real one, other than a museum piece, but held a replica. Obviously can't speak about its weight and balance, but it got the imagination working.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This isn't what you said in the thread title, the opening post, your second post, and so on.

That is what I meant. I should've said so.

Actually, you did claim to be knowledgable about swords. That's the premise of the thread… and most of your posts in it.

Then I should've worded it differently.

"Attitudes and stereotypes"?!? Dude, I have no idea what you're going on about…

Like I said its another topic.

Let's look at your first two posts, then…

The OP:

You state pretty simply that "Canada makes good swords"… which is a qualitative comment. It is a comment stating that the sword you purchased is good (quality)… not "Hey, I got this sword, and I really like it"… no, your comment was "these are good swords". Here's the thing… you liking something is not equal to it being good. I really like terrible, lousy, groan-inducing jokes… that doesn't make them "good" jokes… I really like trashy popcorn films… are they "good"? Nope!

Then, when asked what qualified you to make the observation that the swords were "good" (note: not that you liked them, that they were "good"), the response was:

Which is a list of aspects of the crafting of the weapon that you think are important (missing the point and actual question you were asked)… with such comments as talking about what "people who don't know much about swords erroneously believe"… but you weren't looking to be seen as knowledgable?

Do you want to try again?

Well then what I meant was that I like the sword I got from Canada. Im not saying everybody would say its good but I like it. And as for trashy popcorn films, if you say they're good than they're good according to your preference. Really, good is a matter of opinion. If there aren't that many other people who like such films it doesn't mean the films aren't good it means they aren't popular. Good is a matter of preference.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was not asking about preferences.

If your asking how knowledgeable I am on swords, I will admit Im not as knowledgeable as some of the people on this board. However, I will not buy a stainless steel blade and I would want something hand forged over something factory made.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is what I meant. I should've said so.

Hmm… look, to be honest, I'm not sure about that… the consistency in your phrasing doesn't really show any real opening for such miscommunication. Frankly, this all sounds like a back-peddle after you realised that what you thought you knew didn't really rate against the other knowledge here.

And I'm still waiting for answers to, well, pretty much all of my questions so far… such as which form of kenjutsu, iai etc that you did, how long, and so on…

Then I should've worded it differently.

Or, perhaps, simply written what you meant… if you actually did mean something completely opposite to what you wrote, of course…

Like I said its another topic.

Even as another topic it doesn't make any sense… but there's little point going through those issues of yours here.

Well then what I meant was that I like the sword I got from Canada. Im not saying everybody would say its good but I like it. And as for trashy popcorn films, if you say they're good than they're good according to your preference. Really, good is a matter of opinion. If there aren't that many other people who like such films it doesn't mean the films aren't good it means they aren't popular. Good is a matter of preference.

No, it's not. That's the thing. "Good" is not a matter of preference… "like" is. "Good" is a qualitative statement… it is a claim of quality, not preference. You may note that I never even suggested the "popcorn films" were good… or even that I thought they were good… just that I liked them. That's the difference.

If your asking how knowledgeable I am on swords, I will admit Im not as knowledgeable as some of the people on this board.

Well, yeah… of course, the way you're trying to tell us where we can learn about swords (the post telling us to go to Sword Buyers…) may show that as also rather disingenuous…

However, I will not buy a stainless steel blade and I would want something hand forged over something factory made.

You do know that there are plenty of non-stainless factory made weapons around as well, yeah?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm… look, to be honest, I'm not sure about that… the consistency in your phrasing doesn't really show any real opening for such miscommunication. Frankly, this all sounds like a back-peddle after you realised that what you thought you knew didn't really rate against the other knowledge here.

OK so Im back-peddling, so what?

And I'm still waiting for answers to, well, pretty much all of my questions so far… such as which form of kenjutsu, iai etc that you did, how long, and so on…

I did it for about a year. I could give the website of the place where I did it.

Even as another topic it doesn't make any sense… but there's little point going through those issues of yours here.
Then we wont go through them.

No, it's not. That's the thing. "Good" is not a matter of preference… "like" is. "Good" is a qualitative statement… it is a claim of quality, not preference. You may note that I never even suggested the "popcorn films" were good… or even that I thought they were good… just that I liked them. That's the difference.

It depends on how you use it. "Good," can be used for preference. Somebody might see a movie and say the movie was good. Other people might not agree and think the movie was terrible. Still, the person who liked the movie says its good, so they're using it for preference. So there you have it.

Well, yeah… of course, the way you're trying to tell us where we can learn about swords (the post telling us to go to Sword Buyers…) may show that as also rather disingenuous…

Right. Well than that's settled, and we can move on.

You do know that there are plenty of non-stainless factory made weapons around as well, yeah?

I know, and I would not buy one.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sigh..

OK so Im back-peddling, so what?

So when you say that you originally meant to just say you liked the swords, you're frankly lying. You've been caught out, and are trying to minimise the damage.

I did it for about a year. I could give the website of the place where I did it.

Did what for "about a year"? That's the damn question! Give the website, name the system, something that tells me what you actually did.

Then we wont go through them.

Hmm.

It depends on how you use it. "Good," can be used for preference. Somebody might see a movie and say the movie was good. Other people might not agree and think the movie was terrible. Still, the person who liked the movie says its good, so they're using it for preference. So there you have it.

"I think it was good" is different to "these items are good" (quality). Note which one you used.

Right. Well than that's settled, and we can move on.

Hmm.

I know, and I would not buy one.

Really? Do you know the difference? Do you know why you wouldn't buy one? Is it based on anything you actually know, or is it based on some false assumption like most of the rest of your posts?

Latest Discussions