Canada makes good swords

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, okay :D What I meant was, the term seems to have jumped. At the local Chippy you would ask for Banana Fritters, or am I missing something here?

We'd get banana fritters from the Chinese, covered with syrup! Up north you can get fried Mars bars though and in Middlesboro you get the most disgusting fried food ever 'the Parmo' horrid. Look it up I can't bring myself to describe it!
I have just finished a fast,( so no I don't eat bacon!) and have just stuffed my face lol.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
We'd get banana fritters from the Chinese, covered with syrup! Up north you can get fried Mars bars though and in Middlesboro you get the most disgusting fried food ever 'the Parmo' horrid. Look it up I can't bring myself to describe it!
I have just finished a fast,( so no I don't eat bacon!) and have just stuffed my face lol.

yelling1.gif

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bacon tends not to feature in many Jewish recipe books. :boing2:

Yes, pork would be wrong if you were kosher but turkey is not mentioned as a wrong... THUS TURKEY BACON WAS BORN :D

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK so how about potato skins topped with cheese and bacon and with sour cream too. And if you don't eat pig bacon it can be turkey bacon, or without any bacon.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Swords and food, that's a good combination, weapon spare, eat, 30 minute rest, then weapon spare some more :D

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Each to their own. Pork joints, sausages and what not I could do without. Bacon though, especially a nice smoked slab of gammon, could not. Wish those high street fast food vendors would start selling stew Hairy Bikers style.

Yeah my ateries have just decided that they are leaving me. Wow, I can eat a lot of *****, like the doner kebab. This though!!

$Meat_feast_parmo.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each to their own. Pork joints, sausages and what not I could do without. Bacon though, especially a nice smoked slab of gammon, could not. Wish those high street fast food vendors would start selling stew Hairy Bikers style.

Yeah my ateries have just decided that they are leaving me. Wow, I can eat a lot of *****, like the doner kebab. This though!!

View attachment 18963

Told you! it's disgusting!

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah they fry almost everything what's next... Fried chocolate, fried pizza... Fried fried chicken? :lfao:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've stated earlier in this thread what I look for a sword and what my criteria for buying a sword is, so what do you consider a good sword? What do you look for?

Your criteria was a bunch of words, bluntly… as I implied, most of what you said didn't mean anything by itself, hence my questions for clarification (that you've ignored). In terms of what I look for, that depends on what I'm using the sword for… I look for different things in a collection piece as I do in a training tool… and, even then, a training tool for Iai is different to a training tool for tameshigiri…. which can also change depending on the experience level of the people using it (my shinken is really for relative beginners… I'm looking at another with a bit more, uh, finesse to the blade… we'll see how that pans out). But, in broad terms, I look at the "health" of the blade, the sori, the cross-section, the balance, the fittings (how tight the ito-maki is, how well the tsuba and tsuka fit, how many seppa are needed, and so on), and more. My shinken was designed to be rather blade heavy, with a chu-kissaki, and a generous sori, primarily to be a medium-heavy use tameshigiri blade which would be quite forgiving of a poor technique (it's for my students, more than for me). My Iaito is a lot lighter, much better balanced, with a ko-kissaki, a slightly lesser sori, and so on. Using something like that (as a shinken, obviously) for tameshigiri, and your technique had better be right on, otherwise you're going to bend, or break the blade.

Well then, how is a sword used? What is a good test of a sword?

I'll tell you how it's not used… it's not used to hack into four-by-two. Nor is it used to "cut" another sword that's set up in a rigid stand, not allowing it to absorb the impact, and the stuff with the bottles? Yeah… not so much there, either.

With regards to a good "test" of a sword, again, you need to clarify what the sword is being used for first-off… then look at tests appropriate to that usage. But here's the thing… none of what has been shown are really tests of the blade… they're showmanship (and poor at that)… tameshigiri, the way it's done today, is not a test of the sword…

I've taken lessons in kendo, iaido, and kenjutsu, sometimes with a live blade.

What systems? "Kenjutsu" by itself doesn't mean anything… it could be complete garbage, made up by someone without a clue (not inconceivable…), or it could be a genuine system… from there, what length of time are we talking? You say you've taken "lessons"… are we talking three here? Or three years? Or three months? What exactly is your exposure? Are we talking Seitei Iaido, or something else?

And, frankly, you should have done none of it with a live blade. That's a huge red flag, to be honest.

I've also taken classes with this organization called ARMA (Association for Renaissance Martial Arts), an organization on european medievel sword fighting and yes, a katana is used very differently than a european longsword.

Yeah, I know the ARMA guys… to be honest, they can be fairly hit and miss… and, again, some "classes" doesn't mean much… what did you cover? To what depth? How much did you really get a handle on?

Now, might I ask what's your background on this stuff?

Wow, it's been quite a while since I was asked that… ha!

Decades. My background is decades.

I have been training with sword since 1993, including Koryu Kenjutsu (two separate ryu-ha), Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido, the sword methods of Hontai Yoshin Ryu, Kukishin Ryu, Togakure Ryu, and I have more than a passing familiarity with some few dozen more systems. I have been around swords for this length of time, including having a modest collection at one point, and have learnt about sword appraisal, polishing, crafting, and more.

Right now I use them mostly as wall pieces although I want them to also work effectively as weapons should the need arise. For training and drills I mostly use wooden practice swords.

"Should the need arise"?!?! What the hell?!?!

To the second part, what training and drills?

He is not the only person I've learned stuff about swords from. As I said before I've spoken to many people who make and sell swords for a living, and I've taken lessons as I mentioned above.

Sure, but the way that reads is a couple of lessons here and there… nothing that I'd class as really substantial enough to mean anything… can you clarify?

For my opinion to carry such weight in this case doesn't matter to me. I like the swords I've got. Im not saying everybody else has to agree on that or that they should buy them.

As has been mentioned, you state things as an absolute, as if your opinion does carry weight. If it doesn't matter to you, then you may want to look to how you phrase such things.

You have to consider that some of the people at renaissance festivals make and sell swords for a living, so they know what they're talking about.

Er… no. I've been in sales far too long to think that…

I've also taken classes on swords and sword use and I've talked with people who are serious sword collectors.

Yeah… still gonna need some clarification on these "classes"…

Another good place to get advice on swords is the Sword Buyers Guide, SBG. There website is this Sword Buyers Guide Home

Er… okay…

You do realise that you've posted in the sword section… most of the posters (and readers) in this section are pretty well up to date on who to listen to…

That does look like a nice sword. Here we also have sword makers who make real swords that are not just for decoration. Anyway, I do know you also still have knights, but they usually don't use swords that much anymore do they.

"Real swords that are not just for decoration"? Do you have a major problem with dragons there?

Honestly, I have little understanding of what you're saying here… are you just saying what you think things are like, or do you actually have some knowledge to back any of this up?

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seriously Chris? After all the talk of bacon and beer, you're going to attempt to drag this thread back on topic? :D
You know from the fellow's posts pretty much exactly what his experience level with swords is.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously Chris? After all the talk of bacon and beer, you're going to attempt to drag this thread back on topic? :D
You know from the fellow's posts pretty much exactly what his experience level with swords is.

Because sometimes......sometimes, you just can't let the monumental ignorance stay unanswered-or even the minor ignorance. Because the stupid

View attachment $the stupid.jpg

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ha, yeah… sorry bout that… but you know I don't like leaving questions unanswered… and come on, Paul, he asked what my sword background was! I mean… he asked what my background was! Ha!

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha, yeah… sorry bout that… but you know I don't like leaving questions unanswered… and come on, Paul, he asked what my sword background was! I mean… he asked what my background was! Ha!

You ask what my background is, why shouldn't I ask about yours?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe because you are yet to validate your own background. Don't know Chris or his background, and yeah his posts can be bit hard to read for someone like me, but still, I do believe he asks valid questions. He appears to know his stuff, do you?

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

No reason at all. However, if you'll notice, Chris answered your question directly and succinctly. This is opposed to your answer to the same question, which was vague and unhelpful. You seem to work very hard to make yourself seem knowledgeable, but it always tends to show just how much you don't know about whatever subject you brought up. Asking questions is not a bad thing. Pretending to be something you're not is.

Latest Discussions