Can you do this?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s in the rooting that happens when we rotate the torso.

In our most fundamental method for drilling the punch, we rotate the torso so that at the pinnacle of extension, the flank faces forward. Then rotate to the other side for the other punch, so the other flank faces forward. The punch drives out as we rotate to that position. This gives us full body rotation and engagement for power.

The rotation is driven from the feet, up the legs, hips, and torso. But what the feet are also doing is rooting into the ground. We don’t just stand on the ground; the feet are not simply a platform between yourself and the ground. We apply pressure into the ground and slightly outward as a way of bracing our stance. It is an active way of standing, not just passively resting on the ground. The legs are working in order to make that bracing solid and strong.

Interesting that I learned something similar to that in the TKD I studied. Our concept was the feet were plated flat on the ground, and the power traveled up from the feet/ground, through the torso to the shoulders which were squared, across the shoulder of the trailing foot across to the shoulder of the striking hand, down that to the knuckles of the striking hand. It sounds complicated but after many applications and corrections, it begins to work. Perhaps some gi at work as well, but after a time on begins to feel the greater striking power.

Does that sound in any way similar (if not exact) to what you are describing? It kind of does to me.

Thanks for explaining that.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting that I learned something similar to that in the TKD I studied. Our concept was the feet were plated flat on the ground, and the power traveled up from the feet/ground, through the torso to the shoulders which were squared, across the shoulder of the trailing foot across to the shoulder of the striking hand, down that to the knuckles of the striking hand. It sounds complicated but after many applications and corrections, it begins to work. Perhaps some gi at work as well, but after a time on begins to feel the greater striking power.

Does that sound in any way similar (if not exact) to what you are describing? It kind of does to me.

Thanks for explaining that.
I think that most every system has some version of this. The manifestation may be somewhat different from one system to another maybe some methods get the job done better than others, but they are working on the same concept.

I also think that a lot of people, including instructors, do not understand this very well and do a poor job of teaching it, if at all. So in some schools or lineages it is becoming lost.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s in the rooting that happens when we rotate the torso.

In our most fundamental method for drilling the punch, we rotate the torso so that at the pinnacle of extension, the flank faces forward. Then rotate to the other side for the other punch, so the other flank faces forward. The punch drives out as we rotate to that position. This gives us full body rotation and engagement for power.

The rotation is driven from the feet, up the legs, hips, and torso. But what the feet are also doing is rooting into the ground. We don’t just stand on the ground; the feet are not simply a platform between yourself and the ground. We apply pressure into the ground and slightly outward as a way of bracing our stance. It is an active way of standing, not just passively resting on the ground. The legs are working in order to make that bracing solid and strong.

Think about trying to climb up the inside of a rock crevasse, and you brace one foot against the wall in front of you, and one against the wall behind you. You press with your legs to drive your feet against both walls in order to work your way up.

It is the same idea when we brace against the floor, only the angles are less extreme, instead of directly forward and back, we apply leg pressure forward/down and back/down.

Try standing with your feet together in a neutral standing position. Take one step forward with your right foot, maybe slightly longer that your standard stepping distance. Now try driving your feet into the ground as I described. If you are doing it correctly, you will feel your hamstrings engage in your left leg. Glutes and calves as well.

We keep this rooting braced while we rotate from one side to the other, and back again. And over and over.

The muscles of the back of the legs engage in this process, keeping the root in place during the rotation (the soles of the feet pivot on the ground), which provides for a stable base and adds to the power of the rotation and the punch.

It is something that is much easier to demonstrate in person, than to describe in writing. This is also one of the issues I keep in mind when I discourage people from trying to learn via video or some other method that does not include directly working with a teacher. You could watch someone doing this pivot and you could mimic it pretty easily. Except that what I can virtually guarantee is that you will miss the proper rooting that needs to be done with the pivot. That really needs direct interaction with a teacher in order to know you are getting it right. Without understanding the rooting, the method is much less effective.
I think I get it. There's some isometric tension involved, using the back of the leg to provide tension that's used in the movement. Does that get close to that part of the concept?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I get it. There's some isometric tension involved, using the back of the leg to provide tension that's used in the movement. Does that get close to that part of the concept?
Yes, it is in keeping the integrity of the roof while at the same time being able to pivot and rotate for each punch.

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I’m not deeply familiar with the Hunchback of Notre Dame story and I did a brief internet search and simply scanned a Wikipedia article that gave a brief summary. I found no mention of him being an archer.

I was told by someone in an archery shop that Quasimoto was a Welsh archer. Perhaps he moved to France after his service was ended. Perhaps he was French, and he travelled and spent time in a Welsh bow company. Or perhaps the fellow who told me this was simply mistaken.

I like to think it could be true, though.

I suppose I had always assumed he was French, now that you mention it, because, well, it is set in France! I think I read it in high school, but that was something in excess of 35 years ago.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Historically, he was part of the well known Modo clan. Besides Quasi there was Almost, Partially, Purportedly and the illustrious Somewhatmodo, perhaps the most talented bell ringer of all time. He was the one who coined the phrase "Every time a fighter gets his bell rung an angel gets his wings."

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that most every system has some version of this. The manifestation may be somewhat different from one system to another maybe some methods get the job done better than others, but they are working on the same concept.

I also think that a lot of people, including instructors, do not understand this very well and do a poor job of teaching it, if at all. So in some schools or lineages it is becoming lost.

Unfortunately I think your last paragraph is all to true.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Our concept was the feet were plated flat on the ground,
To be able to generate the maximum amount of power when your feet are on the ground is hard. To be able to generate the maximum amount of power when your feet are moving is even harder.

single static punch < single dynamic punch < multiple dynamic punches

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks. If we ever end up in the same place, I'd love to talk through that when we can use actual legs.
It would be my pleasure.
We are actually in the middle of moving away from the San Francisco area, and will be living in Folsom, near the capital of Sacramento. It is about two hours drive from San Francisco. If you ever find yourself heading in that direction, get in touch.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Historically, he was part of the well known Modo clan. Besides Quasi there was Almost, Partially, Purportedly and the illustrious Somewhatmodo, perhaps the most talented bell ringer of all time. He was the one who coined the phrase "Every time a fighter gets his bell rung an angel gets his wings."
If your write it “Quasi-modo” then you could say it is “sort of” modo...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be my pleasure.
We are actually in the middle of moving away from the San Francisco area, and will be living in Folsom, near the capital of Sacramento. It is about two hours drive from San Francisco. If you ever find yourself heading in that direction, get in touch.
Will definitely do.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To be able to generate the maximum amount of power when your feet are on the ground is hard. To be able to generate the maximum amount of power when your feet are moving is even harder.

single static punch < single dynamic punch < multiple dynamic punches

I like that step. And I like it a lot more than the foolish drop step that was popularized a couple years back.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like that step. And I like it a lot more than the foolish drop step that was popularized a couple years back.
The "stiff" forearm striking (that you punch out without bending your elbow joint by just moving your shoulder joint) is a very interested skill. The advantage are:

1. You can develop knock down power in your "jab".
2. It forces you to add in footwork into your punch.
3. It forces you to put your body behind your punch.
4. It you can punch your opponent once, you can punch him multiple times without pulling your arm back.
5. It meets the principle that you want to take over your opponent's position.
6. You can punch out from any stiff arms guard (such as rhino guard, or Chinese zombie guard).

6 is the most interested for me.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "stiff" forearm striking (that you punch out without bending your elbow joint by just moving your shoulder joint) is a very interested skill. The advantage are:

1. You can develop knock down power in your "jab".
2. It forces you to add in footwork into your punch.
3. It forces you to put your body behind your punch.
4. It you can punch your opponent once, you can punch him multiple times without pulling your arm back.
5. It meets the principle that you want to take over your opponent's position.
6. You can punch out from any stiff arms guard (such as rhino guard, or Chinese zombie guard).

6 is the most interested for me.

There are some advantages (I agree #6 is the most interesting). Don't some of those also apply to other punches, in a different way?
  1. You can have knockdown power in a jab with a flex-arm punch, too.
  2. Each punch forces work in a different area, because of what it doesn't include.
  3. It's possible to use a quick "arm only" punch if you flex the arm (to hold distance, disrupt an attack, distract, etc.).
  4. If you can punch your opponent once, you can probably punch him multiple times without having to step much.
  5. It meets the principle of being able to punch from different ranges, including inside arm's-length.
  6. You can punch out from a flexed-arm guard.
I think this is one of those places where each has advantages, and exploring both gives a chance to decide which advantages are more important. And I still think your #6 is a sweet advantage. The closest thing I use to rhino guard still has the arms slightly bent, for easier transitions, but now I want to play a bit and see what I like about working with it straight-armed.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not even going to try doing it. I can already tell it'll aggravate my left shoulder injury.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We were playing Trivial Pursuit (that dates me!) with the neighbors a long while back. The question was ... Who played Quasimodo in the 1956 movie "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". In answer, our neighbor Debbie said "I have no idea as I've never been a college football fan!" o_O

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We were playing Trivial Pursuit (that dates me!) with the neighbors a long while back. The question was ... Who played Quasimodo in the 1956 movie "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". In answer, our neighbor Debbie said "I have no idea as I've never been a college football fan!" o_O

What a terrific game Trivial Pursuit is. So much fun.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a very good test to see if you will start to have the hunchback problem or not.

Can you do this?

hand-touch-behind-back.jpg

hunchback.png
No but I can do this.
FB_IMG_1560220432557.jpg

Latest Discussions