Can you do this?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a very good test to see if you will start to have the hunchback problem or not.

Can you do this?

hand-touch-behind-back.jpg

hunchback.png

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't, but it's a flexibility issue in my shoulder, so probably not a good indicator. Unless hunching the back is caused by something in the shoulder.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hunchback can be caused by a number of factors not related to shoulder flexibility. I cannot do what the lady is doing due to lack of flexibility but have no concerns of hunchback. There are several stretching exercises one can do to keep the spine straight if there is no genetic abnormalities or damage to the spine causing the condition that place much less strain or stress on the shoulder joint.

Also, the manner the lady is sitting in the photo is bad for her knees.

D

Deleted member 39746

Nope, but if i ever need to someone isn't facing me like a man. :p

I dont have the shoulder flexibility for it.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
There, I fixed it for you ... :)
I wasn't able to do that even when I was young!

Though considering the number of clients I've had in my gym who've come to me at least in part because of hypermobility issues and the descriptions of their problems I'll take my total lack of innate flexibility without complaint!

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seems like that would be harder for larger framed men....and would require shoulder flexibility, not straightness of your back.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When we get older, our bodies will start to shrink. This exercise can be helpful. If we just do it 60 times daily, we can see good result after 2 weeks.

Horizontal exercise:

Vertical exercise:

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since all power are generated from the back to the front, we should train more behind our

- chest (our back) than in front of our chest.
- legs than in front of our legs.

Your thought?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since all power are generated from the back to the front, we should train more behind our

Your thought?
I'm not sure that's accurate. Back vs. front doesn't seem to be consistent even within a single move in many cases. It's more consistent that some moves use more pull and others use more push, but even that will vary by body part (if I pull you to me while standing, I'm still pushing with at least one leg). Punching uses more extension (push) in the arms, but grappling tends to use more flexion (pull) in the arms. On the whole, the back probably is more important than the chest. At the legs, the hamstrings are important to balance the stress around the knees (and hips?), but the quads seem to be called on to do more work...though that latter may just be me not paying attention to demands on the hamstrings.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I tapped an inch away. Damn!

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Your thought?
my thoughts? I think that not all power is generated starting at the back. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Id heard that Quasimodo was an archer by profession. Day in and day out, a professional archer of that era would train with powerful bows, with draw- weight usually well in excess of 100#, often hitting 120#-150#. The hunch-back would develop from over-use on one side, not balancing the training by pulling on both sides. Archaeological evidence of skeletal remains of archers killed in midieval battles supports this, showing a regular pattern of deformities in the bones of the spine and upper carriage.

Quasimodo did not become a hunch-back from age.