Can we call MMA a style?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To learn that tool. The three steps are just getting you to where the technique actually starts.
no three steps are taking me from a safe position to his right, in to range of his other hand or foot, i fight from distance, there o's no point having long arms and legs, if i move in to his range to put a lock on

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know your particular circumstance.
I've actually used some of what I learned from training wrist and arm locks but you have all the answers already. Within your answers you have no reason to know them and have your mind made up. So you are correct they are a waste of time.
I've put a proposition up for discussion, but you are,right, I'm pretty confined by my point, for someone else they may be a,sound techneque, for me that just slow down the attack

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've put a proposition up for discussion, but you are,right, I'm pretty confined by my point, for someone else they may be a,sound techneque, for me that just slow down the attack
Discussion can happen only if the parties are open to and willing to discuss. You being confined by your point makes discussion mute.
However I will throw out:
LEO's use them often. Bouncers/Doormen as well. In some close quarter weapon countering. And that understanding how they work, when they work, where one needs to be for them to work; allows countering and re-countering in terms of timing and positioning not requiring the strength or effort of picking up 300lbs.

Oh...also that they are your attack again shows you don't know the how or understand the when to use them.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your a lock man, i have no doubt that your are not easy to break, but people cant put me in locks as i pull me arm away hard and if they do, i find it easy to just straighten my arm out,
i can lift 300lbs, !,
It is most probably a case of using a specific lock in the wrong situation. A big size/strength difference can be one of those situations with some locks. But in drills, they don’t get to choose the technique.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no three steps are taking me from a safe position to his right, in to range of his other hand or foot, i fight from distance, there o's no point having long arms and legs, if i move in to his range to put a lock on
I don’t know the specific technique, but many techniques in TMA have an artificial entry built in. If you don’t know the situation it’s meant to
create/mimic, it can seem senseless. I cover this a lot with students who have some training or ability coming in. You are there to collect tools to cover more options and situations. Just because the initial presentation doesn’t make sense to you, that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t find the applications useful.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t know the specific technique, but many techniques in TMA have an artificial entry built in. If you don’t know the situation it’s meant to
create/mimic, it can seem senseless. I cover this a lot with students who have some training or ability coming in. You are there to collect tools to cover more options and situations. Just because the initial presentation doesn’t make sense to you, that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t find the applications useful.
we practise it for an hour and a half,I'm clunky to say the least, that will not ever be useful until i can exicuted it with speed and precision, that's at a speed and with a precision that makes him incapable faster than he can jab me in the eye with his free hand, and i can do that with as close to a 100% certainty as its possible to get, that's even allowing that he hasn't got arms like Popeye and just breaks the lock leaving me a sitting duck right in his range

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Applying wrist locks or disarms
Rule #1
Never Attempt to apply a wrist lock or a disarm if the hand or the head is operating properly.

Rule #2
The counter is Always simpler and easier that the lock.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Discussion can happen only if the parties are open to and willing to discuss. You being confined by your point makes discussion mute.
However I will throw out:
LEO's use them often. Bouncers/Doormen as well. In some close quarter weapon countering. And that understanding how they work, when they work, where one needs to be for them to work; allows countering and re-countering in terms of timing and positioning not requiring the strength or effort of picking up 300lbs.

Oh...also that they are your attack again shows you don't know the how or understand the when to use them.
discussions,can only really happen when there are different points of view, other wise on says his piece and the other one agrees, that's more a monologues than a discussion.

that they work for SOME people isn't in debate, I'm sure a 250 lb bouncer can get one on, after he has smashed him into the wall a few times, the question you should a dress is could a 140 lb male put on one the 250 lb weight training steroid using bouncer, if the answer is probably not, and they are only useful if you are fighting weak people, then they are at best suspect

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
discussions,can only really happen when there are different points of view, other wise on says his piece and the other one agrees, that's more a monologues than a discussion.

that they work for SOME people isn't in debate, I'm sure a 250 lb bouncer can get one on, after he has smashed him into the wall a few times, the question you should a dress is could a 140 lb male put on one the 250 lb weight training steroid using bouncer, if the answer is probably not, and they are only useful if you are fighting weak people, then they are at best suspect
I'm a pretty small guy. I make a lot of locks work, because I know when NOT to use them.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm a pretty small guy. I make a lot of locks work, because I know when NOT to use them.
but i say again, your a master of locks, you've spent a life time on them, I've spent an hour and a half, well ten minutes really, before i decieded they aren't for me, but the question remains, if dealing with an attacker, why would i even try it, if i can from the same position smash hos knee so he can no longer stand, , that's a 100% techneque

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but i say again, your a master of locks, you've spent a life time on them, I've spent an hour and a half, well ten minutes really, before i decieded they aren't for me,
But if I stopped after an hour and a half (much less 10 minutes), I'd be awful at them. No technique is independently dependable after 10 minutes (absent some individual ability that manifests in that technique).

but the question remains, if dealing with an attacker, why would i even try it, if i can from the same position smash hos knee so he can no longer stand, , that's a 100% techneque
Because it's a useful option in some situations. Taking out a knee isn't nearly so foolproof as your statement suggests.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But if I stopped after an hour and a half (much less 10 minutes), I'd be awful at them. No technique is independently dependable after 10 minutes (absent some individual ability that manifests in that technique).

Because it's a useful option in some situations. Taking out a knee isn't nearly so foolproof as your statement suggests.
if I've got a clean shot at a knee, the guy is going over,that's pretty well guaranteed, locks are a small part of the sylibus, we may get back to them in a month or two,,,, , as its of no benefit me spending an hour or so practising them , i decided to bother at all and practise something else that was of benefit . My partner got very upset, he was expecting to be wrist locked but kept ending up on the floor,

to paraphrase Bruce lee, id rather have one techneque that I'm good at than a,1000 I'm poor at

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I've got a clean shot at a knee, the guy is going over,that's pretty well guaranteed, locks are a small part of the sylibus, we may get back to them in a month or two,,,, , as its of no benefit me spending an hour or so practising them , i decided to bother at all and practise something else that was of benefit . My partner got very upset, he was expecting to be wrist locked but kept ending up on the floor,

to paraphrase Bruce lee, id rather have one techneque that I'm good at than a,1000 I'm poor at
About the knee, a few comments. First, that's an "IF". Second, an assured takedown assumes he doesn't do anything to spoil it (again, that issue of a resisting opponent). To take the extreme point, there are styles that particularly train to defend against that, either by removing weight from the leg, or by entirely moving the leg out of the way of the strike. And if your balance is disrupted even a little, there's no guarantee that strike will take him down, even if it lands. Nothing is 100%. Ever.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
A monologue is something stated by one person. A discussion can be had without having a different point of view went one is lacking knowledge or understanding when another is open to gaining more in-depth perspective.

After only spending 10 minutes. You have the answers.
rabbit-pancake.jpg

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
but i say again, your a master of locks, you've spent a life time on them, I've spent an hour and a half, well ten minutes really, before i decieded they aren't for me, but the question remains, if dealing with an attacker, why would i even try it, if i can from the same position smash hos knee so he can no longer stand, , that's a 100% techneque
What if you're fighting someone with prosthetic legs, smashing their knee may not work. There legs also might be too dangerous for you to stay and try to strike them. so you go around and put a lock, they can't use their fancy shmancy legs, and are stuck.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is most probably a case of using a specific lock in the wrong situation. A big size/strength difference can be one of those situations with some locks. But in drills, they don’t get to choose the technique.

They are legitimately low percentage.

Especially if the other guy wants to throw bombs.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What if you're fighting someone with prosthetic legs, smashing their knee may not work. There legs also might be too dangerous for you to stay and try to strike them. so you go around and put a lock, they can't use their fancy shmancy legs, and are stuck.
people with fake legs are remarkably easy to knock over sometimes they fall over in a mild wind

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are legitimately low percentage.

Especially if the other guy wants to throw bombs.
While he's doing that, it's one of those wrong situations I'm talking about. They have their place, and are useful there. I prefer not to stand in range and tie up my second hand in most situations. I don't really like getting punched in the face. Most standing locks I know should be used with a bit of an "arm drag" element, too, to gain more control.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
people with fake legs are remarkably easy to knock over sometimes they fall over in a mild wind
Artificial legs are neither terribly dangerous to kick, nor are their users quite that easy to knock over of they've been using them a while.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Artificial legs are neither terribly dangerous to kick, nor are their users quite that easy to knock over of they've been using them a while.
my friend with a fake leg, falls over if he stands on a crisp packet

Latest Discussions