Can i do multiple martial arts at the same time???? Please help

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For years, before the interwebs were a thing, people used to think that searing meat first was the best way to cook a steak... it seals in the juices. This was first written in a cookbook by a guy in the mid-1800s, and no one questioned it. It quickly become common knowledge... something that was obviously true, and in just about every cookbook after that, for about 150 years, people would repeat this without any critical evaluation.

Except that it isn't true at all.
Except that it turns out that it still actually is one of the best, perhaps THE BEST, method for cooking a steak.

It's like "chi." The methods work but the mechanism behind why they work isn't what was once believed.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Except that it turns out that it still actually is one of the best, perhaps THE BEST, method for cooking a steak.

It's like "chi." The methods work but the mechanism behind why they work isn't what was once believed.
Whew... the good news is that the point missed you... went right by you without even a glancing blow.

And if you read any of the subsequent posts, you'd see that searing the meat before you cook "to seal in the juices" isn't any better, much less the best (sorry, "THE BEST") way to cook a steak. It's fine... decent.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whew... the good news is that the point missed you... went right by you without even a glancing blow.

And if you read any of the subsequent posts, you'd see that searing the meat before you cook "to seal in the juices" isn't any better, much less the best (sorry, "THE BEST") way to cook a steak. It's fine... decent.
No. You missed the point. The point being that searing first is still one considered the best way to prepare steak by many chefs despite the fact that everyone knows that it doesn't "seal in the juices." The point being that just because the reason we used to think it works is wrong doesn't mean that it doesn't work. We had the mechanics wrong but not the result. Same thing may apply to martial arts training, as I illustrated with the reference to "chi."

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. You missed the point. The point being that searing first is still one considered the best way to prepare steak by many chefs despite the fact that everyone knows that it doesn't "seal in the juices." The point being that just because the reason we used to think it works is wrong doesn't mean that it doesn't work. We had the mechanics wrong but not the result. Same thing may apply to martial arts training, as I illustrated with the reference to "chi."
My favorite is mesquite charcoal at volcanic temperature, 20 oz.grass fed ribeye rubbed with fresh crushed garlic, black pepper, and a sprinkle of soy sauce. Medium rare with a nice char and the fat partially rendered. Mmm. Served up with a broccoli raab and jasmine rice.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But it's actually not. If you order a steak prepared in a top steakhouse, it is as likely to be cooked sous vide and then reverse seared as otherwise. Prime rib is going to be reverse seared for sure. You're just factually incorrect.

And the links you provided were not even all to do with steaks. You're a mess, man.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But it's actually not. If you order a steak prepared in a top steakhouse, it is as likely to be cooked sous vide and then reverse seared as otherwise.
No, it's not. For some reason, you assume that I've not been to "top steak houses." Last one I dined in was in D.C. Darned expensive and I'm glad the government footed the bill for me, but I was there on for the Pentagon's business so they can jolly well buy my food...

Prime rib is going to be reverse seared for sure. You're just factually incorrect.

And the links you provided were not even all to do with steaks. You're a mess, man.
Again, you are missing the point. The point is that searing is still considered by many chefs to be one of the best (perhaps the best)way to prepare a steak, despite the fact that everyone knows that it doesn't "seal in the juices." The point being that just because the reason we used to think it works is wrong doesn't mean that it doesn't work. We had the mechanics wrong but not the result. Same thing may apply to martial arts training, as I illustrated with the reference to "chi."

Now, if you want to keep arguing about steak houses or whatever, that's fine, but everyone reading will know you're dodging the point.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My favorite is mesquite charcoal at volcanic temperature, 20 oz.grass fed ribeye rubbed with fresh crushed garlic, black pepper, and a sprinkle of soy sauce. Medium rare with a nice char and the fat partially rendered. Mmm. Served up with a broccoli raab and jasmine rice.
Sounds delicious. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't like mesquite very much. Too strong for me. I like hickory for beef, and apple or cherry for pork, if I'm grilling. Let the Texans keep their mesquite.

Inside, I like to sear in a carbon steel or cast iron skillet, and then baste it with a healthy (i.e., unhealthy) amount of garlic butter.

Whether I sear it first or at the end really depends on how thick the cut is. For a really thick cut, or something really lean (like a filet), I will usually sous vide it and then sear it quickly at the end.

Mmm... steak. Now, I think I need to hit the butcher up this afternoon.

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello there, i know this question is asked a lot, but i feel like i have a more specific version... kind of....

Basically, i have been doing karate for a while now, only a year or so, and im just over half way to black belt. I love kicking as well, so thought taekwondo might be a good option. Although, because some moves in karate and taekwondo are similar but not quite the same, would this interfere with my karate training? For example, the roundhouse kick or front kick are slightly different in these two styles i believe, so it may be a problem...

Any feedback is much appreciated as this is so frustrating to deal with...

Thanks a lot everyone :D
It depends on why you are training in a method,
and what level of rank you aspire to.
When you change fundamentals you change the art.
Why techniques are executed as they are within a
style is not random or arbitrary , if you do not
have strong fundamentals within a style you will
never be as good as you could have been in that
style, if you purposely chose not to be as good
as you can be within a style, you should never teach
that style , nor aspire to high rank within it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No, it's not. For some reason, you assume that I've not been to "top steak houses." Last one I dined in was in D.C. Darned expensive and I'm glad the government footed the bill for me, but I was there on for the Pentagon's business so they can jolly well buy my food...

I don't have any idea what steak houses you've been to. Have you been to all of them? I'm trying to share factual information with you that has nothing to do with whether you have eaten in a restaurant or not.

Again, you are missing the point. The point is that searing is still considered by many chefs to be one of the best (perhaps the best)way to prepare a steak, despite the fact that everyone knows that it doesn't "seal in the juices." The point being that just because the reason we used to think it works is wrong doesn't mean that it doesn't work. We had the mechanics wrong but not the result. Same thing may apply to martial arts training, as I illustrated with the reference to "chi."

Now, if you want to keep arguing about steak houses or whatever, that's fine, but everyone reading will know you're dodging the point.
LOL. I'm genuinely at a loss. Searing the steak is mechanically just fine. But is it "THE BEST?" No. It's one good way to cook a steak (depending on how thick the steak is cut). Not a very good way to cook a prime rib roast. And definitely the best way to cook a braised meat, like a post roast, ox tail, or something like that. You just don't want to listen to someone who clearly knows more than you, and you're trying to peddle misinformation, which isn't okay.

Do you think I have a problem with searing steaks? If you can stop reacting emotionally and go back and read my very first posts to Gerry, you might actually get it. I'm willing to forget your last three or four silly posts and start over, if you like.

Regarding chi, I don't know what you think I'm ignoring. I don't have an opinion about chi at all, one way or the other. I do have an opinion about conventional wisdom, specific to @Instructor 's post where he mentioned something he read in a book. My example was, in 1850 a guy said you have to sear meat to "seal in the juices." And not only is that not true, it turns out that searing meat before you cook it is no better than searing meat AFTER you cook it... and sometimes it's worse.

Edit: To add further context, the above is relevant because there is conventional wisdom that you can't learn two things at once. Like the myth that searing meat seals in the juice, without actual data, folks should approach them with a health about of skepticism, because they may be wrong... or at least, not completely right.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't like mesquite very much. Too strong for me. I like hickory for beef, and apple or cherry for pork, if I'm grilling. Let the Texans keep their mesquite.

Inside, I like to sear in a carbon steel or cast iron skillet, and then baste it with a healthy (i.e., unhealthy) amount of garlic butter.

Whether I sear it first or at the end really depends on how thick the cut is. For a really thick cut, or something really lean (like a filet), I will usually sous vide it and then sear it quickly at the end.

Mmm... steak. Now, I think I need to hit the butcher up this afternoon.
I like Cote de Boeuf best if I can get proper cuts. Most pans cannot handle the size. I’m a big fan of using different wood for the flavor. For these big cuts I like mesquite but hickory is its equal, just lighter on the flavor profile. I like to mix it up. I like tan oak for tri tip.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have any idea what steak houses you've been to. Have you been to all of them? I'm trying to share factual information with you that has nothing to do with whether you have eaten in a restaurant or not.

LOL. I'm genuinely at a loss. Searing the steak is mechanically just fine. But is it "THE BEST?" No. It's one good way to cook a steak (depending on how thick the steak is cut). Not a very good way to cook a prime rib roast. And definitely the best way to cook a braised meat, like a post roast, ox tail, or something like that. You just don't want to listen to someone who clearly knows more than you, and you're trying to peddle misinformation, which isn't okay.

Do you think I have a problem with searing steaks? If you can stop reacting emotionally and go back and read my very first posts to Gerry, you might actually get it. I'm willing to forget your last three or four silly posts and start over, if you like.

Regarding chi, I don't know what you think I'm ignoring. I don't have an opinion about chi at all, one way or the other. I do have an opinion about conventional wisdom, specific to @Instructor 's post where he mentioned something he read in a book. My example was, in 1850 a guy said you have to sear meat to "seal in the juices." And not only is that not true, it turns out that searing meat before you cook it is no better than searing meat AFTER you cook it... and sometimes it's worse.
Hmm. Im going to put this to a taste test with my buddies…

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Put which to the test? I'm intrigued. We do cooking experiments pretty often. Blind taste tests are fairly common in my house. :D
The sear. Before and after. I never cook steak indoors, but I’m going to try it. My buddy tried that water bag method of heating to temp and then searing, I hated it. It was tender but just not right somehow.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I like Cote de Boeuf best if I can get proper cuts. Most pans cannot handle the size.

Ribeyes are very forgiving, with all that fat. If you get them cut thick, or want to cook them bone on, they do GREAT with sous vide with a reverse sear, but you have to cook them high enough to render the fat. I picked up a 12" carbon steel pan that is fantastic for $40 on Amazon. I use it all the time, not just for steak, but it does really good with steak.

I’m a big fan of using different wood for the flavor. For these big cuts I like mesquite but hickory is its equal, just lighter on the flavor profile. I like to mix it up. I like tan oak for tri tip.
Sounds like you're more up on that than me. I mostly just don't like Mesquite. :)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

No. I think that you missed my point. To reiterate, just because "we" had the reasons wrong why something worked doesn't mean that it didn't work. No, searing a steak does not "seal in the juices." But it still can make a mighty tasty steak. It just does so for different reasons than was once believed. Now we understand why better.

Same thing goes for martial arts, such as learning two arts at once or why someone might or might not want to do so. The belief of why a result was achieved might be wrong but the result is still there. That's the point.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The sear. Before and after. I never cook steak indoors, but I’m going to try it. My buddy tried that water bag method of heating to temp and then searing, I hated it. It was tender but just not right somehow.
Sous vide, like any other cooking method, can be done right or wrong. Steaks cooked at the right temp for the right amount of time, seasoned at the right time, and finished well. All that matter. I mentioned above, it took a while for me to realize that what was wrong is I was cooking them to 129F in the bath, which didn't render the fat.

If you cook it indoors, I hope you have a killer vent hood, or you'll set your smoke alarms off and freak the dogs out. Not that I know that from personal experience. :D

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 1648578260259.png
    1648578260259.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 28

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Alright. I'll try to make this very clear.

No. I think that you missed my point.
Fine. I'll pay particular attention.

To reiterate, just because "we" had the reasons wrong why something worked doesn't mean that it didn't work.
This is fine. The only person talking about something not working is you.

No, searing a steak does not "seal in the juices."
Yes.
But it still can make a mighty tasty steak.
Yes. I appreciate your much more qualified language now. You CAN make a mighty tasty steak this way. For sure.

The conventional wisdom, however, was not specific to steak. It was about searing meats. And searing some cuts of meat, like a standing rib roast, up front, is not the best way to cook the meat. And, even specific to steak, it's not necessarily the best way. Not even a better way. And in some cases, not as good as other ways. But for sure, it CAN make a mighty tasty steak.

It just does so for different reasons than was once believed. Now we understand why better.
Ah, here we go. We do understand better HOW it works, which is WHY we know it's folk wisdom that isn't really true. 20 years ago, if you cooked a steak at low temp and seared it at the end, people (I'm guessing people like you) would insist you were doing it wrong. We know better now, because we better understand the techniques and some folks have challenged the conventional wisdom to get some objective data.

Same thing goes for martial arts, such as learning two arts at once or why someone might or might not want to do so. The belief of why a result was achieved might be wrong but the result is still there. That's the point.
Well, except that the examples suggest the exact opposite of what you're saying. It's bizarre.

Latest Discussions