Buying a gun for the first time?

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob,

In Texas you don't need no stink'en permit to browse, buy, or even keep your hogleg in the car.

And as for test firing, I sure wish gun shops allowed that. Just walk right out into the street, pick a knot on a near by tree, and let go a few rounds. Would be fun but in reality a whole bunch of LEOs would decend upon you like feas on a camel.

But, if you go to a indoor range where they sell guns, yes many will let you 'try before you buy'.

Deaf

Correct, there are some stipulations to the car portion though unless you have a CCP.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first rule, as I learned is "Treat all firearms as if they are loaded at all times."

Following this rule alone would prevent many firearm mistakes. Had that genius DEA agent obeyed that rule -- he'd never have shot himself.

The moment it takes to automatically confirm a firearm's status -- loaded or unloaded, slide or chamber open or not -- is well worth the safety you create. Yes, if you're working in a closed environment with total control over the weapon, you don't have to be as paranoid... but if you continue to treat the gun as loaded, you should automatically pull the rest of the rules into your actions, too.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The first thing you do when taking control of a weapon, is open the action and visually verify if it is loaded or not.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll be asking lots of questions later on about instruction.

I figure, "guns for dummys" and Shatner's paintball dvd's probably aren't quite enough. ;)

Seriously though, I appreciate all the advice.

haha Where can I get the Shatner paintball dvd?

David

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Correct, there are some stipulations to the car portion though unless you have a CCP.

Sort of true. You have to conceal the hogleg in the car, but then if you have a CHL, you would still have to conceal it.

Bob,

Thought I might mention here in Texas you an also keep an 'illegal knife' and a 'illegal club' in your car (as long as it's concealed.) Cool thing is the 'illegal knife' is any knife with a blade of 5.5 inches or more, or a double edged blade, dirk, dagger, sword ... yea a Hattori Hanzo! I've always wanted one like Betrix had. You can even pack a spear, like in 'The 300', if you can figure out a way to conceal it.

Just make sure you are not a known member of a gang (not including the Boy Scouts.) If you are a member of a known gang, then no hogleg for you (but you still can pack a Hanzo blade!)

Sometimes our legislature guys don't read their laws so well before they vote! Strange considering most of 'em are lawyers.

Welcome to Texas when you come! We have had many a tall Texan down here like Audie Murphy, Gen. Chennault (Flying Tigers), Adm. Nimitz. And infamous ones like John Wesly Hardin and BIll Longley (and Bonnie & Clide to!)

Why even Carl Rove is a Texan (we have some pretty crafty Texans, I tell you!)

And of course.... Deaf Smith was a mighty Texan!

Deaf

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For a pistol, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 are all about the same in terms of effectiveness...I recommend the 9mm because of cheaper ammo, higher capacity, and less muzzle flip than the larger ones.

What KT says about the 9 mm is true. The ammo is cheaper, and for a beginner being able to place the barrel back on target for the second shot is an import point to consider. After you have hours of shooting and feel more confortable you can get in to the debates of the effectiveness if which one will do the best job with you. (* i.e. excuses to go to teh gun range and shoot different caliber guns, and then even buy some. ;) :D *)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, funny that eh? ;)

Researching the Constitution, and history, as well as some of the discussions I've had, have changed my opinions a bit, and opened my eyes to some possibilities I've been admittedly blind to.

But I'm starting from zero here on a lot of this.

Bob,

You are not the first person who did research to come to their own point of view and make a decision that might have disagreed with previous comments or decisions.

Good Luck

Latest Discussions