Buy your way to Heaven! The Catholic Church brings back indulgences!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/02...ven-the-catholic-church-brings-back-indulgen/

These days, you can get a deal on anything. Even salvation! Pope Benedict has announced that his faithful can once again pay the Catholic Church to ease their way through Purgatory and into the Gates of Heaven.

Never mind that Martin Luther fired up the Reformation because of them: Plenary Indulgences are back.

The New York Times reports that even though the church officially broke with the age-old practice -- you do something good, and the Church will help absolve you -- in 1960, the Pope has quietly reintroduced it. The Catholic Church had technically banned the practice of selling indulgences as long ago as 1567.

As the Times points out, a monetary donation wouldn't go amiss toward earning an indulgence. It writes, "charitable contributions, combined with other acts, can help you earn one." You can even buy indulgences this way for loved ones who are already dead, greasing their way to Heaven by doing something for the Church here on Earth.

This is the ultimate retirement plan...

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
haha ridiculous.
Its not enough to fleece them while alive, guilt trip them over dead relatives aswell.

Maybe they will need a receipt at the pearly gates :)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Send your money to Jesus Christ
Mail order your eternal life
Bend your mind, make you turn around
Don't believe it when they tell you
That eveng god needs money
God needs money from you

-Nevermore, Godmoney

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I thought if you accept Jesus as your lord and Savior and believe he died
For our sins you go to heaven.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Confess on the Octave of Easter and all your sins get wiped away, no charge. ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know this is an open forum, but you guys are besmirching my religion.

I think you should all send me twenty dollars.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, revenue is down, churches are closing due to lack of membership, less old people are snuffing it and leaving it all to the Church.

Like any other business, they gotta make up for the shortfall somehow, so now you can once again 'buy' your way into 'Heaven'.

Hey, how else are they going to afford ball gags for the annual Altar Boy Orgy?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, revenue is down, churches are closing due to lack of membership, less old people are snuffing it and leaving it all to the Church.

Like any other business, they gotta make up for the shortfall somehow, so now you can once again 'buy' your way into 'Heaven'.

Hey, how else are they going to afford ball gags for the annual Altar Boy Orgy?

Hmmm.
Only in enlightened western countries...(and in the US particularly here in the South, the only businesses that are striving are check cashing/car title loans and churches, go figure...)

Poor Benedict....</sarcasm>

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank God for all the non-Catholics to tell me what's wrong with Catholicism.

When Martin Luther pointed it out he was still a staunch Catholic.
Or is he too German for you?
(dangit, so is the incumbent...)

But rest assure, Catholicism isn't the only game in town that sells salvation for cold hard cash. We got about 2 pages in the phone book worth of clubs similar. Did I say club, I mean church, of course!

(I'd never mock a person's personal believes - within reason, naturally - but organized religion is a racket.)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank God for all the non-Catholics to tell me what's wrong with Catholicism.

Do you extend the same standard to all religions?

I think the Catholics should start a mutual fund that invests in the afterlife. Buy yourself eternal bliss on a sliding scale where some forms of bliss are better then others.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
why do any of you care if you dont believe in religion or what ever why do you care how a Catholic spends their money?
Or what they believe?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
why do any of you care if you dont believe in religion or what ever why do you care how a Catholic spends their money?
Or what they believe?

The same as any other con game in town.
I don't care how anybody spends their money, as long as they pay their due bills and feed their kids and animals.

The point of the original post, in the middle of the 15th century some guy found it absurd that the church sold salvation to the highest bidder.

But these days you don't have to form a new religion, you can just switch denominations.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well thats fine you feel its a con game but there some really unplesant posts ball gags and rackets really? Why do you care? Its not your money what would you rather they buy?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well thats fine you feel its a con game but there some really unplesant posts ball gags and rackets really? Why do you care? Its not your money what would you rather they buy?

I don't care what they buy.

but if anybody other than the church would be offering said 'deal' you in your capacity as LEO would be involved. :)

Ease up.
The con is legal. I am just amazed/amused that the same con from 500 years ago is resurrected. You gotta admit, that's bold! :D

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
My step-father and his family are Catholic and they were thinking that this was something bygone in the time of Luther as well. I don't bad mouth anyone's personal beliefs, but this kinda gives the church a black eye. I know the Catholic church has stated a desire to convert people to the church. A policy such as this does not help in that cause.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Its not your money what would you rather they buy?

Well, at the risk of sounding.. rational, maybe food/clothing for someone not so well off. You know charity!
Erm.. What would Jesus do?

Oh, and thanks for the negative rep Bill, is your set big enough to hand it out to the person who made the ball gag comment..

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, at the risk of sounding.. rational, maybe food/clothing for someone not so well off. You know charity!
Erm.. What would Jesus do?
Well.... Erm... Churches use alot of money for that very thing you know charity. Im not Catholic but I also could care less what they spend there money on. Just like if it were a Muslim, Budist, or Jewish program. Its between the person their Church and their god.

Latest Discussions