Business Start Up Help - Texas

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking for info on starting a business in Texas.

I get that I need a sales tax permit, EIN and to set up a business form.
I'll probably go LLC or S Corp.

I tried the government websites....I went in circles a bit. Half the links seem to want me to have already picked a spot which I've obviously not done.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, why in the HELL do you want to go there?!
:lfao:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Despite my disagreements with some of the politics, I'm in agreement with more than I disagree with.
Business climate is good. It's a growth state. Taxes are low. Home prices are very favorable, especially now. We're looking at a 2000 sqr ft new build, on 1 acre for $90k. That's $30k less than in WNY which is economically a mess.
It snows a lot less. I refer warm over cold.
Job op for my wife possibly.

I'm undecided on if I'm opening a studio (photo) or a tea shop. The later has a much lower start up need ($20k vs $75k) but requires more labor and more employees to operate (needs to run 11am-11pm 7 days)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AC is good. I dont have that in ny. apartment cant handle it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL there are alternatives! But TEXAS....

I hear ya, heat with no A/C, no fun...

I just find that down south they go overboard with the A/C....one should not need a fur coat to go shopping when it's 90+ degrees outside!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Better overboard than the other way. (Underboard? LOL)

I remember working in a room at the University of Arizona that would not get below 80 degrees. Naturally they aren't going to give temps the most luxurious places but I could not get out of there fast enough.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Better overboard than the other way. (Underboard? LOL)

I remember working in a room at the University of Arizona that would not get below 80 degrees. Naturally they aren't going to give temps the most luxurious places but I could not get out of there fast enough.

80 is a bit high....
I like it around 72....cool but not freezing.
Around here I have contemplated throwing a jacket in the care for when I have to go shopping in the back of the store where the milk and junk is in open cooled shelves....I don't think they are much above 60 back there!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's been 90-95 most days the last 3 weeks in my apartment. 16th century wiring precludes the use of modern cooling most of the time (unless I sit in the dark and quiet). It's seriously put me behind schedule on some web projects and photo editing.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's been 90-95 most days the last 3 weeks in my apartment. 16th century wiring precludes the use of modern cooling most of the time (unless I sit in the dark and quiet). It's seriously put me behind schedule on some web projects and photo editing.

Yukkkk....

Sorry :(

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also keep in mind the heat thrown off by an iMac is quite toasty....175-180' on the power supply, 125' on the front of the screen. Got 1 fans blowing on it to keep it running.
Keeps my heating bill down in the winter though, LOL!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also keep in mind the heat thrown off by an iMac is quite toasty....175-180' on the power supply, 125' on the front of the screen. Got 1 fans blowing on it to keep it running.
Keeps my heating bill down in the winter though, LOL!

I'll remember that for when I finally get a Mac :D :D

Have you tried the Better Business Bureau in places you'd like to live? Unfortunately my photog buddy couldn't stay in Austin after his contract expired or I'd introduce you guys :(

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
iMacs run hot. You can cook on the top of mine. The "Geniuses" say that's normal. I don't think they know much about electronics and heat. A $8 table fan blowing on the back makes a huge difference when gaming or doing heavy editing.

Haven't tried the BBB. Looking on Amazon for a start up guide. I know the basics, need the Texas specifics.

Studio, tea shop or noodle shop. LOL

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
get a non apple laptop and work on the fire escape!

Seems like it would be much cooler down south! :D

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iMacs run hot. You can cook on the top of mine. The "Geniuses" say that's normal. I don't think they know much about electronics and heat. A $8 table fan blowing on the back makes a huge difference when gaming or doing heavy editing.

Haven't tried the BBB. Looking on Amazon for a start up guide. I know the basics, need the Texas specifics.

Studio, tea shop or noodle shop. LOL
Why not a photo studio with an attached tea and noodle shop?

And no -- I'm not merely being a smart ***. Seems like, with some planning, the places could go hand in hand pretty well. The tea/noodle shop gives people somewhere to wait for their appointment, and probably supports the other.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why not a photo studio with an attached tea and noodle shop?

And no -- I'm not merely being a smart ***. Seems like, with some planning, the places could go hand in hand pretty well. The tea/noodle shop gives people somewhere to wait for their appointment, and probably supports the other.

Bob's Cuppa, Noodles and portraits?

Latest Discussions