Bully beat down

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this show? I watched it for the first night tonight basically MMA artist beat up bullies. LOL at first i didn't know how to feel then i watched these loud mouth bullies talk crap and get beat up hilarious.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah um... I dunno what to think of it.

Is it appropriate? *shrug*

Is it funny? Yeah kinda. LOL.

OP
C

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
That was my first thought so inappropriate but yeah its kinda funny.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That has to suck if the Bully wins. Or decides not to compete and hits Jason with a brick or something. Going on the street challanging people is not smart.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
sounds like the kinda show that if I were the producer who was constantly harassed by bullies during my growing years of school would want to make just to get that self-satisfactory feeling of seeing present-day pseudo-antagonist get beaten up like I wished mine were when I was a kid... :rolleyes:

Get over it dude. Bullies are what makes you toughen up or just the type of guy that gets walked over throughout their lives.

Reaction score
sounds like the kinda show that if I were the producer who was constantly harassed by bullies during my growing years of school would want to make just to get that self-satisfactory feeling of seeing present-day pseudo-antagonist get beaten up like I wished mine were when I was a kid... :rolleyes:

Or he could have realized that the anti-bully fantasy is pretty common among viewers. From being on forums, I've realized that the amount of people who started up martial arts in order to confront bullies is quite large.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't seen it, but if I'm understanding your description--a trained MMA fighter goes out and challenges bullies, then beats them up--I think it's disgusting and a disgrace to MA.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay. Here's the thing. I watched it and it was a little cheesy. There are things I do like about the show, though.

First, the format is basically like this. A guy sends them a tape. He's got a problem with a bully. In the case of the show on the other day it was a guy who gets bullied by his younger brother (who was MUCH bigger).

Jason calls the guy out and explains the rules of the game, asking him if he's interested, then the guy trains for a week with a pro-trainer to get ready for the fight.

The fight is two rounds with a pro-MMA guy. The first round is all grappling. The pot starts at $5k and for every tap the bully surrenders $1k to the bullied person. Round 2 is kickboxing, no grappling. If the bully is knocked out or taps or is unable to continue, he gives the bullied guy all $5k.

In the show I watched, the bully ended up winning $2000 and gave $8k to his brother, the guy he bullied.

All in all, it was a funny little show. Very much in line with what you'd expect from MTV. Jason Miller was annoying and the format was cheesy, but I did kind of like the format of the "fight" at the end of the show. I set it up for TiVo and will watch a couple of episodes to see if it gets better or worse.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay.
First, the format is basically like this. A guy sends them a tape. He's got a problem with a bully. In the case of the show on the other day it was a guy who gets bullied by his younger brother (who was MUCH bigger).
<snip>
Jason calls the guy out and explains the rules of the game, asking him if he's interested, then the guy trains for a week with a pro-trainer to get ready for the fight. <snip>

I retract my previous statement; the show sounds cheesy, but not offensive--my impression from the OP was that fighters were just going out and knocking bullies around with no prep and no rules.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watched it and it seems to me that we are trading one bully for another.

Do i like bullies? No, but why become what you cannot stand?

LordOfWu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of the show until this thread, went out and did a quick search on it...I'll dvr it and check it out. It sounds interesting, and nothing like what I originally thought when it was described. It looks like a combination of a tough man/bully thing, give them a shot to see if they are as tough as they think they are (which against a trained professional fighter...right).

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of the show until this thread, went out and did a quick search on it...I'll dvr it and check it out. It sounds interesting, and nothing like what I originally thought when it was described. It looks like a combination of a tough man/bully thing, give them a shot to see if they are as tough as they think they are (which against a trained professional fighter...right).
That's very much how it pans out.

bigdano

White Belt
Reaction score
*** SPOILER ALERT ***
If you did not see the episode airing on 4/26 and plan on seeing it in the future, do not read this post...

Did anyone catch this past week's episode? It was sad to see the bully win the money, but at least it shows that the show keeps it honest. That guy was tough, and took the beating well. Hopefully, though, he learns to treat people with more respect

bigdano

White Belt
Reaction score
On the issue of the MMA fighter becoming a bully himself...

While that is a real concern, and I understand other people's concern on that issue: I think whether or not the show is a positive force should be judged on how well it teaches bullies to treat people with respect and stop pushing people around. The show never shows what happens after they leave the match, maybe they should do a follow-up a few months later to see if that person is still bullying people around.

And the bullies enter the fight willingly. They are told they are going against a pro fighter.

Like I said, I understand the concern, but they are all adults and can make decisions for themselves.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw a couple episodes on the recommendation of this thread. It's funny at times, Mayhem's a character. Though I don't think they are doing anyone a service hanging out beatdowns. Humility does not come from a fist.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like Mayhem...been listening to him on occasion when he visits the Jason Ellis show on Faction...

This...is just awesomeness though. lol

[yt]JAJMmD5wXtw[/yt]

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I finally saw this show. Pretty corny, but it does provide a bit of a laugh. I'm with bigdano in that they shoud do an occasional follow-up episode. There's no guarantee that a "beatdown" will keep a bully from going after another victim.

On another note, could you imagine if they started using any of the top guys? What if they threw that heavyweight bully from a few episodes ago in the ring with Fedor? LOL

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I always wondered how come the Bully just does not pull out a bat or a gun and take out Mayhem and then go and keep bullying?

I would love to see a Bully win and just smack talk back to Mayhem and keep picking on the victims.

I mean if someone comes to you and starts challanging you usually in my neck of the woods people get a brick to the head.

Speaking of my area if you like Reggae and Hip hop I met this guy when I was eating Pizza today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_9csjIIkFM&feature=related

Latest Discussions