Bujinkan Moving To Become A Religious Organization in Japan.

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Entrepreneurs tend to be very driven people, that want to get things done for themselves. . .

Having set up, and run for nearly a year, the protective team for the corporate CEO (and family) of a MLM company. . .

Aye lass, ye've the right o' that!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stephen thanks for your comment and I think you will find most people on MartialTalk to be very reasonable and in the pursuit of friend dialogue.
icon14.gif

Now back to the topic.
icon6.gif

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In reading over the discussion and the links provided, I have to agree that it seems a reasonable plan. It certainly doesn't take away from my desire to study the art as I get settled back in. Of course, I am not what I consider a person of strong religious faith.

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually, this would work out for me quite well. When my wife tried to get my lazy butt out of bed on Sunday I could open an eye, say I'd been to church 2-3 times already that week, and go back to sleep.

It's a win-win!

Matt

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a pretty strong opinion on this. Still do but I'm holding on to my thoughts to see what comes of it.
It does seems a little sketchy on the top layer from someone on the outside.
However I am relocating back to my home city where my old Shidoshi is, thus I would consider looking at training there again to some degree. This will depend alot on the outcome.

bufuikan

White Belt
Reaction score
I suggest before anyone pass a judgment or an opinion to first get all the facts regarding this topic.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay the Bujinkan under Hatsumi Sensei is or will be applying it appears to become a religious organization in Japan. Now in Budo Taijutsu as in many Japanese systems there has always been and element of Shintoism because of the Kamidana, etc. So from my understanding in order to maintain the Bujinkan as a organization after Hatsumi's passing he is or will be changing it to a religious organization so that the Government does not seize all the assets.

For further details please see: http://www.kutaki.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4353&forum=10 (especially the first post by Shawn)

This is Hatsumi Sensei's organization and as the Soke of it he is attempting to insure it's long term survival. Other systems in Japan like Shorinji Kemp and I believe several Koryu systems like Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu also have Shrines and I belive are or may be also classified as a religious organization. So it is certainly not unheard of in Japan.

Brian et al,

The issue of religion is not of any concern for me. Not because I am not training in the art, but it is nothing for me to be concerned about.

My confusion is the following and maybe it is obvious to those on the inside, so I apologize if it is.

When Hatsumi Sensei retires does he not name a new Soke? If so do they not then also get access to the training grounds as part of the transfer? Or is this an issue of someone inheirits the land that is not training?

Thanks

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian et al,

The issue of religion is not of any concern for me. Not because I am not training in the art, but it is nothing for me to be concerned about.

My confusion is the following and maybe it is obvious to those on the inside, so I apologize if it is.

When Hatsumi Sensei retires does he not name a new Soke? If so do they not then also get access to the training grounds as part of the transfer? Or is this an issue of someone inheirits the land that is not training?

Thanks

Hey Rich,

Apparently Japanese inheritance law is a little different and there is a fear that many of the artifacts that Soke has would be taxed/taken if they are not some how protected. I do think other people could do more justice to this than I.
icon6.gif

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Rich,

Apparently Japanese inheritance law is a little different and there is a fear that many of the artifacts that Soke has would be taxed/taken if they are not some how protected. I do think other people could do more justice to this than I.
icon6.gif

Taxes puts a whole different light on the issue.

From what I've heard from people from there, or who've lived there, the tax people in Japan make the IRS in this country look like Good Samaritans. They have quasi-military authority (i.e., will send armed riot police into your office to get records if they think you might give them trouble turning over requested documents) and will fight you down to eight places past the decimal point on your tax return. Whatever laws there you run afoul of, you don't want them to have anything to do with taxes.

So if religious status exempts you from certain possibly difficult tax statuses, then the B'kan move makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, I've also heard that the Japanese government is very, very tough about verifying claims to religious exemptions. There was actually a pair of movies made about this in Japan, A Taxing Woman and A Taxing Woman 2, wholly devoted to this aspect of Japanese life in the 1980s. And Japanese people whom I've talked about those movies with have assured me that the films, if anything, underplay the ferocity of the tax authorities there....

Latest Discussions