Buffalo NY, Oct 13 2006 - State of Emergency?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some followup news:

Hundreds of thousands of area residents spent a third cold night without heat and electricity and woke this morning learning that it could be another week or more before power returns.

Just a day after promising service would be restored in three to four days, National Grid reversed itself and said the massive restoration effort may take until next weekend.

Officials from National Grid and NYSEG told county leaders that all customers cannot expect to be back on line until midnight a week from today. More than 1,000 workers in the field are doing everything they can to restore power as quickly as possible, utility executives said, but they emphasized again the extent of the power failure is unlike anything they have ever seen here.

"By any measure, it's the most significant storm damage we've ever experienced in Western New York . . . and that goes back well over a hundred years," William F. Edwards, National Grid distribution president, told reporters.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061015/1046504.asp

Frederick Law Olmsted would be devastated.

The jewels of his vision, the stately maples, oaks and ash trees lining Buffalo's parkways and parks have been clobbered, and recovery might take generations.

A preliminary estimate has found that roughly 90 percent of the 5,700 trees in Delaware Park and its three nearby parkways were damaged in the 16-hour snowstorm that hit Thursday.

A similar percentage was damaged in the system's five other parks - Riverside, Front, Martin Luther King, Cazenovia and South - Olmsted Parks officials suspect, although they said they hoped the smaller snowfalls in South Buffalo left fewer problems. http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061015/1035840.asp

I live in south Buffalo....their hopes are in vain based on what i've seen the last few days. :(

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A week. Possibly longer.

I just found the information that says we should be boiling all water prior to use, until tests on our water come in this week.

My mothers neighborhood is almost completely dark, her streets near impassible with cars buried under tree branches and powerlines blocking the road. Schools are closed at least tomorrow, and I've heard the shelters are full. So far, there have only been about 3-5 deaths though, so thats a good thing. I've heard cleanup and repair is going to run several million at least.

Oh, and I've got a live powerline hanging dangerously low over my driveway.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A week. Possibly longer.

I just found the information that says we should be boiling all water prior to use, until tests on our water come in this week.

My mothers neighborhood is almost completely dark, her streets near impassible with cars buried under tree branches and powerlines blocking the road. Schools are closed at least tomorrow, and I've heard the shelters are full. So far, there have only been about 3-5 deaths though, so thats a good thing. I've heard cleanup and repair is going to run several million at least.

Oh, and I've got a live powerline hanging dangerously low over my driveway.

Whoa.... this is no longer a matter of pretty winter scenes and snow days for the kids... hope you guys get back on your feet soon and that things get back to normal faster than anticipated. For the folks without power whose appliances are electric, what are they supposed to boil the water with??

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the early hit to WNY, Bob!

My Father was born in Buffalo... and lived there for almost 10-years... he still tells stories of life in the "snow belt"...

Hang in there, Brother! This too shall pass!

Yours in the arts,

Andy

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whoa.... this is no longer a matter of pretty winter scenes and snow days for the kids... hope you guys get back on your feet soon and that things get back to normal faster than anticipated. For the folks without power whose appliances are electric, what are they supposed to boil the water with??

Good case for a gas stove and a match.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good case for a gas stove and a match.

Yeah, or an emergency primus right there with your flashlight, battery-run radio and all the rest of it. This sort of thing makes you wonder if your emergency survival prep is all that it should be...