Budo Taijutsu Shihan Seminar Video Clip!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Enjoy this clip of a Budo Taijutsu Seminar.
icon10.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apparently he also teaches time travel (check the date at the beginning of the clip). :p

petelohstroh

White Belt
Reaction score
Howdy,
My fingers are fat from overeating so I'll be brief. I know Joel personally and he has never discussed his ability to time travel with me. Maybe he learned this skill from Arnaud.

But really, anyone can travel forward in time, it called a nap. Reverse is the tough direction.

Video can be an unforgiving medium for sure! For every Bujinkan clip that's as good as the ones posted by Sean Askew, there are 20 (more?) that are less fortunate for one reason or another.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Howdy,
But really, anyone can travel forward in time, it called a nap. Reverse is the tough direction.

I always thought Time Travel is when you black out from drinking too much...

Video can be an unforgiving medium for sure! For every Bujinkan clip that's as good as the ones posted by Sean Askew, there are 20 (more?) that are less fortunate for one reason or another.

True that. I am not entirely sure it is the medium however... ;-)

-DW

PS. Just reread this and need to clarify: I am not commenting on Joel at all (either way) -- just making an observation in general...

301stSpartan

White Belt
Reaction score
Nice video.:)

I have an observation to share:

This is not intended to be an attack on any way on Mr. Everett or the contents of his video clip, just an observation regarding training in general.

Most of us who have been practicing since the mid-80s (which is a lot more people than most would think) are pretty good at adjusting to attacks in a way that permits us to switch from one path of least resistance to another as the fighting interaction changes from moment to moment. This level of skill seems to awe and amaze the new people, but it is really not that difficult when the attacker is moving with broken rhythm, while we talk (instruct, discuss) our way through the motions that we discover on the way to finishing a technique.

Let's be honest, we all know that this method of instructing/demonstrating is an ingrained part of ninpo training culture, regardless of X-Kan affiliation. It is also one of the major reasons why many people have difficulty acknowledging the credibility of the training.

In my opinion, there rarely is a reason to stop a demonstration in mid-flow to highlight the different options that are available at an arbitrary decision point. If an instructor wishes to show a different aspect of a concept that he or she is sharing, then it is almost always better to run through the entire training sequence again. Broken rhythm is a nearly invisible concept to beginners and is very hard for them to discern. Flow and continuity are much more intuitive and expected. Beginning martial artists generally have not developed their body sense and situational awareness to the point that they can take a point demonstrated to them in broken rhythm and then turn around and plug it into a continuous flow. Yet, we tend to think that we are doing new students a favor by slowing things down to the point where Uke is literally waiting for us to indicate that he should continue.

Again, this is not directed to Mr. Everett, but to the Bujinkan Dojo in general, which most likely has more qualified Shihan than any other martial arts organization in history;

Someone who I have a tremendous amount of respect for has noted that for the vast majority of the population, when someone says that they have had twenty years of experience in the martial arts, they truly mean that they have repeated the first two years of training ten times over.

With so many Shihan, there is a tremendous amount of responsibility that has been dolled out. I think it is high time that someone cowboys up and goes beyond broken rhythm demonstrations.

As Sensei has said again and again … Keep Going! (flow)

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's nothing I've experienced that would lead me to believe that people will pick stuff up faster if you demonstrate it in one continuous motion. I've witnessed more to the contrary.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Most of us who have been practicing since the mid-80s

Kids today…. I have been training since the early 70s :uhyeah:

There's nothing I've experienced that would lead me to believe that people will pick stuff up faster if you demonstrate it in one continuous motion. I've witnessed more to the contrary.

I do not train Budo Taijutsu I train CMA but I would have to agree with you. It may be a good way to train after you have learned an application but you need to break it down in the beginning.

301stSpartan

White Belt
Reaction score
No not really, Have you tried doing it the way I reccomend?

Probably not.

succka!

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No not really, Have you tried doing it the way I reccomend?

Probably not.

succka!

Are you trying to offend people?

I have done things both ways. They both have their advantages and disadvatages. If you are part of a large group of unknown people, then they probably will not get the small points that are part of the process needed to getting to the end result.

Please try to keep your ego in check considering your limited knowledge of the subject matter.

301stSpartan

White Belt
Reaction score
By the way bydand, I get the feeling that you are using my old nick name in a condecending or overly familiar way. I don't know what you have heard about me, but rest assured, I will come home one day and I do have the capability to back up any seemingly outrageous points of view that I put forward here or elsewhere on the net.

Best regards,

Vern

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the way bydand, I get the feeling that you are using my old nick name in a condecending or overly familiar way. I don't know what you have heard about me, but rest assured, I will come home one day and I do have the capability to back up any seemingly outrageous points of view that I put forward here or elsewhere on the net.

Best regards,

Vern
Never said anything like that. Just said it wasn't a very mature response. Used Jo-jo because I know that is what you used to go by, not condecending at all.

Tenguru

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are the lunging, slow motion type of attacks shown in that video typical of Bujinkan training?

Latest Discussions