Budo in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Help me find a dojo

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey guys. So since last year I've been traveling like a crazy person (the loss of 3 grandparents and the long illnesses that go with it) that I've not been able to post on here much more train. A couple weeks ago I gave up my apartment in NY because I could not pay $1200 a month for pretty much not living there but at the bedside of both grandmothers and my grandfather. So this Sunday is my grandfather's funeral in Jamaica and after that I go to India for a ceremony for my grandmother then I'll be in Florida for at least a couple months. I jokingly refer to it as my "Going Galt" to my buds.

So my question is, are there any Bunjinkan, Genbukan or any of the other kans here in Ft Lauderdale you know of? I've done some digging and the closest schools I could find are in West Palm Beach and Miami. That's 50 miles for both and being a New Yorker I have no car and cannot just borrow my parents car to put 100 miles on it every day.

Heck, any Hwa Rang Do or Kuk Sool Won even? The help would be appreciated. I don't wanna sit around not learning.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So since last year I've been traveling like a crazy person (the loss of 3 grandparents and the long illnesses that go with it) that I've not been able to post on here much more train. A couple weeks ago I gave up my apartment in NY because I could not pay $1200 a month for pretty much not living there but at the bedside of both grandmothers and my grandfather. So this Sunday is my grandfather's funeral in Jamaica and after that I go to India for a ceremony for my grandmother then I'll be in Florida for at least a couple months. I jokingly refer to it as my "Going Galt" to my buds.

So my question is, are there any Bunjinkan, Genbukan or any of the other kans here in Ft Lauderdale you know of? I've done some digging and the closest schools I could find are in West Palm Beach and Miami. That's 50 miles for both and being a New Yorker I have no car and cannot just borrow my parents car to put 100 miles on it every day.

Heck, any Hwa Rang Do or Kuk Sool Won even? The help would be appreciated. I don't wanna sit around not learning.

Well, first off, I'm sorry for your loss.

As for training, if you haven't already you may want to check out these links:

www.winjutsu.com

Jinenkan

Genbukan

Good luck on your search. :)

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score

West Palm Beach is the only one I know of. I know it's not a bujinkan or a genbukan but there is a VERY good BJJ school in Ft. Lauderdale. It's Popovitch Jiu Jitsu Academy. Here is a link to it....http://www.bjjcenter.com/ I will be in Ft. Lauderdale from June 6 to June 13. Staying at Lighthouse Cove on A1A across from the 14 Street Causway.

Private mesage me if you want to work out together when I'm there. I'm going for vacation but would love to still work out.

HeisaaReborn

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My hubby used to contract up in Fort Lauderdale before we moved, don't know of any Bujinkan but here are a couple schools that we have some knowledge of that you might like:

Nato's Tiger Dojo
Sensei Nato Gomez
14447 Miramar Pkwy
Miramar, FL 33027
(954) 499-1446

Style Offered: AikiJujutsu

Atemi Ryu Karate
10th Dan Grand Master Joe Williams
3900 S.W. 100th Ave., Davie, FL 33328
(954) 370-3750
http://atemi-ryu.org/
Style Offered: Atemi Ryu Karate

Combative Systems International
Michael Lazarus
Pembroke Pines, FL
(754) 581-1503

Good Luck,

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Omar,
Gary Giamboi of the Genbukan is in Boyton beach and he is a highly ranked Genbukan teacher.

In the Miami area you have Rob who is very skilled.

Felix Diaz is in the Miami area as well he was a 10th dan Bujinkan but moved to the Genbukan and he is skilled as well. I believe Rob was a student of Felix's.

If you are looking for other styles in the Miami area let me know since I am from this area.

You can find Felix's and Gary's info on the Genbukan.org site under dojo location.
Rob's site is with Tenshin Aikido(Steven Segals style) http://www.tenshindojo.com/

Good school. Here is Rob's site: http://www.onibujin.com/shinobi

I don't know about Heisaa's schools I know there is one Aikijujutsu school that is authorized to teach by the Daito ryu http://www.daito-ryu.org/location_eng.html
Miami Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Study Group, USA

Contact person: Juan Ribot

Address: 14248 SW 156 avenue, Miami, Florida, 33196, USA.
Phone: 786-293-8668

Email: [email protected]

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can only recommend Paul-sensei in West Palm Beach. If travel is an issue, I'm sure you can find someone to carpool with.