Bruce lee arts

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I wanna do the arts Bruce lee did which are WingChun, Chinese martial arts and Jeet Kune Do but the problem is that Chinese martial arts have alot of styles and its gonna take alot of time in that. So to fight somewhat like Bruce lee is JKD enough or do I have to learn Chinese martial arts and Wing Chun too?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Bruce Lee trained Wing Chun and then looked at a lot of styles that were not Chinese martial arts, came up with Jun Fan Gongfu and then Jeet Kune Do

You don't need to study anything other than Jeet Kune Do. If you want more than that I would recommend someone that teaches Jun Fan but you don't need to study anything else if you want the fighting style of Bruce Lee. And by the way Bruce Lee's fighting style died with him. Everything that comes after is not exactly the same to varying degrees.

I trained JKD Briefly with a man who felt you needed a base in Wing Chun or Jun Fan to really understand JKD but he did not require you learn Wing Chun but he did teach JF first. But there are 2 major schools of thought within the JKD world as to how to train and as far as I know neither expects you to train Wing Chun or other CMA style before you train with them

I trained Xingyiquan but I do not think it is mecessary to train Dai Xinyi first and I train Yang Taijiquan and I do not think you need to study Chen style first

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee trained Wing Chun and then looked at a lot of styles that were not Chinese martial arts, came up with Jun Fan Gongfu and then Jeet Kune Do

You don't need to study anything other than Jeet Kune Do. If you want more than that I would recommend someone that teaches Jun Fan but you don't need to study anything else if you want the fighting style of Bruce Lee. And by the way Bruce Lee's fighting style died with him. Everything that comes after is not exactly the same to varying degrees.

I trained JKD Briefly with a man who felt you needed a base in Wing Chun or Jun Fan to really understand JKD but he did not require you learn Wing Chun but he did teach JF first. But there are 2 major schools of thought within the JKD world as to how to train and as far as I know neither expects you to train Wing Chun or other CMA style before you train with them

I trained Xingyiquan but I do not think it is mecessary to train Dai Xinyi first and I train Yang Taijiquan and I do not think you need to study Chen style first

Thanks that was really helpful :) although jkd is the way Bruce lee fights but before that he learned wing chun and some Chinese martial arts so I think he could do better jkd with those two :) oh yeah do you know which Chinese martial art styles he learned?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I wanna do the arts Bruce lee did which are WingChun, Chinese martial arts and Jeet Kune Do but the problem is that Chinese martial arts have alot of styles and its gonna take alot of time in that. So to fight somewhat like Bruce lee is JKD enough or do I have to learn Chinese martial arts and Wing Chun too?

I'd start with just JKD. Looking at some of your posts, while it seems that you have a desire to learn and train, it also seems like you're in a rush. In other words, you want to learn as much as possible, in the shortest time possible. IMHO, people who tend to spend a short time training, ie: a month here, a year there, etc, tend to be more in the category of a "Jack of all trades, Master of none." which doesn't necessarily mean the person will be any good.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks that was really helpful :) although jkd is the way Bruce lee fights but before that he learned wing chun and some Chinese martial arts so I think he could do better jkd with those two :) oh yeah do you know which Chinese martial art styles he learned?

Yeah never "learned" any. He studied Wing Chun, but left way before his training complete or would be considered a serious player. He dabbled in other things, but never invested himself into learning something from start to finish. In his cherry picking & "synthinsizing", he developed JKD which is not a new idea in TCMA or really MA for that fact. The difference was he was riding a wave of "oh wow!!!" especially here in the West. How many JKD schools are there in Hong Kong?

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd start with just JKD. Looking at some of your posts, while it seems that you have a desire to learn and train, it also seems like you're in a rush. In other words, you want to learn as much as possible, in the shortest time possible. IMHO, people who tend to spend a short time training, ie: a month here, a year there, etc, tend to be more in the category of a "Jack of all trades, Master of none." which doesn't necessarily mean the person will be any good.

Dude! Thats 100 percent true! What can you read minds!? Awesome how did you deduct that? Anyways I also wanted muay thai but heard JKD would have more skill but muay thai makes you tougher so confused :(

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Others have answered this very thoroughly and much better than I could. But I do have one piece of advice for you. Learn to fight like Hamza. I don't know your training background, but after a certain point, you'll see what your preferences are and as time goes by, you'll develop your own 'style.' I don't mean that you'll create a new system, though who knows? Perhaps you will, but what I mean is that you will make what you practice your own and what you do will be yours, not you fighting like someone else.

This is going to be true no matter what you practice, be it Wing Chun, JKD, Muay Thai, or anything else. I wish you the best in your training! :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

He did not study any other Chinese Martial Art, the only one you could say he studied was Wing Chun and I know he learned Siu Nim Tao and he may have learned Chum Kiu but I do not think he learned Biu Tze. Other than that he trained Chi sao. I am not even sure he ever trained much with the Muk Yan Jong

I would forget the other styles thing and go straight for JKD if that is what you want, the big issue is finding a legitimate school that has a good teacher. If you absolutely have to train something else then pick Wing Chun and after that look for a guy that teaches actual Jun Fan.

Beyond that you might want to pick up this book

Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: The Complete Edition by Bruce Lee

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Something I always think about when I see a JKD school is one of my favorite quotes by Bruce Lee

Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back.

Another one I rather like is

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done. - Bruce Lee

Just go train and stop worrying about other styles

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't forget boxing (he was very good) and fencing, and the eskrima influence via Dan Inosanto.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't forget boxing (he was very good) and fencing, and the eskrima influence via Dan Inosanto.
I know he drew from the profiling and footwork of western fencing, but did he actually fence? And if so, did he dabble or really get into it? And what was his prefered weapon? It would be cool to see pictures of him in fencing attire.

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Others have answered this very thoroughly and much better than I could. But I do have one piece of advice for you. Learn to fight like Hamza. I don't know your training background, but after a certain point, you'll see what your preferences are and as time goes by, you'll develop your own 'style.' I don't mean that you'll create a new system, though who knows? Perhaps you will, but what I mean is that you will make what you practice your own and what you do will be yours, not you fighting like someone else.This is going to be true no matter what you practice, be it Wing Chun, JKD, Muay Thai, or anything else. I wish you the best in your training! :)
You just gave me something I needed bro, your right I want to be me, I was so obsessed with being like Bruce lee I actually forgot that I can get better than him just being me. Thanks alot :)

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To fight somewhat like Bruce Lee, you would have to be of roughly the same build and height, with a background in Wing Chun, had the opportunity to train with some of the top name martial artists of the 60's, cross train in some 27 different arts(absorbing what is useful), and have his speed and reflexes. Otherwise, you will look like Hamza doing "his" version of martial arts. Find an original JKD instructor, if you can, not a JKD concepts instructor, they can teach you the art of JKD as it was in Bruce's days.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude! Thats 100 percent true! What can you read minds!? Awesome how did you deduct that? Anyways I also wanted muay thai but heard JKD would have more skill but muay thai makes you tougher so confused :(

Nope, can't read minds. I've been around long enough, that I've seen questions such as you ask, so many times, I've pretty much got people like you, narrowed down. :)

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nope, can't read minds. I've been around long enough, that I've seen questions such as you ask, so many times, I've pretty much got people like you, narrowed down. :)
Oh nice :)

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To fight somewhat like Bruce Lee, you would have to be of roughly the same build and height, with a background in Wing Chun, had the opportunity to train with some of the top name martial artists of the 60's, cross train in some 27 different arts(absorbing what is useful), and have his speed and reflexes. Otherwise, you will look like Hamza doing "his" version of martial arts. Find an original JKD instructor, if you can, not a JKD concepts instructor, they can teach you the art of JKD as it was in Bruce's days.
Yeah but finding some one who is a true JKD instructor would be hard so I'll have to depend more on books :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah but finding some one who is a true JKD instructor would be hard so I'll have to depend more on books :)

You'd be better off finding a good instructor from just about any martial art versus reading books. Where are you located?

Latest Discussions