Broken Toes

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hard to say it depends on how bad the break was.

I usualy get back on the floor asap. Learning how to move with a broken toe (foot) is a learning experence.
Are you going to tell a mugger not to mug you because you have a broken toe?

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I continually have broken toes...once you break that little one it never seems to heal right. I just tape the suckers together and keep training.

Of course if it is a really nasty break or involved the big toe, it can be prohibitive. But for just the other, run of the mill toes:rolleyes:, I just keep training.

OP
F

Fletcher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think I may have broken two toes on the same kick and possibly a couple bones in my foot. I'm thinking about going to the doctor to get it an x-ray but I haven't had time yet.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Fletcher said:
I think I may have broken two toes on the same kick and possibly a couple bones in my foot. I'm thinking about going to the doctor to get it an x-ray but I haven't had time yet.

Yikes! Sounds like you did more than your average "stub your toe" break.

Definitely lay off training until you get an x-ray. If you have broken bones in your foot and don't lay off it will take forever to heal. Better a small lay off with good healing than a crappy, long, painful inadequate healing.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
Yikes! Sounds like you did more than your average "stub your toe" break.

Definitely lay off training until you get an x-ray. If you have broken bones in your foot and don't lay off it will take forever to heal. Better a small lay off with good healing than a crappy, long, painful inadequate healing.
Gospel.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fletcher said:

Er, yeah, you might wanna postpone your soccer match and that jump rope marathon and get ye to a physician. This is something you might want to make time for.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, definately see a doctor. Unfortunately, theres not much you can do for a broken toe besides taping it. I'd take it easy until you get it looked at.

Mike

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
...and as far as taping, try to get a professional opinion (i.e from an "athletic trainer") because few people know how to actually tape things on their body. Many times one can make the issue worse by not knowing how to tape.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i broke my thumb once....

The beginning of the tournament....I blocked with my figures open...swelled up right away...could not get my glove off....didn't tell anyone...finished the next few matches and won 1st place.

After that had to do kata....lol...almost didn't get the glove off in time...lol.

After the tournament went to a wedding....with one very painful and swollen thumb....that is when i learned to ignore pain....at least to a certain degree.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yow! yeah, see a doctor before you push the training. You might make it worse, and it might never heal properly. Nothing like limping around for the rest of your life because you couldn't make the time to see a doctor...

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What's the update? Fletcher- is your foot all better yet?

I just broke one of my toes in two places on Monday. It's not even an exciting story to tell!! I was walking down our hallway with a load of laundry and went to move around the vacuum cleaner which was in the middle of the hall and whamed my left foot into the doorframe of the wall.......JUST WALKING!! Went to urgent care and they x-rayed it......it's the ring finger toe next to the pinky toe. Turning all the pretty colors now. They put me in a stiff post op shoe and told me it would be at least 3 weeks for healing. I am skeptical it will happen that fast. Fortunately, the bones are aligned even though my toe is sticking out at the wrong angle now!! So.....they didn't have to re-position it. I have to go back Friday for re-evaluation and to make sure it is healing correctly. When I walk, I have to roll my foot to the inside and walk more on my big toe side of my foot........I can't handle putting pressure directly down on the broken one yet. :(

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
dude, as you heal up you'll want to wear shoes or tape up.

i broke my toe last year and found that even after it was mostly healed, it drooped about a quarter inch for a couple of months. walking barefoot with one toe a quarter inch lower than you're used to means stubbing your _broken_ toe on the floor all the time.

shoes or tape. and right now is the end of wrestling season, so you can get a pair of wrestling shoes on clearance sale.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if they have the female kind?? I know.......the name makes me look like a male poster!! :) Good advice though......I will look into shoes and/or will definitely tape it. Thanks! :)

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I broke my little toe 2 days before a tournament. I knew it was broke (didn't get x-rays though) but couldn't drop out of the tournament. It was just a mini-tournament our school put on. It hurt pretty bad but I won 1st. I seem to have a problem of not being able to take time off for injuries. I talked to my chiropractor (a black belt at our school) and she recommended taping it. It is still not "100%" but getting better. Maybe in July when I am done testing for Black Belt I will take some time off....then again, probably not!:)

OP
F

Fletcher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My toes healed just fine and have re-broken to heal again a couple times since I started this thread. I'm starting not to notice anymore when it happens, but maybe someday I'll learn to pull my toes back properly and I'll stop breaking them. Actually as I am typing this I realized that none of my toes are even sore anymore, which is rare. I'm going on a roadtrip to a big tournament in Chicago in a week though so I'll probably break another toe in a couple of days.