Brock And His Antics

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Plus, Tito was a nobody back then. Brock is the Champ, and usually people like when stars act like they are normal people.

Royce broke Jason's arm back in '94. In those days, the UFC was kind of a freak show with barely any rules, and was not the respected (by some people at least ) sport(MMA) it is today.

If I could have it my way there would also be a rule stopping fights if they get too bloody. I think it hurts the image of MMA. In many peoples views, when they see a picture of the Joe Stevenson and BJ Penn fight, to them , it looks more like some bloody cock fight and not a respected sport.

All of these things kind of hurt the image of MMA, IMO.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that, by saying that a behavior is offensive, I am stating an opinion about that behavior. That doesn't mean I'm "blowing it out of proportion", or calling for Brock Lesnar's head on a pike, or anything else extreme. Just as Lesnar has a right to act like an @ss, I have a right to express my opinion that he's acting like one.

Those of you who were offended by my calling his behavior offensive have a right to be, also. But please don't take it personally; I'm not talking about you, after all. And it's not going to prevent me from saying what I think, in a respectful, courteous way, of course.
:angel:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that, by saying that a behavior is offensive, I am stating an opinion about that behavior. That doesn't mean I'm "blowing it out of proportion", or calling for Brock Lesnar's head on a pike, or anything else extreme. Just as Lesnar has a right to act like an @ss, I have a right to express my opinion that he's acting like one.

Those of you who were offended by my calling his behavior offensive have a right to be, also. But please don't take it personally; I'm not talking about you, after all. And it's not going to prevent me from saying what I think, in a respectful, courteous way, of course.
Excellent post. The entire point of the thread was to get opinions on what others thought of Brock's behavior. That, in and of itself, requires that we express what we, as individuals, believe is acceptable behavior. Me? I guess I'm not a big fan of anything less than completely honorable behavior in competition. I'm also a stick in the mud about a lot of other things... or so my kids tell me. I won't stop watching the fights unless this behavior becomes the norm for most fighters. It's not a first but certainly out of the ordinary or else we wouldn't be discussing it. I don't watch the reality show for that reason. It's more about childish behavior that I'd find completely unacceptable for myself or my kids so I simply don't watch. If the regular fights become more theatrics than fights then I'll stop watching.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus, Tito was a nobody back then. Brock is the Champ, and usually people like when stars act like they are normal people.

Tito has been around alot longer than Brock, and initially, this is one of the things that ticks me off. The fact that they put Brock, with little MMA background, against some top ranked people. IMO, I think that if you're new to MMA, especially the UFC, you need to work your way up the foodchain. He's only the champ because he got fast-tracked.

Royce broke Jason's arm back in '94. In those days, the UFC was kind of a freak show with barely any rules, and was not the respected (by some people at least ) sport(MMA) it is today.

Yeah, there were ALOT less rules than what we see today.

If I could have it my way there would also be a rule stopping fights if they get too bloody. I think it hurts the image of MMA. In many peoples views, when they see a picture of the Joe Stevenson and BJ Penn fight, to them , it looks more like some bloody cock fight and not a respected sport.

All of these things kind of hurt the image of MMA, IMO.

Usually they do. IMO, there is more emphasis on fighter safety than in past or should I say earlier shows. I also think that the image of the UFC, in addition to martial arts in general is SERIOUSLY distorted, due to the fact that many people have no idea what the hell they're talking about. They see some B-rated MA flick on tv, and assume that is what its like. People running around making Bruce Lee sounds.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Never said that you couldn't voice your opinion. I'm just saying that people need to take past actions into consideration as well. I don't think its fair to single out one person, when there've been countless cases of the same things. :)

No, I'm not taking it personally. :) And as I said above, you're entitled to your opinions. Again, I'm just trying to point out similar cases, as I am getting the impression that people think that this is the first time this has ever happened. I think some are looking at it like, "OMG, I can't believe he said that!!!!!"

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tito has been around alot longer than Brock, and initially, this is one of the things that ticks me off. The fact that they put Brock, with little MMA background, against some top ranked people. IMO, I think that if you're new to MMA, especially the UFC, you need to work your way up the foodchain. He's only the champ because he got fast-tracked.

Unbelievable. He only had two fights in the UFC before his title shot, and one of those he lost. UFC sucks.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unbelievable. He only had two fights in the UFC before his title shot, and one of those he lost. UFC sucks.

IMO, its all about the $$$$$$. Dana probably saw some opportunity, seeing that Brock did have a wrestling career, and figured with his size and strength, it'd make for some interesting fights. So he fights Mir twice, losing the first to a leg lock. He also beat Randy, which I was sorry to see, but in any case, seeing that Randy is, IMO, one of the top guys, why did he get a shot at him, instead of fighting someone who is still in the lower end of the pool?

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO, its all about the $$$$$$. Dana probably saw some opportunity, seeing that Brock did have a wrestling career, and figured with his size and strength, it'd make for some interesting fights. So he fights Mir twice, losing the first to a leg lock. He also beat Randy, which I was sorry to see, but in any case, seeing that Randy is, IMO, one of the top guys, why did he get a shot at him, instead of fighting someone who is still in the lower end of the pool?

The whole thing might have been different if Randy didn't try to leave the UFC and then come back. If that hadn't happened, Mir likely would've fought him after he beat Nogueira. So, besides Mir and Noguiera, who could've fought Randy? Cro Cop? No. Cheick Kongo and Cain Velasquez were tied up for UFC 99. So I guess the only likely fighter was Lesner since he just came off a win. The logistics involved in timing these events must be a pain in the ***.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No in regards to Lesnar fighting Couture I believe it was probably more payback from Dana. Couture wanted to fight Fedor and wanted to leave if I am correct and they took his title thus the whole Mir interim title. Lesnar was and is an incredibly bad match up for Couture so Dana stuck it to him. At least that is the prevalent theory.
icon6.gif

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Based on all the attention it's getting I'd say Brock deserves a bonus. I mean, look how many posts this thread's gotten...lot's of publicity for the UFC. :eek:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing like martial artists fighting over martial artists fighting :D

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They see some B-rated MA flick on tv, and assume that is what its like. People running around making Bruce Lee sounds.

now the problem is just the opposite

TODAY people watch the UFC or TUF, and think THAT is martial arts.

it isnt.

it is a SPORT, and has little to no resemblance to a a real fight. No more than a choreographed fight scene does.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

it isnt.

it is a SPORT, and has little to no resemblance to a a real fight. No more than a choreographed fight scene does.

Pretty much, yes.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score

it isnt.

I don't know... I mean...that's real blood they're bleeding... and real teeth getting knocked out... and real bones being broken...

...sound like a real fight to me.

But...maybe not! Because that easily describes things that happen in a football game to!!

Man...thought I had you there for a sec...LOL

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i am way too snakey for you

that being said, we are getting off topic

regarding Lesner's antics, I have no doubt that it was part
"see? i TOLD you punks i was for real".

and part

"lets work the crowd"

both are understandable to me

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
i am way too snakey for you

that being said, we are getting off topic

regarding Lesner's antics, I have no doubt that it was part
"see? i TOLD you punks i was for real".

and part

"lets work the crowd"

both are understandable to me

It's also worth noting that when Brock fought Couture, there was no smack talk from either side, and he spoke respectully after he won. The other fights, there was smack talk from both sides, and a lot of "WWE whatever."

Lesnar had just come off beating Couture, and was beating Mir, and the crowd was actually crying for the ref to "stand them up," when that would never take place with any other fighter doing what he was supposed to do.

Hell, I might have fliiped the crowd the bird myself, under those circumstances: they clearly didn't want him to win, and he was dominant throughout-regardless of whatever reason anyon cares to attribute that to..

Plus, it will continue to fill seats with people wanting to see him lose-and I don't see that happening for a while, short of Shane Carwin or Fedor, or a really strong lighter heavyweight successfully implementing Couture's strategy, and keeping Lesnar up against the cage and wearing him down....

Latest Discussions