Brock And His Antics

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if I read Brock's wife right then she was not offended at all and actually probably enjoyed it. Remember they were entertainer's in the wrestling world long before they joined the UFC.
icon6.gif

Now having said that it does not make what he said, did right. No he will be judged exactly by his actions and will or will not pay a price for it.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
People's clothing and music choices have no relationship to making disrespectful remarks specifically about one's wife in public. That's not a valid comparison, IMO. Not that I especially enjoy much rap music; some of it is very clever and well-written, though. And I rarely go around with my undies hanging out, but I don't care if anyone else does--it makes people-watching more fun.

I'm not delusional; I don't think I can stop UFC guys from acting like donkeys; nor would I try. Hell, I'm a librarian. I don't DO censorship. I can, however, state my opinion of their behavior, and judge their character by their behavior. I still think that the "in your face" stuff is stupid, and degrades the sport and the competitors who choose to behave that way. And I would happily tell them that to their faces, given an opportunity--in a respectful, courteous manner, of course.

But see, this is what I'm talking about....people making a mountain out of a molehill comment. The guy said he might go home tonight and get on top of his wife. So the guy said on national television that he might have sex with his wife tonight. *GASP* Please, thats nothing to get offended over.

He did nothing different than any of the other UFC fighters havent already done or said. And yes, the other things I said are a valid comparison, due to the fact that you said you were offended at the comment he made about his wife, yet regardless of how well written some rap is, have you ever really listened to the words? That doesnt offend you, but Brock saying that he was going to get on top of his wife does? I'm lost on that.

Like I said, this was one thing, and people are freaking out over it, yet those same people seem to forget past incidents. You said that you're a UFC newbie. I've been watching it since day 1. Trust me when I say, this comment was nothing. You should watch some past fights. The fighters actions were no worse, and I can't recall as much stink being raised as this fight has caused. Ever watch Dana when he's upset about something, a fighter, etc? Every other word out of his mouth is bleeped out....and this is the owner of the UFC. Hmm...nice image he's showing.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find that the opposite of offensive. :angel:

LOL, no doubt others feel the same.

That's my point, what's offensive to some isn't to others. Society has become so extrememly thin skinned that you can't breathe without offending somebody.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, no doubt others feel the same.

That's my point, what's offensive to some isn't to others. Society has become so extrememly thin skinned that you can't breathe without offending somebody.

Exactly, and this is the reason why I dont see what the fuss is. Offensive things are all around us. The point I was trying to make that was apparently missed when I spoke of clothing, was while I may not be offended by what someone wears, someone else might.

Due to the fact that no matter what the offended person says, probably won't make a bit of difference anyways, if someone is that easily offended, they need to either accept it and deal or become some recluse in their house, never leaving or turning on the tv or radio.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not for the politically correct, thin skinned attitude that keeps people in this country from saying something because it "might" offend someone else.

I'm also not for the ridiculous idea that we must have "tolerance of EVERYTHING" no matter how inappropriate, disgusting, disrespectful, immoral etc.

I agree with some of what both parties are saying;

I may not be "personally offended" by someones choice of music, but if I find it "offensive", and they lack the respect to turn it down in a public place, then I don't feel the need to be PC or "tolerant" of their disrespect.

Same thing with Broc... silly to take his actions personally and be offended. But if people find them offensive, well then, they should be able to take a stand for what was once considered common decency, respect and professionalism. That message doesn't get sent out enough, especially to the youth these days.

The notion of being PC or over-tolerant is why society continues to degrade itself and no one will say a thing about it.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess in the end, Lesnar sprinkled the MMA world with his WWE-tainted brand of douche-baggery and will make his next loss that much sweeter.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not for the politically correct, thin skinned attitude that keeps people in this country from saying something because it "might" offend someone else.

I'm also not for the ridiculous idea that we must have "tolerance of EVERYTHING" no matter how inappropriate, disgusting, disrespectful, immoral etc.

I agree with some of what both parties are saying;

I may not be "personally offended" by someones choice of music, but if I find it "offensive", and they lack the respect to turn it down in a public place, then I don't feel the need to be PC or "tolerant" of their disrespect.

Same thing with Broc... silly to take his actions personally and be offended. But if people find them offensive, well then, they should be able to take a stand for what was once considered common decency, respect and professionalism. That message doesn't get sent out enough, especially to the youth these days.

The notion of being PC or over-tolerant is why society continues to degrade itself and no one will say a thing about it.

You're right and I'm not saying that people dont have the right to be offended. I'm simply saying that this, IMO, was not the end of the world, as some are making it to be. I find it hard to believe that someone is going to be that offended by this comment, and as it was said, his wife, at least at the time, didn't seem to be bothered by it, yet we have seen Tito flip off the entire Shamrock camp, people get mocked while they lay unconscious, etc.

In the end, regardless of what anyone thinks, its unlikely that their views will change the sport or the way people act. If the UFC offends that many people, then those that're offended simply need not buy it. Afterall, it is PPV. :)

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess in the end, Lesnar sprinkled the MMA world with his WWE-tainted brand of douche-baggery and will make his next loss that much sweeter.

Nuff said! Something we can agree on.

Last edited:

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's one of my main problems with UFC. Traditionally, martial artists who competed have shown a lot of respect towards others, with deep bows towards each other and the like. The kind of behaviour exhibited by many in UFC gives martial arts a bad name. They need to quit allowing this kind of boorish behaviour.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem was Brock being a jerk to Frank when the fight was over. Many of these athletes are class acts, like GSP and Randy Couture who are nothing but respectful to their opponents and the fans.

And to those that are saying this is nothing new, they are right but usually those other guys get booed by the crowd too. Brock got booed for being a jerk. Melvin Guillard got booed for saying Gabe Ruediger had a soft stomach(after getting KO'd by a body shot). Nobody likes that *****.

And those TUF guys. Yeah many of them do act like morons. Chris Leben peeing on someones gear, etc.

Brock said "I'm gonna get on top of my wife tonight"- I said "hahaha, what a deuche:

Brock said "I'm gonna have a Coors Light because...." I said "hahaha, what a deuche"

Brock taunted Frank and tried to get in his face after it was already over. I said HOLY, What a *****in DEUCHE!!!!!!!

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
4 pages later, and I'm still wondering why there is so much fuss over UFC 100. I don't recall articles saying that Tank was a jerk or whatever other words you'd like to use, when he mimicked John Matua(sp) after he pounded him in UFC6. What about the Tito and Shamrock battles, when Tito would mock Ken, flip him off? Its not the job of the fighter to stop when he's pounding someone, its the job of the ref, to ensure fighter safety. Hmmm...what about UFC 2, when Remco Pardoel repeatedly elbowed Orlando Weit? Again, Brock didn't do anything different. What about the quick finish with Pat Smith and Scott Morris? Scott was a bloody mess, who fell back down to the mat again, after trying to stand up. It was pretty clear that Emmanual Yarborough was not defending himself when Keith Hackney was using his hand like a club on Mannys head. Keith didn't stop until the ref jumped in. Hmm...watch this from 5min on. Look at the repeated taps on both the mat and on Royce, yet he still continued to choke. UFC 2, Gracie vs. Delucia. Royce won by armlock, yet held onto that lock, causing further injury to Jasons arm, which was also commented on by the commentators.

So please, the reasons why the crowed booed Brock are once again, no different than anything that we havent seen many times. Did these people get booed? Was there a big to-do about those things like there was about Brock? Nope, none that I can recall. And if there was, it was nothing on the scale that this is being made to be.

Talking trash....hmm...check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-V6R3dG20g&feature=related

Oh, heres that Tank clip I was talking about.

5:55 he was clearly out, yet seconds later, he got hit again by Tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
hahaha. Those guys are a bunch of knuckleheads too. Tito, Tank, they always get booed by me.

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Ever notice that the only folks who use words like 'pc' are the ones who know, deep down, that some of the things they say are ignorant, disrespectful and could easily be taken as hurtful? Political correctness is a great way to imitate being a truth seeker.

It's not about being 'pc', a term that has no useable definition, but about common decency and respect for people.

By the by, dudes like Lesnar are why dudes like me have distaste for MMA. Well, that and the Rampage Jackson interview where he molested that girl===a move that his boss found 'funny'. Stay classy UFC.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
By the by, dudes like Lesnar are why dudes like me have distaste for MMA. Well, that and the Rampage Jackson interview where he molested that girl===a move that his boss found 'funny'. Stay classy UFC.

Bunch of morons.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Well, that and the Rampage Jackson interview where he molested that girl===a move that his boss found 'funny'. Stay classy UFC.

Which one? The one where with the ring-girl, or the one in Japan? See, he does that. Doesn't make it right, proper, or appropriate, but it is something that seems to get blown off by most of the people involved.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hahaha. Those guys are a bunch of knuckleheads too. Tito, Tank, they always get booed by me.

Umm..I never said that they didn't get booed. I'm saying that despite all of their antics, nobody seems to blow that out of proportion like some are doing with UFC 100.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Umm..I never said that they didn't get booed. I'm saying that despite all of their antics, nobody seems to blow that out of proportion like some are doing with UFC 100.
I think it's just because there are more people watching now. Everybody tuned in for UFC 100. A lot of people don't know about these other moments in MMA ( Tito flippin off The Lions Den, Royce breakin Jason's Delucia's arm), because they weren't there since the beginning like some of us.

More viewers, more opinions.

Latest Discussions