British Priest says that "thou shal not steal" is more of a "guideline".

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm..careful now....for the same reason you get offended every time someone starts a thread such as this, or every time someone slights MMA...well, I think you can see the point I'm trying to make here.

No, I put a smilie on to show it wasn't serious.

You have to understand I don't get 'offended', I get annoyed at inaccuracies and I also get annoyed when people make assumptions about anything based on what they see/read in the the media. I have a healthy respect for the truth and rarely does the media report the truth. I hate when people generalise, when they tar everyone with the same brush ie a bad cop beats someone up so all cops are bad, someone from X country is an idiot so naturally all inhabitants of X are idiots. You know the stuff. You also know that some comments while not typed intentionally as being snide read as that. The saying 'well it was funny in my head' applies.

I like accuracy and truthful reporting, wishful thinking perhaps but in this case the OP put his own slant on the article then people went off at half cock condemning what was said without actually taking in the meaning.

Joab, which Bishop are you talking about?

We don't have many shelters and we don't have food banks here. There are some hostels for the homeless but generally they can only stay a couple of nights before being moved on. Frankly I wouldn't know where to get free food anywhere here. Sometimes the Sally Army will take sandwiches and soup out but only perhaps in the major cities if then. At Christmas Shelter a charity for the homeless tries to get a warehouse usually in London for a few days and have beds, hot meals plus a doctor available but it's only for a few days.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be fair to the Bishop, he did not advocater stealing from a small business much less a family no matter how dire the circumstance, only a large supermarket. There are costs there too. Up until last week I worked at a Walmart. That specific store had an audit that showed over a million dollars off in one year, much of which came from shop lifting. None of the shop lifters that were caught were on the brink of dying from starvation. That loss has to be made up and that is often made up in higher prices, in the USA the average family pays over $400 a year more due to shoplifting according to a report on CNN.

If it comes down to dying of starvation or stealing the Bishop may have a point, but as I have written before, the focus should be on keeping it from getting that bad, not suggesting that stealing can be a less moral evil than allowing someone to starve to death. Food banks, meals on wheels and the like are of course a far better solution than stealing, and having jobs available that pay a living wage is of course the most desireable solution to hunger.

I was just attempting to get into the base philosophy of it. :)

Theft results in many inconveniences. When I worked in insurance we predicted that at least 2/3 of ones premiums went to making up for losses due to fraud.

Think about that the next time you pay your bill. lol

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ROFL. {Basil Fawlty} Right, that's it ... go and fetch your sword, sirrah! We shall settle this like gentlemen :D.

But we're both MJER! That'd be no fun...

Maybe if we blindfold ourselves, use light sabers, and try some of that crazy MSR stuff, then, then we could have a duel.:)

If you were female, I might suggest being naked and some liquid chocolate, but you're not...so that fantasy goes back into its little corner of my brain....:)

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Joab, which Bishop are you talking about?

My apologies, I thought the priest was a bishop.

We don't have many shelters and we don't have food banks here. There are some hostels for the homeless but generally they can only stay a couple of nights before being moved on. Frankly I wouldn't know where to get free food anywhere here. Sometimes the Sally Army will take sandwiches and soup out but only perhaps in the major cities if then. At Christmas Shelter a charity for the homeless tries to get a warehouse usually in London for a few days and have beds, hot meals plus a doctor available but it's only for a few days.

Bummer, there are lots of those in the USA, the priest would be more productive if he helped form food banks, meals on wheels programs and the like.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe if we blindfold ourselves, use light sabers, and try some of that crazy MSR stuff, then, then we could have a duel.:)

If you were female, I might suggest being naked and some liquid chocolate, but you're not...so that fantasy goes back into its little corner of my brain....:)

Well, I can't supply most of what was wished for there but this slice {yeah, swordwork pun attack! :D} of off-topicness might satisfy

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I can't supply most of what was wished for there but this slice {yeah, swordwork pun attack! :D} of off-topicness might satisfy

I doubt they'd pass shodan with technique like that, but we could talk....:)

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score

Which one of you is wearing the black silk bustier, and which one is wearing the miniskirt? That info would be greatly appreciated as I reconstruct this epic battle in my mind, with Sukerkin's and Ken's faces superimposed onto those of the bar slags'.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the full transcript of the sermon.Please read.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/4813866.Full_transcript_of_the_sermon_given_by_Father_Tim_Jones/

By the very nature of his job in the Church of England he will be heavily involved in charity work as well as pastoral care of his parishioners. if you want to ask him yourselves about his views you can contact him here.
http://www.freewebs.com/sthildayork/people.htm

PS scroll down a bit from the article to the bit that says jockeys in snow at Middleham and click on, one of those in the photo is my daughter, don't ask me which one though lol but she is there.

Last edited:

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have very limited time constrains, I have to go to work (this is what happens when a small business owner gives his employees a week of paid holiday…the work and hours must still be completed…sigh) I may comment on the topic of this thread if it remains active after Christmas as I do have some thoughts on the issues, but I wanted to take a moment right now to say thanks for both the link to the sermon and much more importantly for the link to the story of the pilot and his rescue of those injured from the explosion. Feats such as his happen every single day around the world and we hear so little about them. Thanks Tez3.

I will be in church tonight and will remember in prayer this soldier and his deeds and so many other brave soldiers and families with their tremendous self sacrifices and commitment.

Regards
Brian King

Latest Discussions