breaking thumbs?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What are your thoughts on this? Breaking someone thumbs to end a fight?

They say if a person thumbs get broken..most likly the fight will end? .....is it taught to you? ........Aloha

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thumbs? fingers are probably easier - might break a grip but unlikely to end the fight in itself - though I've never done it for real.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say there is a good chance it would. I'd go for a finger instead of the thumb. Also, it would depend on the persons tolerance for pain, whether or not they were innebreited, ect.

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
You also have to factor in that they generally have ample oportunity to punch/kick/butt/throw you whilst you are attempting the break and that by them retracting their hand in a natural manner when you grab it, it can be hard to effect the lock/break.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For a good exploration of yubi (finger) control, I really recomend Wally Jay's DVD on the subject manner. Great techniques there.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Break, punch, kick, bite, hair-grabs, whatever!

A good martialist will rely upon their training to get them through the fight and end it. But if all else fails... try the above.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd certainly do it if I could, but I wouldn't try too hard to make it work. Also, I'm not convinced that it would end a fight. I guess it would depend on the attacker. Either way, the chances of getting a firm enough grip on a thumb at full speed isn't very good. Beyond that, if the attacker was moving slowly enough to make getting a grip on the thumb simple, in all likelihood there'd be other options available that might afford better control over the body.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kickcatcher said:
You also have to factor in that they generally have ample oportunity to punch/kick/butt/throw you whilst you are attempting the break and that by them retracting their hand in a natural manner when you grab it, it can be hard to effect the lock/break.

Not if you train to lick the fingers out and automatically take it into a joint lock, which could be continued to a break. It is not easy, but it is easier than people think, or why would it no longer be allowed in the UFC, as this takes people out for their next match, even if they complete the existing match.

I would break the thumb, fingers, or what I could, assumming I needed to end an altercation that had threatened me to that point or those with me.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree! Knowing something about joint locks will certainly be a help. Personally, I don't go looking for a lock per se, but instead wait for an opportunity to present itself to me.

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
break a thumb , break fingers, both sound good to me if it stop a fight or situation that could be harmful to me

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
In my opinion, breaking the thumbs is like anything else in an engagement. If it's there, do it! However, as like anything else, the results are not guaranteed. Each person has a different tolerance to pain, mix that with drugs and alcohol, and it might not end the fight. Err on the side of caution, and expect to grind it out!

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
when working as a bouncer (and a wrestling coach, for that matter) i was kind of surprised how well people could function with broken fingers and toes.

it'll stop someone from weilding a weapon, but between adrenaline, anger and any foreign substances, it's not enough of a show-stopper to go out of your way for. if it's there, go for it. if not, i don't think it's worth spending time trying to do.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
For a good exploration of yubi (finger) control, I really recomend Wally Jay's DVD on the subject manner. Great techniques there.

I have his book, Small Circle Jujitsu, which is also excellent.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
when working as a bouncer (and a wrestling coach, for that matter) i was kind of surprised how well people could function with broken fingers and toes.

Good point here! Sometimes you read or hear something and it make you think it is true. (breaking the thumb-will end the fight). For some people they will keep on fighting no matter what you break? ....Thank-you for sharing that...........Aloha

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Breaking/injuring a thumb does not have to by joint manipulation alone. Look at how many people make a fist or hold a weapon. See how the thumb is placed. Often it is just asking for some attention. Will it end the fight….naw not likely IMHO, but, as stated above it will limit many peoples ability to hold a weapon and it can also affect the person’s willingness to extend his hand/arm out to strike you if things get hurt when they do. The hands are often overlooked as a target in our hurry to get to the head or body of our opponent. My opinion as I age and slow down is that if somebody sticks or leaves something out there close to me I am going to make it hurt, hitting near with what I have near…I am so lazy LOL

See you on the floor soon
Friends
Brian King

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kickcatcher said:
if you are doing a lock correctly you do not have to worry about them punching you cross extensor reflex will not allow a strong punch to come in, nor anything else

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A finger that is ABOUT to break is much better for control than a finger which is already broken. I broke the 5th metacarpal in a fight once and didn't even realize it til well afterwards due to adrenaline.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Break, punch, kick, bite, hair-grabs, whatever!

A good martialist will rely upon their training to get them through the fight and end it. But if all else fails... try the above.

Words to survive by.....

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think everyone has said it great, don't force it but if it presents itself, you bet I'll take it. Although I dont think it to be much of a fight stopper. In fact, if I'm really fighting and you somehow break my thumb, I'm going to be really pissed! So while it may start the process of breaking down your opponent, to rely on it to stop the fight would be a mistake (the same as relying on any technique to stop the fight).

7sm

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
ppko said:
if you are doing a lock correctly you do not have to worry about them punching you cross extensor reflex will not allow a strong punch to come in, nor anything else
Cool, how do you do the lock properly?

Latest Discussions