Breaking Radio Silence

Reaction score
Hello, you lot!

My nameÂ’s MALCOLM XERXES; IÂ’m an English stuntman/actor who was invited to this forum by BOB HUBBARD & TIM HARTMAN.

My primary Empty Hand training began when I was in Wolf Cubs (where I was also first taught to shoot).

The system was referred to as “Unarmed Combat” by my Sensei, & was predicated upon decades of his practical military experience in wartime & peacetime, in the field of battle & in civilian streetfights.

My Adoptive Father was a highly proficient bouncer (& would be still if my Mum let him!), & my formal training was further supplemented by him & his own experiences in his professional capacity & in various streetfights, some of which I witnessed myself (to my MumÂ’s dismay!)

@ age 12, I was told that I must choose a sporting activity in which I would receive weekly instruction, whether it be Football (Soccer to you Yanks!), Rugby, Basketball (which interests me not @ all!), Volleyball, N.F.L., or Judo.

I chose the latter because it was something I had seen nonogenarian Japanese men practising with great proficiency, whereas the team sports seemed to destroy a man by the time he reached 35 years of age.

Virtually everyone else I knew took up Judo, but when they discovered that they would not become MASTER BRUCE LEE, soon took up Tae Kwon Do, instead, usually after a period of no more than 3 months.

The relationship with my new Sensei was spoiled when my MotherÂ’s 2nd husband said that I was not to be advanced any more belts unless I agreed to participate actively in tournaments (as his adoptive daughter was doing), so I chose to resign, rather than continuing with what had become a tainted experience.

To my own mind, the true spirit of what it meant to be Judoka had been perverted & corrupted by that ultimatum.

Like everyone else, I became addicted to Martial Arts films in childhood, largely as a result of the KUNG FU™ T.V. series that starred MR. DAVID CARRADINE, but what impressed me about KWAI CHANG KANE was not how quickly he dispatched his opponents, but the restraint he exercised whenever he did so: I respect MASTER BRUCE LEE, but I never aspired to become like him (although I respect the principles of Jeet Kune Do).

Of the various fighters who enjoy screen success today, the man whom I most respect & would like to emulate is M. OLIVIER GRUNER, whom I first saw in ANGEL TOWN™: again, I was taken by the very clean, economical fighting style, but also utterly fascinated by his forms, for I had never before witnessed Savate in action.

As well, the fact that M. GRUNER does not have a BILLY BLANKS/JEAN-CLAUDE VAN DAMME sort of physique impressed me greatly.

Of the men with whom I have had the privilege of working to date, the man whose fighting style I most revere is that of MR. JEFF WINCOTT (ironically, another Tae Kwon Do bloke!)
The man from whom I learned the most, despite my having underestimated him grossly, was MR. “ROWDY” RODDY PIPER.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :ultracool

Mike

OP
MALCOLM XERXES™
Reaction score
MJS said:
Welcome to the forum!
coolyellow.gif

Mike
Thanks, MIKE!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Malcolm! Glad to see you made it to the party. :)

OP
MALCOLM XERXES™
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Hey Malcolm! Glad to see you made it to the party.
smile.gif
BOB, thank you for having me aboard! May I congratulate you on the excellent work you have done on this forum? I had investigated it last year, but I find your current layout far more user-friendly.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Malcolm,

Nice to see you made it over here from the Bob's other forum!

Welcome!

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good to hear from you!

It was good seeing you again this past weekend and looking forward to working with you in the future!

:partyon:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Welcome to the forums! Sounds like enjoy your work. Judo is good............Aloha

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Malcolm!

I hope you enjoy your travels here.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome and Happy Posting! :D

And I love your avatar, very cool.

OP
MALCOLM XERXES™
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
Welcome to a Very User friendly board :)

Enjoy and good to have you here Malcolm~!

*pondering where I've seen you around before ;)

~Tess
KT,

Thank you very much; itÂ’s good to see you again!

IÂ’m sure itÂ’ll come to you if you think long & hard enough. ;)

OP
MALCOLM XERXES™
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Hey Malcolm,

Nice to see you made it over here from the Bob's other forum!

Welcome!
TP,

Thank you; IÂ’m sorry I took so long, as IÂ’ve learned quite a lot over the past few daysÂ’ worth of reading.

OP
MALCOLM XERXES™
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Welcome! Good to see you over here too!
ARNISADOR,

ItÂ’s good to see you again, moreso now that I know something more about your martial discipline from DATU TIM HARTMAN & SILENT BOB HUBBARD.

OP
MALCOLM XERXES™
Reaction score
Datu Puti said:
Good to hear from you!

It was good seeing you again this past weekend and looking forward to working with you in the future!

:partyon:
DATU PUTI,

Thank you; it was good to see you again this past weekend @ TORONTO TREK 19. The stickfighting workshops hosted by SILENT BOB HUBBARD & yourself were the most useful events I have ever attended @ a Science Fiction convention, & it was a great honour for me to witness your respective teaching styles in action.

I was *highly* impressed by everything I saw & heard.

POST SCRIPTUM: What is the meaning of “PUTI”? (Thanks for "The Wave"!)