Breaking Demo's

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nicely done, both the breaks and the videos. Thanks for sharing.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm curious what types of material others use for breaking. Anything beyond the normal 1 inch pine and concrete pavers?

I love breaking ice for demo's, but it can be a bit unpredictable as far as difficulty.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do they find such beautful clear ice? I have always wanted to do ice since I live and teach in the arctic? just a note will not tell who but a famous well publisized break with multiple pieces over 12 inches thick each was told to me by an insider that the ice blocks were pre cracked and refrozen?

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Master Dan,

I freeze my own ice (not cracked, refrozen, or froze with a bubble in the middle). I use aluminum banquet trays, fill them with water, and put them in my chest freezer for 1 -2 weeks to fully harden. I once purchased two 300 lb blocks from a local ice company; the size that Bruce Lee broke in Fists of Fury. I will NEVER do that again, by far the hardest thing I have ever broken, they were 12 inches thick.

Parlor tricks, such as you described, are commonplace within the martial arts. Look at "Demo boards" vs. pine from lowes, spacers vs. no spacers, landscape masonry vs. concrete pavers, etc. I don't know where people get those gigantic 4" long blocks that you see people breaking on youtube or ESPN, but I can tell you from their technique and power that they are definitely fake.

I've only broken my hand once, and I've done a good bit of heavy breaking. It was on a 4 inch thick block of ICE, not concrete. I would recommend freezing your own ice (it's cheap and easy!), but start out with about 2 - 2 1/2 inches thick to gauge how hard it is. Also, you have to be fast with your technique, or you will cut yourself.

Good luck and let me know how it works out for you!

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Doc,
Now you've got me thinking about giving up my home depot card and really using my freezer :)

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, we get our boards and concrete pavers from lowes or home depot. I usually only break ice for outdoor demo's (ice gets messy). Good luck on the ice!

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
*post necromancy*

Pretty sick stuff :)

ITF (Tang Soo Do) breaks at tournaments are tests are always with boards, both for standardization and because we often do tournaments at venues that don't allow cinderblocks on the floors. The boards are pine, from the local Home Depot, and are either 12"x9"x1" (for ages 13+) or 12"x7"x1" (for ages 12 and under).

I don't usually have anyone available to film, so the most recent breaking video I have is from Feb 2012, but here ya go anyway:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions