Brand Spankin' New!

OP
T

tigerstorm

Hi, Im not sayign this to be in anyway doubtefof your style but only that I have to ask, is it possible to remember 900 forms?
Tigerstorm

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heres a thought... Take a technique, and do a walk through and analysis of it. :)

Is it possible to master them? For most people, no. Simple fact, most people have 'lives'. But, for someone to really work at them, over a good period of time, I'm sure its very possible. I wish I had the time to train the way I want. (I'd be past white belt stage for a change :D )

1 request, these sound like Chinese MA. Can you do the breakdowns in those forums? I'd like to kick up the traffic there a bit. :)

Arigato.
:asian:

OP
M

Monkey King

Do we all know 900 forms? No. The most will eventually get through is about 150. and that's going up to about 2nd black. Can we all master them. Good question.

This is a life time art as with all arts. Our style is form and sparring intensive. It took me about 5 years just to get to 1st black. But we do have to test on all the previous forms we've learned, every time we test. From white belt to current. Some are short forms some are very long. Some are weapons and some are techniques.

We have a recommended training schedule so we can continue our practice through the workday. Does everybody do it? I doubt it. As it was stated, we all have lives.

The forms enable us to continually practice techniques.

Here is the link with all of the information.http://www.shaolin-do.com

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Monkey King

Some are short forms some are very long. Some are weapons and some are techniques.[/URL]

How short do you mean?

As kaith suggested, the CMA-General forum might be a good palce for this discussion!

OP
M

Monkey King

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place. I'm new to the forum and haven't investigated it thoroughly as of yet. People were just asking questions and I was answering.

To answer the last question, the short forms are approximately 30 to 60 techniques and take about 30 seconds to a minute to perform if done correctly. The long forms take up to 4 to 6 minutes and have a great deal more techniques.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

No problem! It's not so much that here is wrong as much as that there is a kung fu forum that is also appropriate. Please, feel free to keep answering questions here where people (like myself) are finding the answers interesting!

To answer the last question, the short forms are approximately 30 to 60 techniques and take about 30 seconds to a minute to perform if done correctly. The long forms take up to 4 to 6 minutes and have a great deal more techniques.

Thanks. I thought perhaps 'short' meant just a handful of techniques. Fascinating system!

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Monkey King,

Are Bill Leonard, Eric Smith, and Tim Kelly still active in Shaolin-do?

If so, do you have any info on them?

Dave

OP
J

J-kid

I dont know much about Kung Fu , can you describe what it is you guys specilize in and what kind of things you do.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, I study 7 Star Praying Mantis, but am familiar with your system. Its good to have you here.

7sm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Do we all know 900 forms? No. The most will eventually get through is about 150. and that's going up to about 2nd black. Can we all master them. Good question.

Its odd that you guys use the belt system in your schools. Do you mind if I ask what school you are attending? I remember the school in arlington 1st level black was only like 35 forms. Its odd how schools differ. Welcome aboard, I think I said that allready!
:D

7sm

OP
M

Monkey King

I don't know about Tim Kelly, but Eric smith is listed with the masters.