Boxing in self defence?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think all styles of fighting arts can be good for self defense. I figure if they weren't they probably wouldn't be around too long.

I think boxing and BJJ have something in common. They both have a heavy tactile component to them, using the feel of the opponent during training that offers a very quick feedback concerning what you are doing and what he is doing.

There is that danger of injuring the bare hand in punching, though. (in boxing) Most boxers never train barehanded. And nearly all boxing trainers teach a left hook (or right) hitting with the baby two knuckles.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think all styles of fighting arts can be good for self defense. I figure if they weren't they probably wouldn't be around too long.

I think boxing and BJJ have something in common. They both have a heavy tactile component to them, using the feel of the opponent during training that offers a very quick feedback concerning what you are doing and what he is doing.

There is that danger of injuring the bare hand in punching, though. (in boxing) Most boxers never train barehanded. And nearly all boxing trainers teach a left hook (or right) hitting with the baby two knuckles.

I have never met a boxing trainer who has. You can break your hands through the glove as well.

The thing with boxing (and bjj) is you can stop a guy with it. Even in training with the rules through the gloves with the other guy knowing what you are going to do and doing his best to prevent it. You can take a human being from functional to non functional. So as a self defence without those limitations it becomes very effective.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boxers train to hit, and hit hard, and they GET hit hard. Unlike the average martial arts class, they learn what kind of punishment they can take. Yes they train with rules in mind, and yes they usually train against only other boxers, but then again every style has its drawbacks.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Boxers train to hit, and hit hard, and they GET hit hard. Unlike the average martial arts class, they learn what kind of punishment they can take. Yes they train with rules in mind, and yes they usually train against only other boxers, but then again every style has its drawbacks.

You do get a bit of variation though within the concept of boxing.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=28z0RyCY29c

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i train muay thai and can honestly say that for teaching hit dodge hit it's outstanding. in that first vid the guy was actually using the attackers stance against him making him fall making him miss ok so he laid one out cold but he just rolling with what was coming at him.

in kickboxing you learn to take kicks to the ribs and abdominals that's why you train those muscles to take the impact. there is one rule that i've always gone by --- if you can't take it, don't give it.

boxing training if done right is more than adaptable to any situation. you prepare to take a hit, learn where you're most likely to get hit so that you can counter it.

boxing as a form of SD - it's prolly the most widely used cos it's far easier even for a novice to throw a punch than a kick and i'd say stay off the floor cos his friends will just attack you bigtime.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have never met a boxing trainer who has. You can break your hands through the glove as well.

That's good to hear. I haven't taken a boxing lesson in years, but I haven't met any who keyed on throwing a left hook with the first two knuckles.

I think it's the nature of the punch itself. Close to your own head (not a wide punch) palm down, fist in line with your elbow, and particularly - transference of the weight to the rear foot. Whether it's intended to or not, It aligns things so the smaller two knuckles end up as the striking surface, especially in the heat of battle. You get away with it most times because of the gloves, but some times not. Which was the birth of the term "boxer's fracture".

I love boxing, but one of the many things that I like better about Martial Arts is the detail paid to the striking surface of the hand. I sure hope every dojo still does it. I mean they must, right? Kinda punching 101.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's good to hear. I haven't taken a boxing lesson in years, but I haven't met any who keyed on throwing a left hook with the first two knuckles.

I think it's the nature of the punch itself. Close to your own head (not a wide punch) palm down, fist in line with your elbow, and particularly - transference of the weight to the rear foot. Whether it's intended to or not, It aligns things so the smaller two knuckles end up as the striking surface, especially in the heat of battle. You get away with it most times because of the gloves, but some times not. Which was the birth of the term "boxer's fracture".

I love boxing, but one of the many things that I like better about Martial Arts is the detail paid to the striking surface of the hand. I sure hope every dojo still does it. I mean they must, right? Kinda punching 101.

Yeah it can happen. I used to spar a guy who would forehead peoples punches. Used to mess up a few hands that way.

Otherwise broken hands is a very personal thing. Some people get them some don't everybody has their own reason why.

Warrior1256

White Belt
Reaction score
To answer the original question, ABSOLUTELY!!!! When you are trained to swing those closed fists in a fast, furious and accurate manner you will be very well equiped to defend yourself.

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I guess almost all street fighters will use fists primarily.

Boxers train solely to be able to hit effectively while not getting hit. When I say effectively, I mean taking out people in a single strike which they can't even see coming. This is where boxing excels. Since it takes out people so quickly with single strikes and not getting hit, it is also (IMO) the best MA for multiple opponents.

Frankerz

White Belt
Reaction score
aye, i guess the boxing is a perfect way for self defense, someone say about boxing it is a sport and not a Martial Arts, aye in some a way is true, but boxing is old like human, the human started to fight to closed punches from the born, i love the principles of it , speed-footwork-dodge and etc. i use the boxing principles in my own style, the fact of enter and go out of the enemy's guard is so Amazing, so i guess yes boxing is good for Self Defence! :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope, some will use means that are designed to put the opponent down without thrills.

But you should still be able to box though. Regardless of what strikes you are actually using. The method should still hold up.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you should still be able to box though. Regardless of what strikes you are actually using. The method should still hold up.

Yeah yeah, of course, in complete agreement drop bear :) I think sometimes when people use the term "Street Fighter", they have watched too much Hollywood stuff. I had a conversation with my mate about this. I gave him a scenario where you have one big strapping fella built like a kiln, then there is a little whippet of a fella holding a baseball bat, yeah he incorrectly made the natural assumption that the bat was there due to the strapping fella's size.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Boxing is a good art and can be used effectively for self-defense. The same is true of most other arts.

With regard to the original post, yes, many fights go to the ground. Not all of them do, however. And while a grappler is going to try to take a fight to the ground and is generally well-versed in that type of fight, a stand-up fighter is going to try to keep the fight from going to the ground and is generally good at fighting standup style.

One serious drawback to ANY ground-fighting in a self-defense scenarios is that it does not comprehend fighting multiple opponents. One guy grapples you, you take him to the ground and submit him, and his buddy kicks your testicles and/or brains in from above.

I mean no disrespect to grapplers. The good ones are truly dangerous and I would not want to tangle with them. I merely point out that grappling is done with a set of rules in mind; even in MMA, there are only two opponents. Introduce a third opponent, and I think I can promise you that very few fighters would intentionally try to go to the ground.

So from my point of view, stand-up fighting is superior to ground fighting for SD on the premise that it may not be one-on-one without outside interference. Not because one style is better than another, but because the circumstances favor not going to the ground.

Of course, if one finds oneself on the ground, it's a good thing if they know what to do while there.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Calling grapplers "ground fighters" is like calling strikers "blockers." It ignores the range of techniques learned and focuses only on the one facet that feeds your bias and props up your own personal defense philosophy.

While ground fighting is only one part of training as a grappler, the techniques learned help you regain your feet if taken to the ground, help you improve your position if surprised and if you're the one with friends, it could help you control the bad guy.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calling grapplers "ground fighters" is like calling strikers "blockers." It ignores the range of techniques learned and focuses only on the one facet that feeds your bias and props up your own personal defense philosophy.

While ground fighting is only one part of training as a grappler, the techniques learned help you regain your feet if taken to the ground, help you improve your position if surprised and if you're the one with friends, it could help you control the bad guy.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, that I agree with Steve and nicely put :)

MuayThai1987

White Belt
Reaction score
On the street boxing is really effective. if you have good legs and move a lot and stay on distance that´s good. If your opponent is a wrestler, than you can got in trouble... generally, boxing is on my opinion more effective then for example wrestling if you have more then one opponent. one on one is wrestling better

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the street boxing is really effective. if you have good legs and move a lot and stay on distance that´s good. If your opponent is a wrestler, than you can got in trouble... generally, boxing is on my opinion more effective then for example wrestling if you have more then one opponent. one on one is wrestling better

One on one and stays one on one, not likely in the first place generally.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before Eastern Martial Arts were really heard of in the West, they had "old school boxing" that was frequently referred to as the "Gentlemanly Art of Self Defense." A modern boxer who is used to hitting and getting hit would most certainly hold his own on the streets in a self defense situation! Now, if you have a boxing background and are interested into turning it into more of a martial art and increasing its effectiveness for self defense, check out Panantukan. This is often called "Filipino Dirty Boxing." It is essentially western boxing to which all kinds of nasty things from Filipino Martial Arts has been added. Things like low-line kicks, limb destructions, joint locks, body manipulations, grappling, etc. But still at its core are the defenses and punching combinations of western boxing.

Latest Discussions