So you do Boxing, huh?

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is something I've been wondering about for awhile now.
Most people already know that if you practice a martial art it's usually a good idea to keep it to yourself. Otherwise if someone else finds out about it, they tend to take that as a sign to get offended, and have to try pick a fight with you. But is this true for those who practice Boxing? If other people find out you're a Boxer do they suddenly have to try to fight with you?

The reason I ask is because of something that happened a couple years ago. I was with two of my friends where somehow the subject of Boxing came up, one of them had nothing but the highest respect from them. But when I mentioned eskrima in passing he looked at me, and said "That Karate stuff?" And just turned his nose up at it.

He wasn't a Boxer himself in case any of you were wondering that. The other guy I was with was, but he never brought that part up.

dextermarston

White Belt
Reaction score
Marital art is a good for of karate that teaches you how to protect yourself,build up your confidence,build up discipline and self-control.You must tell that guy the importance of marital art so that next time he would not turned his nose up.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ignore people like that...outside of being a sport, boxings no different than any other martial art. People are going to like some, and dislike others. As far as people keeping it to themselves, yes a lot of people keep it to themselves, but IMO no one really gets offended if someone says they practice a certain style. I've certainly never had that problem, and quite a few people know i practice..not because I preach about it but because its a big part of my life, and makes up part of my personality, so it's kind of tough to hide from my friends (especially when they see me leave for a few hours a day randomly in a gi...bit tough explaining that away).

Latest Discussions