Boxing in schools

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So on my thread fighting in schools, people were talking about marital arts in schools but what I was thinking was boxing has been allowed in schools in the past. Not in any of the schools In my area but I have heard of schools having boxing teams that compete against other schools. Has anyone ever been to a school that does that. I mean I'd have loved to have that when I was at school. I reckon in schools they have boxing but if you want to do it you have to start off with mainly fitness, shaddow boxing and heavy bag work and pads and have to do that for a few weeks/months whatever and then those who stick at it and want to advance can move into sparring and competing if they want. That way it'd make the people who are just interested in beating people up would lose interest,

In my school there was a after school kickboxing session but I could never attend as I couldn't get a lift but it was taught by former British champ Mick McCue but I'm talking more about an actual team like for football, basketball etc

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd be lucky to get any sort of physical activity in school hours here now, it's been mostly cut from the schools curriculum.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
The most you will get in schools is wrestling. Less possibility of injury wrestling compared to any striking art such as karate or boxing.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The most you will get in schools is wrestling. Less possibility of injury wrestling compared to any striking art such as karate or boxing.
Not really wrestling can screw you up just as much. Knee injuries, torn acl, head injuries and back injuries if you get slammed, risk of staph infection on the mats, cauleflower ear risk there's plenty of risks in wrestling as well

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really wrestling can screw you up just as much. Knee injuries, torn acl, head injuries and back injuries if you get slammed, risk of staph infection on the mats, cauleflower ear risk there's plenty of risks in wrestling as well

And all of those injuries are involved in others too, but the head injuries and in other martial arts that utilize legs, (karate, tae kwon do ect) carry risks of leg injury such as dislocated knees and hyperextended hamstrings, muscles ect.

You can't honestly tell me you are more likely to get knocked out or get a broken nose wrestling than you are boxing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No wrestling in UK schools, it's not a sport many do at all. The wrestling you will find here is 'country' wrestling, Cornish, Northumbrian, Lancashire catch etc.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And all of those injuries are involved in others too, but the head injuries and in other martial arts that utilize legs, (karate, tae kwon do ect) carry risks of leg injury such as dislocated knees and hyperextended hamstrings, muscles ect.

You can't honestly tell me you are more likely to get knocked out or get a broken nose wrestling than you are boxing.
Well I'm talking about boxing so legs aren't utilised so I don't know where that came from lol and like I said only the higher levels would spar and you could easily get a broken nose wrestling or broken fingers or ribs if someone takes you down and you land the wrong way or they land on you at an awkward angle. Boxing at least be controlled by saying to very light or no head contact if they want to, wrestling not so much.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I'm talking about boxing so legs aren't utilised so I don't know where that came from lol and like I said only the higher levels would spar and you could easily get a broken nose wrestling or broken fingers or ribs if someone takes you down and you land the wrong way or they land on you at an awkward angle. Boxing at least be controlled by saying to very light or no head contact if they want to, wrestling not so much.
The majority if not all highschool wrestling begins with you and your opponent already on your knees, and on a pretty cushy mat. The odds of that happening are very slim. Broken fingers yes is always going to be common in any grappling sport but a knockout is highly not going to happen.

Highschool wrestling also doesn't often do submission wrestling but is more about pinning your opponent.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Many US high schools have wrestling. It's interesting that we don't share that in common with the U.K. Here in Hawaii some of them have judo clubs too which I think is pretty cool.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many US high schools have wrestling. It's interesting that we don't share that in common with the U.K. Here in Hawaii some of them have judo clubs too which I think is pretty cool.

We've never had wrestling as a big thing here either in or out of schools. The only sports schools will do here is football, rugby, hockey and netball, not even a lot of that nowadays either. For everything else you have to look outside schools.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We've never had wrestling as a big thing here either in or out of schools. The only sports schools will do here is football, rugby, hockey and netball, not even a lot of that nowadays either. For everything else you have to look outside schools.

I had to look up what netball even was. I don't think I've ever seen it before on this side of the pond although I'm sure it exists somewhere in the New England side of the country. Guy sports are basketball, football, soccer, baseball, and wrestling. For girls it's gymnastics, volleyball, cheerleading, and hit or miss between women's basketball and soccer. Track and cross country are popular for both sexes as well as swimming for those schools that actually have a pool. I know some New England schools have lacrosse and/or water polo.

As a side note, I never saw it, but apparently my high school (over 100 years old) had an old indoor gunrange tucked away in some back sectioned off area. Things were different back in the day. Kids would have gun racks on the back of their pick up trucks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The posh Public schools like Eton, Harrow, Cheltenham Ladies College etc have wonderful sports facilities that cover just about every sport going, it's recently been noted that a lot of the UK sportsmen and women in the Olympics come from a Public school background. In the London Olympics the Eton school rowing lake was used for the rowing events. As always money speaks.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The majority if not all highschool wrestling begins with you and your opponent already on your knees, and on a pretty cushy mat. The odds of that happening are very slim. Broken fingers yes is always going to be common in any grappling sport but a knockout is highly not going to happen.

Highschool wrestling also doesn't often do submission wrestling but is more about pinning your opponent.

High school wrestling matches (technically folk-style) always begin with both wrestlers on their feet. As the match goes on, the wrestlers can be restarted on their hands and knees, one person down, one on top (aka referee's position), or on their feet. It depends on the situation during the match, and the wrestlers' choice to start the 2nd and 3rd periods (and OT).

The mats aren't "cushy" by any means. They're not like gymnastics crash mats. Get dropped the right way, and you can feel the floor (I know this, having felt it with the top of my head once or twice). There are a lot of throws from your feet.

KOs, while not common like boxing, are common. Working as an athletic trainer (medical staff) for many high school wrestling tournaments, we'd get about 4-5 loss of consciousness concussions during all day tournaments.

I wrestled from 3rd grade all the way through high school, coached it for about 10 years on and off, and worked wrestling for quite a few years during my athletic training career. I also worked the NCAA Div 1 championship tournament the year Cael Sanderson won his 4th National Championship and finished his career undefeated.

Does wrestling have as many KOs as boxing? Of course not. But it's got a ton of injuries. A lot of high schools cut it due to the liability. Title IX (equal opportunities for men and women) was a huge blow to wrestling in high schools and colleges; the combination of high liability, not much revenue generated, and no female sport counterpart made it the perfect sport to cut.

Rant over.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
High school wrestling matches (technically folk-style) always begin with both wrestlers on their feet. As the match goes on, the wrestlers can be restarted on their hands and knees, one person down, one on top (aka referee's position), or on their feet. It depends on the situation during the match, and the wrestlers' choice to start the 2nd and 3rd periods (and OT).

The mats aren't "cushy" by any means. They're not like gymnastics crash mats. Get dropped the right way, and you can feel the floor (I know this, having felt it with the top of my head once or twice). There are a lot of throws from your feet.

KOs, while not common like boxing, are common. Working as an athletic trainer (medical staff) for many high school wrestling tournaments, we'd get about 4-5 loss of consciousness concussions during all day tournaments.

I wrestled from 3rd grade all the way through high school, coached it for about 10 years on and off, and worked wrestling for quite a few years during my athletic training career. I also worked the NCAA Div 1 championship tournament the year Cael Sanderson won his 4th National Championship and finished his career undefeated.

Does wrestling have as many KOs as boxing? Of course not. But it's got a ton of injuries. A lot of high schools cut it due to the liability. Title IX (equal opportunities for men and women) was a huge blow to wrestling in high schools and colleges; the combination of high liability, not much revenue generated, and no female sport counterpart made it the perfect sport to cut.

Rant over.

Thank you for answering his question better than I could.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Boy do I wish martial arts was part of the curriculum. I had a boxing class in PE this year once and I was coaching everybody almost. Probably the only fun I had that day.

Latest Discussions