Do you learn defending yourself against common attacks in your martial art?

kehcorpz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is this a part of your training:

Like for example defending against being pushed or defending against being grabbed by the hand or being choked?

Or is this not really a part of traditional martial arts cause these attacks are too much based on reality?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Like for example defending against being pushed or defending against being grabbed by the hand or being choked?

Or is this not really a part of traditional martial arts cause these attacks are too much based on reality?
I dunno, it depends on your answer to my question: have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well it's that time of the month where the board gets flooded with this guys dumb questions

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We learn nothing because we know it all already...:rolleyes:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get in your vehicle whether it be the shoelace express, truck car bus whatever. Go to a gym or dojo and FOR THE LOVE OF BUDO TRAIN!!!

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

Why goes through your head when you hear the phrase traditional martial arts? Do you think we go " oh hey, let's not practice how to avoid getting punched in the face. That's too real and we don't train to face reality."

You again are making judgements and asking questions that would be solved on the FIRST DAY of going to any class.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

No, my art, judo is not effective for self defense and cannot be used against someone grabbing you, it definitely has no way of handling someone choking you.Gosh if someone pushed me, I'd be at a loss.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

No, this is not part of our training. In our training, if they get close enough to grab you or choke you, they should be missing the offending appendage by that point.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I only train against uncommon attacks. I can take being punched in the face. It's the dildo thrusts I worry about.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
One time my employer attacked me with a hand grab, after claiming she wanted to do a 'handshake' (wuts a handshake?)
My boxing really came to the rescue. I circled to the left and fired off the jab, followed up with a right cross to the chin, left hook to the liver, then i headbutted her because it was a life-and-death self defense situation. To think the company blamed ME for it! :bear:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Is this the kind of question you ask prospective teachers at MA schools? Have you really looked at what you are asking?

"Do you learn defending yourself against common attacks in your martial art?"

Maybe that is a problem you have. What do you think martial arts teach if not offense or defense against many different types of attacks? How many uncommon attacks do you expect to encounter versus common attacks? What would you like to see a school teach more of? Or would you rather that at some time in your martial arts journey, you get taught both?

"Or is this not really a part of traditional martial arts cause these attacks are too much based on reality?"

What ever is that supposed to mean? Why would you have any interest in martial arts if you think traditional martial arts (whatever you think that means) does not defend against reality based attacks? I don't wish to be impolite, but frankly, that kind of question is somewhere between stupid and highly insulting to all of us here who are anywhere beyond white belt. Probably white belts would feel insulted.

"Like for example defending against being pushed or defending against being grabbed by the hand or being choked"

Well, again, what are you asking or trying to do? Being pushed, that is usually just a transition move during a monkey dance. Being choked? Well, that isn't that common imho, but it is common and dangerous enough that most arts teach defenses against it. Being grabbed by the hand? You are giving yourself away. Quit trolling.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
695e13e39f8722ce9fdf6adf23de7259.jpg

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I trained how to defend myself against two people approaching me and someone attacking me with a knife.

I guess I am going about martial arts all wrong. I should be training on how to slay 500 oni with a single karate chop and learn how to fly using my chi energy.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yesterday I trained how to defend myself against two people approaching me and someone attacking me with a knife.
I guess I am going about martial arts all wrong. I should be training on how to slay 500 oni with a single karate chop and learn how to fly using my chi energy.

Don't know anything about your martial arts training, but you could obviously use some better training for your attempts at comedy. :)