newbie,need advice choosing between these 2 ma schools

jwmims

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hello i need some of your advice choosing between two martial arts schools.Little backgound first,i use to box as a teenager for a couple of years about 20 years ago.I am ex military,received little self defense training,later became a police officer and had some self defence training in police academy.now i would like to start learning martial arts for physical fitness and self defence.I am no longer working in law enforcement.the two schools that are in driving range of me is a mma school that teaches mma ,bjj,thai boxing,you can take all the classes or just choose to take all classes or just one,i am just interested in just the thai boxing training.The other school teaches San Sai Ryu Karate it is base on Kenjutsu,includes karate,jujitsu,akijutsu and has kenpo influence and the classes are very self defence oriented.I checked out both schools and both are very good and well respected and have been around a long time.Both schools charge about the same price.I am having trouble choosing which one to join.Anyone have any advice for someone starting out in MA .By the way i am 48 years old in ok shape.Love to hear any advice you guys and gals have.Cheers.
James

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you should try them both out and see which one you like better. It may boil down to which instructor you are most comfortable with.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you post links to the websites of the schools in question? We might be able to look for any potential red flags.

If they are both good schools and equally convenient/expensive, then it really comes down to which you personally would enjoy more. Check out a few classes and see which seems to appeal to you more in terms fo the atmosphere and instructional style.

J W

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yep, I agree with those guys. Most schools will offer a free introductory class (or 2), or maybe a weeklong trial for a small fee. You should try both out and see which one you enjoy more.

It sounds like they offer two very different things- one more competition-oriented, the other more traditional self-defense stuff, so you should think about what it is you want to get out of your martial arts training.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm assuming that they both offer some sort of introductory classes, I would work out with both and then make your decision based on what school you feel fits your needs more.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with the other comments that you need to decide which one you like better. Since neither school is a traditional school, and you say they are both well respected, then the one you like best is the one you should join. When it gets right down to it, the most difficult part of any martial art is attending classes regularly for a prolonged period of time. That's the part that the majority of potential martial artists fail.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What everyone else is saying about the instructor is true, but also don't forget to ask about the schedules, and if there's a chance they will be changed soon. If you join a school, then find out the schedules incompatible with your own schedule, that could be a pretty big problem.

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Everything the guys above me said should be follwoed like gospel. They have helped me before in your situation.
The only thing I can add is to make sure the school you attend has no intentions on raising their tution a month after you join. :p