Boxing for JKDers?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The hardest part of learning JKD for me, by far, has been the boxing-style techniques. After years of studying karate when I was younger and practicing FMA now I feel pretty competent at the Oriental-style techniques, even when they're new to me; the HKE scheme is also relatively easy to fit into. But something as "simple" as a jab-cross then weave out is a struggle for me. It simply moves differently. The JKD books explain these techniques briefly but could someone suggest a (kick)boxing book or video that I could use to really study the boxing techniques? I'd like something with all the details and ideally the rationale as well since I tend to approach these things from a fairly intellectual viewpoint, not just "feeling it out". My instructor and the more advanced students have been very helpful but I feel rather awkward at these punches and would like to bone up on them!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

The hardest part of learning JKD for me, by far, has been the boxing-style techniques. After years of studying karate when I was younger and practicing FMA now I feel pretty competent at the Oriental-style techniques, even when they're new to me; the HKE scheme is also relatively easy to fit into. But something as "simple" as a jab-cross then weave out is a struggle for me. It simply moves differently. The JKD books explain these techniques briefly but could someone suggest a (kick)boxing book or video that I could use to really study the boxing techniques? I'd like something with all the details and ideally the rationale as well since I tend to approach these things from a fairly intellectual viewpoint, not just "feeling it out". My instructor and the more advanced students have been very helpful but I feel rather awkward at these punches and would like to bone up on them!

I wish I could help you, arnisador, but I never had that problem. It may have helped that one of the guys I trained with used to train kickboxers. If you have access to some sort of punching bag at home, I'd suggest frequent practice with that...I don't think a book or video will help, as I've found that 'boxing-style' punches have a different feel that can't be conveyed in video or print.

Damn, I'm not much help, am I?

Cthulhu

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to think of something that would help for the last hour and a half, and I couldn't think of a single book or video for you. I think I saw some boxing tapes on Matt Thornton's website, but it's been a little while since I checked it.

What helps me most with punching mechanics is to shadowbox in a mirror s-l-o-w-l-y. If you do it enough times, it won't feel so awkward, I hope.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't see anything at Matt Thornton's site, but there's a lot there. I may have missed it.

Mr. Hartman has a set of wall stations that are great to practice on, but they're pricey. Still, what I need first is information.

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Okay, I found the tapes I was thinking of over at Mr. Thornton's. Check here, down at the bottom, the second set up. Don Familton's Superior Boxing. I've never seen them, or a review of them, but they are the only boxing videos that come to mind.

Those wall stations look sweet, but yes a little pricey. At our school the equipment mainly consists of heavy bags, and of course plenty of pads for partner drills.

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you want to learn the boxing techniques - train with boxers. There are gyms everywhere. The thing about martial arts is that its harder to learn without a live opponent. So much of it is so relative to your opponents position, speed, stlye etc that learning from a book will only give you a glimpse of the depth and width of the techinique.

I've been training with boxers since i was six, and i'm still learning stuff. My dad, who is (at 56) great trainer and inspiration can still tag me when he tries real hard.

If u really want to learn hard, efficient hand striking techniques and upper body evasion, train with western boxers. The depth of tecnique, speed and power of western boxing is simply better than Thai Boxing - i dont want to start any flames here, but i've trained and fought with both, and and on the whole boxers punch harder, faster and more accurately than kickboxers. They train for it exclusively, the boxing stance is more suited to it (kick boxers sit to far over the rear foot for real punching power), and the techniquaes and combos are more diverse. Also, kick boxers dont really evade like boxers do. More stop kicking, high-forearm blocking etc.

However, if you want to integrate some hand techniques with your background in eastern, whole-body oriented MA, kick boxing is a great way to go. Its fun, hard as hell and very efficient. Also, elbows are devastating - simple and effective, easy to integrate with trapping. You wont learn those in any reputable boxing gym. :p

Bags are good, but train with someone who is a boxer/kick-boxer while using the bag - the bag is a great training aid if you're doing the technique correctly, but if your form is bad, you're just building bad habits into your muscle memory. My advice is, go to a gym.

just my 0.02c.

Cheers

Baoquan

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with boxing when I first took it up, coming from a Tae Kwon Do background....were we basically just throw out punches any way we like with no worry about keeping our guard up with each punch. I found boxing really regimented for technique..it was either exactly the way it should be..or completely wrong haha. But I just kept practicing and practicing and eventually it started to feel natural. Now when I do boxing I feel very fluid and relaxed.

All I can say is just do the movements over and over until they feel good. (using the right technique)

not much help I know....

Damian Mavis
Honour KD

B

bscastro

A good book that has a good description of the punches and kicks in Jun Fan Gung Fu is Kevin Seaman's Jun Fan Gung Fu: Seeking the Path to Jeet Kune Do. Sifu Seaman is one of Inosanto's instructors from Cortland, NY. His book has good descriptions and also has sections on trapping, defensive hand movements, footwork, and five ways of attack so it is a good overall primer on Jun Fan.

However, I also agree that a lot of it is practice and just waiting for it to click. I used to study Tae Kwon Do, but luckily I also simultaneously cross-trained in Kali which has some boxing and one of my training partners was also an amateur boxer, which helped alot.

Bryan

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

I had a similar problem with boxing when I first took it up, coming from a Tae Kwon Do background

I am having a similar issue with my karate background. Just today I was reminded to keep my guard up on the cross as the other hand was going back to my hip.

not much help I know....

Well, I appreciate the encouragement Mr. Mavis! In time I imagine I'll get there, but I feel like I'm starting from sub-zero due to my karate training.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know you've probably heard this before..... but I notice the hardest thing people have to overcome when learning something new is thier own disapointments in themselves. I see my partners in Muay Thai always berate themselves when they don't get the technique right away and I see that in my own students in TKD. Being discouraged is making learning the technique 10 times more difficult. Just keep a positive attitude and have faith that you can learn anything you want, nothing is out of reach. At least, thats what I tell people when they seem to hard on themselves.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

B

bscastro

One tool I use to keep my guard hand up (I do this occasionally if my partner says I've been dropping it), is to hold a focus mitt under my guard arm between my upper arm and my body. When you drop your hand, usually the focus mitt will fall to the floor. I do this while hitting the bag or when throwing shadow boxes. It worked great in that I don't really have to do it anymore after 2-3 sessions a few months ago.

For example. If you are in left lead, and you throw a lead jab, you would put the mitt under your right arm (not stuffed up by the armpit, but more around the elbow/upper arm area). For a rear cross, it goes under the left arm.

If you try it, let me know how it goes.

Bryan :)

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks bscastro--I saw this in a book yesterday (Kickboxing for Women, in fact) with wadded-up newspapers, but it was said to be for keeping your elbows tight in not guard up. But you're right--it should help both. I'll try some variation of it.

B

bscastro

It helped both for me. Good luck and let me know how that goes. Also, if you have any problems with your hook, my instructor mentioned how his old boxing coach used to have his students hit old tires with a baseball bat (at first he thought the coach was going to beat THEM with a bat) to help wih their hip pivoting. I think Chris Kent also used a Kali stick against a heavy bag for the same purpose.

I find when training with old Tae Kwon Do buddies and showing them some boxing that the problems come from how they generate their power and being relaxed as much as the hand positioning with the off-hand.

In any case, let me know how it works out for you.

Bryan

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FINALLY today something clicked and I feel like I'm getting a handle on my jab, cross, bob and weave, and general footwork. Luckily my classmates are very helpful--it's a great training environment--in addition to the tips I'm getting from my instructor.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great! It's always exciting when things seem to fall into place and your progressing. Sometimes everything feels like its taking forever to get down and then suddenly it feels like it is so easy and your wondering what the hell the probelm was for the past few months. I've been through that many times.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

K

Kiwi

It sounds like you are getting things sorted out, but here is my 2 cents anyway.

3 Min Endurance rounds on the heavy bag:

1 Min Jab
1 Min Cross
1 Min Jab Cross
20 Seconds of Footwork/Bob and Weave

Have someone hold the bag for you. The idea is to throw a lot of punches in the three minutes. Repeat as many times as you like or take turns with your partner.

When you punch touch the side of the temple w/ secondary hand, tuck in your chin.

Do not punch with a set rhythm, but punch often. Don't be too concerned with footwork, mobility is not the PRIMARY goal in this drill, but obviously you will want to stay light on your feet. The goal is to fatigue the upper body each time so that the feeling becomes natural and you are more relaxed when fresh.

I find this kind of endurance work more common in "gym" environment arts, such as boxing and muay thai and that
many more technical arts rarely do this. It is not that one is better, just that you get different benefits. If you are a black belt or equivalent, but lack true endurance work, you owe it to yourself to work on it.

Let me know what you think. Writing this makes me realize that I do not work this nearly enough ;) I should practice what I preach!

Kiwi

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i agree with baoquan, you aint going to learn much about boxing from a concepts person or from a videotape. boxing is a hands on kind of thing, just like you arent going to learn to play basketball from anyone but a player himself.

anyone who is going to send you to video or explain this kind of thing without saying the only way to get it is from a boxing gym does not know anything about boxing. if you really want to learn how to fight like a boxer, you are going to have to go to a boxing gym (including sparring too, "gentlemans boxing/no-contact boxing/bag work-out" is the same as "tae-bo", even with focus mitts and concept.:D

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor and the other students are helping me, but I was hoping for something more as it's my weakest area in JKD, I feel. We shadow box, use the focus pads, do drills, etc., but I was hoping something might help me get there sooner.

Maybe what I need more than Boxing for JKDers is Boxing for ex-Karateka--I can still throw a decent reverse punch but the jab is tough.

S

sweeper

what the heck's "gentlemans boxing" ?

Arnisador have you talked to your JKD instructor? alot of JKD instructors have cross-trained in western boxing so he may be able to help or at leaste point you int he direction of a good gym.

but if anything I might suggest getting a bag and practicing your jab over and over and over again.. eventualy your body will re-wire it's self for the movement.

also have you ever jabbed before? if not it's probably not so much an ex-karate thing but more of a new to boxing thing, so a boxing gym would probably help.

Latest Discussions