Boxing as a Martial Art

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey look. I simply can't convey my thoughts to defend myself here. I need time to digest. Fighting, where do you think boxing comes from?
I get it. No problem. :) as you digest. Just consider that fighting and boxing aren't the same thing. Boxing is fighting in a particular way with a defined set of techniques and skills honed through training. Tkd is also fighting, just as all ma styles are. :)

All poodles are dogs, but not all dogs are poodles. Right? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does a Boxing instructor allow personal imprint - your own style, beyond the basics, or are they dogmatic like traditional martial arts instructors whos patterns and way of delivery is the bibel.

Could Marcianos technique be approved by a modern Boxing Academy, or would the instructor "correct" him?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does a Boxing instructor allow personal imprint - your own style, beyond the basics, or are they dogmatic like traditional martial arts instructors whos patterns and way of delivery is the bibel.

Could Marcianos technique be approved by a modern Boxing Academy, or would the instructor "correct" him?
It very much depends on the coach. Some will be more flexible than others.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, he was what he was.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it. No problem. :) as you digest. Just consider that fighting and boxing aren't the same thing. Boxing is fighting in a particular way with a defined set of techniques and skills honed through training. Tkd is also fighting, just as all ma styles are. :)

All poodles are dogs, but not all dogs are poodles. Right? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really. Okay, define fighting. And no, I am not biting :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Depends how crap your boxing is. Normally if we can bash you then you should be doing it our way.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends how crap your boxing is. Normally if we can bash you then you should be doing it our way.

Curious here bear. With what you do, guess it is easier to compensate with a lack of boxing skill. Perhaps a fighter at your gym would be taught to perfect a hook maybe, but with the aim to go for a grapple straight after?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
How about vertical vs horizontal punches. Will most Boxing schools teach/train both?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Curious here bear. With what you do, guess it is easier to compensate with a lack of boxing skill. Perhaps a fighter at your gym would be taught to perfect a hook maybe, but with the aim to go for a grapple straight after?

Yes. He says tentatively.

You are not really trying to compensate as much as get as good as you can at the individual components. They are all important.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good:D

Apparenty, a typical Boxing conditioning is: 30 pushups, followed by 30 clap push ups, followed by 30 finger pushups, followed by squats, and other things. It will leave a fairly lazy guy blown away even before the punching starts.

Compare that to Taekwondo conditioning: 30 pushups, followed by 20 pushups, followed by 10 pushups (I can't even do that fully, they do it too fast, and once my breathing get's heavy I have to slow down, followed by 50 situps. Countless stomach exercises lift your legs up to the air and down - maybe 75 times, holding on to something in the back, in a sitting position. The last exercise is very annyoing but manageable.

I would get blown away in a Boxing Class.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. He says tentatively.

You are not really trying to compensate as much as get as good as you can at the individual components. They are all important.

Right, get yeah. I imagine at some point they would need to compensate.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right, get yeah. I imagine at some point they would need to compensate.

Yeah but if you can't deal with one aspect of the fighting then it makes it harder to apply the others. You don't want to be trying takedowns out of desperation because you are getting bashed.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good:D

Apparenty, a typical Boxing conditioning is: 30 pushups, followed by 30 clap push ups, followed by 30 finger pushups, followed by squats, and other things. It will leave a fairly lazy guy blown away even before the punching starts.

Compare that to Taekwondo conditioning: 30 pushups, followed by 20 pushups, followed by 10 pushups (I can't even do that fully, they do it too fast, and once my breathing get's heavy I have to slow down, followed by 50 situps. Countless stomach exercises lift your legs up to the air and down - maybe 75 times, holding on to something in the back, in a sitting position. The last exercise is very annyoing but manageable.

I would get blown away in a Boxing Class.

Yeah but once can do the boxing warm up you will own the tkd one.

Look at some stage you will have to stand in a ring for 3 minutes and throw hard shots at someone. That can tucker a man out.

VT_Vectis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Why not instead tell me where mr Dempsey advocates that I should punch, so I don't have to read the hole book:) A human skull is of the hardest materials in the world for your fist to strike. Far harder than whatever Karatekas use for breaking.

It's not so much where on the skull I'm talking about, as how you position your fist, and what part you impact with. Though not hitting the forehead or top of the skull is a good idea. And hitting the jaw line from ear to chin is a better one.

Would you rather hear from me, a chap with a bit off MA experience, with a few playground fights under his belt, who on two separate occasions got knocked out in a bar (got sucker punched both times) or would you rather read a book by one of the greatest boxers of the last century who held the heavy weight title against all comers for a number of years, understood the body mechanics behind throwing a powerfull punch, and ,at the time he wrote the book ,had about 30-40 years boxing experience?

Google Jack Dempsey, then see if it's worth buying the book. (It most certainly is!)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not so much where on the skull I'm talking about, as how you position your fist, and what part you impact with. Though not hitting the forehead or top of the skull is a good idea. And hitting the jaw line from ear to chin is a better one.

Would you rather hear from me, a chap with a bit off MA experience, with a few playground fights under his belt, who on two separate occasions got knocked out in a bar (got sucker punched both times) or would you rather read a book by one of the greatest boxers of the last century who held the heavy weight title against all comers for a number of years, understood the body mechanics behind throwing a powerfull punch, and ,at the time he wrote the book ,had about 30-40 years boxing experience?

Google Jack Dempsey, then see if it's worth buying the book. (It most certainly is!)

What a left hook.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah but once can do the boxing warm up you will own the tkd one.

How am I supposed to do that, when after more than 6 months I still cheat the TKD conditioning in push ups. Sit ups however is peanuts for me, for whatever reason. I can do 200 in about 2 minutes and 10 seconds (I clocked it).

My legs are strong as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How am I supposed to do that, when after more than 6 months I still cheat the TKD conditioning in push ups. Sit ups however is peanuts for me, for whatever reason. I can do 200 in about 2 minutes and 10 seconds (I clocked it).

My legs are strong as well.

Stop cheating, stop spending so much time arguing with people here and train more.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Stop cheating, stop spending so much time arguing with people here and train more.

Go train yourself and stop obsessing my posts.

It really isn't cheating, but I should be able to do it 100%. after so long. My weight is very light, but I can also pick anyone apart so quickly that they won't know what happened to them. This is very evident in two step sparring when I kick or punch lighting fast and retract, so they can feel the wind in their face . My sparring partner doesn't understand that this is innate in me. I am not even close to touching them.

Latest Discussions