Boxing as a Martial Art

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I COULDN'T BOX MY WAY OUT OF A PAPER BAG.
|
Boxing was developed as a sport but originally practiced was a marital art. Newer evolutions mentioned, including the sport, are martial arts. My 2 cents....

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I COULDN'T BOX MY WAY OUT OF A PAPER BAG.
|
Boxing was developed as a sport but originally practiced was a marital art. Newer evolutions mentioned, including the sport, are martial arts. My 2 cents....

Well I'm big enough to admit that I am wrong, after having spent some time to research some stuff. My thinking was that kickboxing was an evolution of boxing, therefore a martial art in whatever sense I understood. Boxing though is set. You can't just walk out into a ring and then decide to throw an uppercut elbow for example. I have viewed boxing (not in a disrespectful way) as basic human need to defend oneself and as natural system to learn and follow. Pretty much anyone can learn to box, doesn't mean anyone can be particularly good at. I don't think that just anybody could turn up to a dojo and suddenly learn a martial art in that respect. That is the way I look at rightly or completely wrongly.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Because proper boxing is something completely different. Shocking and brutal violence wrought with no finesse other than the technique involved. In that I do not mean some caveman like attitude, just in the pure reality of the sweet science. Overall boxing is not a martial art, just a very effective means of putting someone down hard. Yeah of course though, if you can box you can do much more :)
I realize Transk has developed and perhaps rethought his opinion since this post, but the comment about boxing and other sports being brutal is something I've heard before. You have some in the TMA community who say that their arts are for the deadly streets and the real world, not for a "game" or sport in the ring. The same guys than proceed to call sport fighters brutal, barbaric, and unskilled. This is contradictory, either your deadly street art is brutal and deadly and sport arts are just playing games. Or vise versa, you can't say your art is a deadly street art than call martial sports brutal and barbaric.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I'm big enough to admit that I am wrong, after having spent some time to research some stuff. My thinking was that kickboxing was an evolution of boxing, therefore a martial art in whatever sense I understood. Boxing though is set. You can't just walk out into a ring and then decide to throw an uppercut elbow for example. I have viewed boxing (not in a disrespectful way) as basic human need to defend oneself and as natural system to learn and follow. Pretty much anyone can learn to box, doesn't mean anyone can be particularly good at. I don't think that just anybody could turn up to a dojo and suddenly learn a martial art in that respect. That is the way I look at rightly or completely wrongly.

Boxing is a fairly unnatural system. Naturally people want to throw haymakers walk like a normal person and turn their head away from punches.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boxing is a fairly unnatural system. Naturally people want to throw haymakers walk like a normal person and turn their head away from punches.

True. I just feel that as a kid and others, dodging in a plaground, lashing out a boxing esq type punch would be more natural to the human mind. I dunno, just the way I see it. Just cant help it. That it not to say that my is mind closeted and fixated on this, certainly is not. You can still have victory in defeat by absorbing data.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
How does the beginner process look like in Boxing? Is the physical conditioning dominating ? How long is it until the actual boxing starts - punching targets, sparring etc.. Is it very boring the first month?

I am interested in training it as a martial art only.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
How does the beginner process look like in Boxing? Is the physical conditioning dominating ? How long is it until the actual boxing starts - punching targets, sparring etc.. Is it very boring the first month?

When I started I had my first sparring session after a couple weeks of conditioning, drilling, and combination work(I.e. punch mitts)

I've seen a gym integrate new guys into sparring (although controlled light contact) after only a couple classes, but Im not sure how common it is.

As for conditioning, it was a part of every class at some point in varying degrees. I wouldn't say it was dominating though, no worse than any other coontact/combat sport I've trained it.

Hardest part for me in the beginning was making weight, at least until I found a proper diet for it. But if you don't care about competing, that won't be an issue

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Depends on the club and the gym.

Most are not going to throw you directly into sparring until you build a tool set. But you may well be on the bags and working with pads within the first few workouts... or even the first few minutes.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Bear in mind the better boxers do the sport. And there is very little in the sports side of the art that removes itself from self defence application.

For us the boxing method starts day one.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Will my training in traditional martial arts (Taekwon-Do), be an ok entry or should I start running before joining? We do lots push up, situps, leg/ stomach excercises. Basically a little bit of everything, for maybe 15 minutes per class. Now the thing is, I still tire easily in our sparring. if I am constantly active. As much as these excersises streighten me, it really doesn't do much for my durability..

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Will my training in traditional martial arts (Taekwon-Do), be an ok entry or should I start running before joining? We do lots push up, situps, leg/ stomach excercises. Basically a little bit of everything, for maybe 15 minutes per class. Now the thing is, I still tire easily in our sparring. if I am constantly active. As much as these excersises streighten me, it really doesn't do much for my durability..

Depends,

We would have days at my gym that were heavy workout days. Sprints, running miles, exercises with a partner as your weight( squats and lunges, pushups with legs on each other, etc.) Some days that'd be 20 minutes at the end, and occasionally it'd be an hour and a half and wed hit the boxing in whatever was left.

As for cardio,

It depends, the gloves will be heavy and that'll wear your arms out. But general cardio, they're very similar. Depending on how long you go at a time it may or may not be an easy transition.

For example, being a blue belt in my class I tend to spar 3-4 times a night at roughly 2-3 minutes each time, with somewhere around 30 sec to a minute of catching my breath. Unless The BB really want a workout, or The highest ups in our associations are here, which case we'll go 5 minute rounds.

Now when I was boxing, we would do quick sparring sessions like that sometimes. But generally, if my coach was gonna have me spar for 10-20 minutes of a session he'd have me with one of the better guys there and go longer rounds at a time, 3-5 minutes (as my age groups used 1.5 then 2 minute rounds).

Being an adult, you may or may not go longer.

Some coaches will drive their guys that compete harder and make them do more than those who dont

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bear in mind the better boxers do the sport. And there is very little in the sports side of the art that removes itself from self defence application.

For us the boxing method starts day one.

Self defence does not concern me. I know what will happen to my hands if I were to throw a right hand cross with no gloves on. Not to be recommended, unless there is no other option. Always good to have it of course.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No idea how anything is done today with people starting out in a boxing gym, I imagine it would depend on the gym. As for how it used to be done, it would depend on the gym, it's trainers, their knowledge, their clientèle/fighters. Pretty much same same all the way around.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are they in general OK with people who have no interest in the competitive/sport aspect of Boxing? Will these individuals get seperate training or how do they normally solve this? Alot of that conditioning would be useless if I only want to be there to perfect boxing punches. As to Sparring - don't care one way or other on that point either, in the long run.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they in general OK with people who have no interest in the competitive/sport aspect of Boxing? Will these individuals get seperate training or how do they normally solve this? Alot of that conditioning would be useless if I only want to be there to perfect boxing punches. As to Sparring - don't care one way or other on that point either, in the long run.

Don't see why not. You will no doubt be advised to do at least some soft contact sparring to hone that technique. Besides, sparring is a lot of fun :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boxing was developed as a sport but originally practiced was a marital art.[/QUOTE]

Please do expand on this.....;) did it push the divorce rate up or keep couples together?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't see why not. You will no doubt be advised to do at least some soft contact sparring to hone that technique. Besides, sparring is a lot of fun :)

I can imagine it will be very fun with my "Jon Jones- reach", hehe.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Self defence does not concern me. I know what will happen to my hands if I were to throw a right hand cross with no gloves on. Not to be recommended, unless there is no other option. Always good to have it of course.

Yes they shatter like glass.

You don't have to be fit before you start. It is factored in that new people will need some work.

So just pop in to a gym and get started.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

What do you think the difference would be between self defence boxing and sport boxing?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you think the difference would be between self defence boxing and sport boxing?

Things like head movement and other strategies within the boxing ring which doesn't translate to a streetfight where I can get elbowed,kneed, kicked, taken down in the process.

Latest Discussions