Border Patrol agent hit by vehicle, uses lethal force

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, was the agent justified in using lethal force?

http://news.yahoo.com/california-wo...er-patrol-133609775--abc-news-topstories.html

Authorities are investigating the fatal shooting of a 32-year-old woman in the suburban San Diego area after she allegedly hit a Border Patrol agent with her car.
Investigators said Valeria Alvarado ran down the agent with her car as border patrol agents were in a Chula Vista neighborhood to serve a felony warrant on Friday.
The agent said he had no choice but to defend himself and fired at Alvarado get her to stop the car.

Alvarado was hit by five bullets.

According to eye witnesses, the shooting left the mother of five with bullet holes in her face, arms, and chest.

"She literally ran our agent down, the agent actually was impacted, was hit by the vehicle and carried several hundred yards on the hood before fearing for his life did discharge his weapon to get the vehicle to stop," said Border Patrol Deputy Chief Rodney Scott.

Right now, there are conflicting statements from various witnesses and the law enforcement folks.

One thing for certain, though, if the witness' statement of "the officer fired at her vehicle as she was backing up" holds any truth, then I'd really like to get a hold of some of that duty-issued ammo, since it can put that big of a crumple in a windshield... ;)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/valeria-al...-border-patrol/story?id=17359380#.UGslcZbfXKQ

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say yes, he was justified in doing what he did. Sure, people will say why didn't you move out of the way? Why didn't you shoot the tires? Why didn't you shoot the engine? Gee, here's a thought....why didn't you just pull over rather than trying to run the agent down?!?!?!?!?!??! Gotta love how people do something bad, then cry foul when THEIR actions dictate what the cops do. I'd also like to see proof that the agent didn't call an ambulance. Of course, gotta love some of the comments that were posted on one of those links. People saying, "What did you expect? I'd do the same thingif some guy in plain clothes came up to my car. What if he was trying to carjack her?" Do we know for a fact that this agent was in plain clothes? And even if he was, I'd find it hard to believe that he wouldn't a) ID himself or b) have a badge visable.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd say yes, he was justified in doing what he did. Sure, people will say why didn't you move out of the way? Why didn't you shoot the tires? Why didn't you shoot the engine? Gee, here's a thought....why didn't you just pull over rather than trying to run the agent down?!?!?!?!?!??! Gotta love how people do something bad, then cry foul when THEIR actions dictate what the cops do. I'd also like to see proof that the agent didn't call an ambulance. Of course, gotta love some of the comments that were posted on one of those links. People saying, "What did you expect? I'd do the same thingif some guy in plain clothes came up to my car. What if he was trying to carjack her?" Do we know for a fact that this agent was in plain clothes? And even if he was, I'd find it hard to believe that he wouldn't a) ID himself or b) have a badge visable.

As with most news stories like this. I agree, wait until the facts are in.

At it's basic level, if your life is in danger and the person is actively using their vehicle to inflict that harm you can use deadly force to stop it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know enough, and the accounts are too contradictory and sensationalized at this point to assess. I will note that something clearly hit the windshield, and the car was probably moving forward faster than 25 mph based on the apparent height. Whether that was before or after the shots, I don't know. I don't know whether or how the agent identified himself. I don't know what led him to be making contact with the woman, or whether she had any sort of involvement with the subject of the warrant.

Oh... and the woman's husband? He doesn't want justice. He wants vengeance. Not at all the same thing.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If someone is ON your windshield and you continue to drive, you probably need shooting.
There was a guy last year, who drove 51 MILES with his wife on the hood of a minivan, if she had had a gun she probably wouldn't have gone 1mile...

Latest Discussions