Beanbags and border patrol agents

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put this column here because although it is a law enforcment story, it also bears on out border control policy discussion and how seriously those in power are addressing it.

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/murdered-border-patrol-agent-brian-terry-was-armed-with-beanbags/

When the suspected aliens did not drop their weapons, two Border Patrol agents deployed “less than lethal” beanbags at the suspected aliens. At this time, at least one of the suspected aliens fired at the Border Patrol agents. Two Border Patrol agents returned fire, one with his long gun and one with his pistol.
Border Patrol agent Brian Terry was shot with one bullet and died shortly after. One of the suspected illegal aliens, later identified as Manuel Osorio-Arellanes, was also shot.
Yes, you read that correctly. Faced with men using rifles, Border Patrol agents used beanbags. Why? Because of an alleged agency policy that requires engaging armed men with beanbag rounds.
Agency doctrine that all but assured the eventual death of a federal agent. BORTAC agent Brian Terry just happened to be that first unfortunate victim of a policy developed as a combination of bureaucratic ineptitude and feel-good policing mandated by those far from the front line of America’s Third War.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly, they probably had to do this, because the BHC (Bleeding Hearts Club) would complain. I can hear it now...."Why did the BP have to shoot them? They shouldn't use guns. They should shoot them in the leg." Blah, blah, blah. Nothing wrong with a less-lethal tool, but IMO, the situation has to be right. Hopefully the people in charge will get their **** together, so as to avoid another LE death.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good lord!

Nope, that's all I have. I think the rest can be inferred.

Latest Discussions